Evening traffic jam vs No evening ERP. Choose 1

Kxbc

Turbocharged

Authorities say that ERP is to control traffic conditions to optimise traffic flow. And that is why they installed evening ERP so that we can all stagger our journey timings home.

Would you support no evening ERP (maybe except for Orchard Road area) and run the high risk of being stuck in traffic jams or stick with existing situation?

↡ Advertisement

Authorities say that ERP is to control traffic conditions to optimise traffic flow. And that is why they installed evening ERP so that we can all stagger our journey timings home.

Would you support no evening ERP (maybe except for Orchard Road area) and run the high risk of being stuck in traffic jams or stick with existing situation?

eh.. i pay ERP.. i still have evening jam... where to complain ah?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

i took the unpopular choice. Work until 8pm then leave and reach home by 9pm then can have dinner and 2 hours of my own time (if lucky no need to work from home) before i have to repeat the damned cycle again.

between the two, i'll pick paying for ERP any time. as they say, if you can afford to buy a car in SG, you should also be able to afford the toll.

perhaps due to the different perspectives from my biz travels within asia, i don't really feel that traffic jams in SG are that big a deal despite all the rants. if you've been to jakarta, manila, beijing or any busy cities in india, you'll be so grateful driving in SG peak hour traffic. like my foreign colleagues like to say, "traffic jams in SG, are you kidding me?"

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

merge this thread with MCE? [lipsrsea

Not related to MCE. Just general discussion on evening ERP.

Twincharged

I think if there was no ERP, the jams there will be even worse. At least our traffic jams are not like other countries. I wouldn't mind paying $20-30 if they can remove the jam totally.

Turbocharged

between the two, i'll pick paying for ERP any time. as they say, if you can afford to buy a car in SG, you should also be able to afford the toll.

perhaps due to the different perspectives from my biz travels within asia, i don't really feel that traffic jams in SG are that big a deal despite all the rants. if you've been to jakarta, manila, beijing or any busy cities in india, you'll be so grateful driving in SG peak hour traffic. like my foreign colleagues like to say, "traffic jams in SG, are you kidding me?"

I try often to those cities you had mentioned for work. The jams there are horrendous, peak or non peak hours. That I agree fully. But I would think that their road infra is also very below optimal planning and execution, thus leading to traffic snarls.

Supercharged

TS don't mean to insult you, which part of S'pore did you spotted with ERP in operation and yet no jam?

I rather go wout ERP then to pay and still face jam cos the original intent of ERP is not there anymore.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

TS don't mean to insult you, which part of S'pore did you spotted with ERP in operation and yet no jam?

I rather go wout ERP then to pay and still face jam cos the original intent of ERP is not there anymore.

with or w/o ERP, there will still be jams. The question is what is tolerable jam. That is subjective as everyone has different levels of tolerance.

actually i don't mind the evening ERPs as it does reduce traffic snarls except that some of the locations are a bit of a suspect to me. Eg Marina area (night time and weekends) and CTE northbound.

I try often to those cities you had mentioned for work. The jams there are horrendous, peak or non peak hours. That I agree fully. But I would think that their road infra is also very below optimal planning and execution, thus leading to traffic snarls.

yeah.. poor (or zero) road planning in those places is definitely a major factor. i asked my local colleagues why are there abandoned half-finished roads or even unfinished expressway pillars lying around. they told me it's because the original budget was dried up funding the various under-table kopi money. i'm really glad at least there's no such nonsense going on in SG (that results in such state of affairs).

Turbocharged

there was once i was in a south asian country capital city. my car only moved prob 200m in 45 min. [furious]

The number of vehicles determines the traffic flow.

In the morning, one has to make the choice to drive or not to, depending on the ERP rates.

In the evening, when one is ALREADY driving, is there a choice not to drive?

I would choose not paying ERP because whether pay or not pay ERP, there will be jam. LTA just over the year psycho many car users to believe that ERP solve traffic problem... Rubbish. Pui..

ERP is useless in CBD area la....the cheapest season parking in raffles place area is still 300+

How many of these payers of this lots will intentionally stay late to save a NETT 40~60Sgd/mth?

I agree! Singapore's traffic jams are tiny compared to Jakarta and Manila. While we might whine about COE costs and ERP, the fact is, if there was no such costs, there will be more vehicles on the roads, and then, the jams will be as bad as maybe KL or Jakarta. IMHO, the worst of SEA is still Manila.

Singapore jams, manual car can still tahan. If it's like Manila, I think, I'll never get manual, even if manual was cheaper by a lot. My left leg sure cramp.

I think if there was no ERP, the jams there will be even worse. At least our traffic jams are not like other countries. I wouldn't mind paying $20-30 if they can remove the jam totally.

$20-30 might be too much lah, but I support ERP to remain.

If you want to remove most of the jam, raise ALL ERP rates between say 5.30-6.30 to $10 or even higher, and other times, just drop back to normal. So the 5.30-6.30pm time slot is the "premium" timeslot, for people who don't want to be stuck in jam at certain time. However, this isn't guarantee of jam free roads, just jam free ERP zones.

↡ Advertisement