Can I turn left?

Carmour

I been driving for more than a decade. This question is always on my mind...

At junctions where there are left turn arrows, the left turn arrow will always coming up when the round lights are red. See below.

traffic-light.jpg

When the left turn arrow blinks and disappears, the round lights will carry on being red for 2 secs before turning green. Happens at all junctions.

Question is this. In that 2 secs, can I turn left?

↡ Advertisement

dont think so....just wait for the main light to turn green. Usually it will be only a few second before the red light changes to green!

Edited by Eviilusion

the red is for a purpose... cos when the green arrow lit pedestrian cannot cross... but once green arrow gone, green man comes on for pedestrian to cross... so with the red light at least cars turning left will need to slow down or stop to look out for pedestrian crossing.. safety feature i would say...

• Praise 3

No, essentially you're beating the red light.

But most of the time you will notice that the green man only comes on when the light goes green again, not before. If there are any junctions that contradict this (green man come on before green light) please do let me know.

But most of the time you will notice that the green man only comes on when the light goes green again, not before. If there are any junctions that contradict this (green man come on before green light) please do let me know.

you LTA engineer ah?

This type normally happens at T-junction where green light is in favour of traffic coming out from minor road to main road, it allows main road traffic that is turning left into minor road to proceed while those going straight is RED. Quite common.

No need to guess. The answer is a straight NO. So obvious. Left arrow no longer lighting up so you are at a red light junction. Follow that

Twincharged

No. When you see the green arrow blinking you are supposed to stop if you can already. Only move off after the light turn green. Cuz pedestrians are going to start crossing soon.

Can turn left but don't get caught. By right if there are pedestrians crossing the crossing and towards your direction, you are not supposed to turn also. Have to wait for them to finish crossing. I think many drivers forget this already. Was reminded by a TP last week after he saw me turning left when there were pedestrians crossing walking towards my direction. They were quite far away, not even at the divider yet. Gave me a verbal warning and reminded me by right cannot turn yet.

Edited by Nzy

Law by law, no. But there's actually no harm if the next transition is a green light. In fact, it may be safer because often the main green is timed with the green man coming on for the crossing, so it's actually riskier to wait for the green light.

An example of this sort of junction is the left turn from Kitchener Road into Tessensohn Rod (leading directly to Race Course Road). The pedestrian traffic here is usually not as heavy as at the main Serangoon Road, but it's still safer to go on the arrow (when it's a red man) or even in that brief instant when the arrow has gone off and before the main green light comes on (at that point, it's a green man for them).

This is just another example of the piss-poor traffic planning and light design so prevalent in Singapore. They could easily have changed the light timing to have overlapping green light and green arrow, followed by a red arrow for added pedestrian safety. For example, green arrow + red light (phase 1) -> green light + green arrow (phase 2) [optional, may transition straight from phase 1 to 3] - > green light + blinking green arrow (phase 3) -> green light + red arrow (phase 4) -> orange light + red arrow (phase 5) -> back to phase 1. The green man comes on shortly after phase 4 begins and ends shortly before phase 5 ends (red man the rest of the time). Instead, we have a bit of a clusterf**k.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1