Using power bank with Car Cam

Carnoob

Anyone had tried using power bank as the alternative power source when car engine is off? Just wondering as seen on website people selling car cam with power bank. Is it easier than to use car battery which you would need to wire the car cam? But would it be safer?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Both methods got good and bad. Its up to individual preferences.

For me, I would prefer to use a power bank.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Both methods got good and bad. Its up to individual preferences.

For me, I would prefer to use a power bank.

how big is the power bank needed to to be able to at least last overnight?

i ever used a 12000ma one, but dried up in a few hours.. probably the china one gave a kelong rating..

• Praise 1

Supercharged

how big is the power bank needed to to be able to at least last overnight?

i ever used a 12000ma one, but dried up in a few hours.. probably the china one gave a kelong rating..

Sorry, but I haven't use any power bank before. I just replied that I would prefer to use power bank, if given a choice....

:D

Neutral Newbie

I been using 10000ma power bank, last time use on blackvue carcam can last about 20hr. Now use on marbella mx6 can only last about 12hr. I always leave my cam on motion detection mode. The power bank i use also cheapo type only $30, From Worldwide computer shop in sim lim.

• Praise 1

but using power bank is kinda troublesome.

one has to remember to bring the power bank home to charge and its like a daily job?

what if you are not driving for a few days and i am doubtful that the power bank can last that long.

how about getting another car battery and just for the cam? anyone did this?

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I set my car cam to power off either after 24hr or when the battery falls below 12v. About a month ago, found that the cam always powers off after 12hrs, especially when parked under hot sun, so I take it as a sign that the car battery is dying (about 2yr old). Then I change the battery to a 60AH battery and now things are back to normal. In this way, the car cam can be used to tell you about the state of your car battery.

• Praise 1

one has to remember to bring the power bank home to charge and its like a daily job?

what if you are not driving for a few days and i am doubtful that the power bank can last that long.

Car batteries are not built for deep discharged. Draining it constantly without charging will shorten its life.

It also need to be mounted in a correct position sitting straight up. If you tilt it sideways, acid may spill out.

Other types of batteries such as SLA are more suitable for car cam.

These type of batteries and "power banks" can also be charged by plugging in to the dc socket, when your engine is running, or alternatively bring it to a AC charger.

• Praise 1

If you want to use lead acid battery, I suggest you use deep cycle ( AGM or gel sealed) battery. If you know your cam wattage, then it is very easy to compute the battery amp hr depending on how frequent you wish to charge the battery directly from a standalone charger . You have to have a charger that is able to charger deep cycle battery ( aka traction battery )

• Praise 1

I set my car cam to power off either after 24hr or when the battery falls below 12v. About a month ago, found that the cam always powers off after 12hrs, especially when parked under hot sun, so I take it as a sign that the car battery is dying (about 2yr old). Then I change the battery to a 60AH battery and now things are back to normal. In this way, the car cam can be used to tell you about the state of your car battery.

previously what battery amp are you using before you replace it to a 60ah?

• Praise 1

Are u using thinkware DVR

• Praise 1

Hi there,

I am thinking about doing the same setup. Do you have to keep plugging in and out the USB cable? How do you connect?

Car Cig->USB adaptor->power bank->dash cam that is compatible to 5v?

Thanks.

I been using 10000ma power bank, last time use on blackvue carcam can last about 20hr. Now use on marbella mx6 can only last about 12hr. I always leave my cam on motion detection mode. The power bank i use also cheapo type only $30, From Worldwide computer shop in sim lim.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1