Buying A Commercial Vehicle

Hondasteam

Note that commercial vehicle has no PARF value.

If it's totalled in an accident, it's gone. Only good for scrap.

↡ Advertisement

Not sure of the official rules but I know my uncle who drives a PA plate Hiace bus uses the car lane when he goes in alone. He just drives through and haven't encountered any problems yet.

Good to know thanks -

This brings me much closer to buying such a vehicle :-)

But I was told by my ws that another ws on upper floor of the centre kana investigated due to helping its cust illegal mod. Understand its an 1.6 impreza & owner TC it........& happily spread his new found happiness online.

So maybe they know the "van type" is desperate measures by desperate families so......1 eye? I would like to believe so. [gossip] Supposedly pro family mah.... [:p] So these are the real BnB cars.... [lipsrsealed]

Yeah...but do understand that illegal mod is a bit different to illegal passenger....

A fren of mine hired a minibus and at the immigration, they were made to get off with luggage to clear customs individually. You just can't sit inside like a passenger car.

That's y commercial vehicles coe keep rising. Sad for those business that really need them for their day to day operations.

Also take note commercial vehicles have no "parf" value. So end of 10years only left scrap metal value. Prob 2-4k.

Why people keep on harping no PARF value? Very strange! It's actually an upfront tax to discourage people from using the vehicle for more than 10 years. When you buy a passenger car, this has already been factored into it and refund to you at end of year 10 when you scrap it. You still want PARF for commerical vehicles?

G Plate got restriction on who can be ferried? I took my uncle's G plate since young. Nothing happen to us. The only understanding I have is G plate for business registered can sit 2 pax plus 1 driver in front. Sole proprietary only can sit 1 pax plus 1 driver. This is to discourage using G plate to fetch passenger. Now they said to fetch passenger behind, need to be sheltered. For van, not easy to catch since it is already sheltered.

A fren of mine hired a minibus and at the immigration, they were made to get off with luggage to clear customs individually. You just can't sit inside like a passenger car.

When you say "hired a minibus" what do you mean?

Did it come with a driver? Was it a PA or a CB plate?

And which customs - SG or Malaysia? Malaysia customs office in KL ever tell me that if empty / no paying passengers can just drive in - but I couldn't get this in writing.

G Plate got restriction on who can be ferried? I took my uncle's G plate since young. Nothing happen to us. The only understanding I have is G plate for business registered can sit 2 pax plus 1 driver in front. Sole proprietary only can sit 1 pax plus 1 driver. This is to discourage using G plate to fetch passenger. Now they said to fetch passenger behind, need to be sheltered. For van, not easy to catch since it is already sheltered.

Yeah - I also don't understand the preoccupation with PARF -

You don't pay when you buy, so why should you be worried about refund? I would much rather have lower upfront cost than higher upfront with a refund.

For those that are interested - here's a copy of the requirements for a G plate to drive into Malaysia...

Edited by Darryn
  • Praise 1

It's ridiculous to see what ppl write here. LTA can't be bothered who you ferry to work in the van. Unless the van get into accident when driver is not on his way to work or delivery goods dan the insurance company may consider denying any claims done. Coz it not used for its intended purpose.

If LTA decides to remove the COE for commercial vehicles dan they will surely put in place measures that ppl do not get to exploit the usage on these vehicles. And they will surely replace the COE with some other tax. Maybe increase road tax or something.

It's not the first day that you know the authorities.

When you say "hired a minibus" what do you mean?

Did it come with a driver? Was it a PA or a CB plate?

And which customs - SG or Malaysia? Malaysia customs office in KL ever tell me that if empty / no paying passengers can just drive in - but I couldn't get this in writing.

Yeah - I also don't understand the preoccupation with PARF -

You don't pay when you buy, so why should you be worried about refund? I would much rather have lower upfront cost than higher upfront with a refund.

For those that are interested - here's a copy of the requirements for a G plate to drive into Malaysia...

SG Customs.

1 more thing I heard is that if u have window panel behind, = pte vehicle road tax liao.

And, insurance only cover persons seating in front legally.

Those seated behind, even with seat belt & all, its at own risk. No insur coverage.

It's ridiculous to see what ppl write here. LTA can't be bothered who you ferry to work in the van. Unless the van get into accident when driver is not on his way to work or delivery goods dan the insurance company may consider denying any claims done. Coz it not used for its intended purpose.

If LTA decides to remove the COE for commercial vehicles dan they will surely put in place measures that ppl do not get to exploit the usage on these vehicles. And they will surely replace the COE with some other tax. Maybe increase road tax or something.

It's not the first day that you know the authorities.

Thanks for the important tip.

Like that must scrutinize insurance contract & pay more if required within feasible limits.

• Praise 1

I think last time, the double-cab pick up very popular when introduced to Singapore. Many people cheong to buy and used it as personal vehicle instead of goods carrier. That's when gahment came in to plug the supposedly "loophole" and tada...................... overnight, double-cab pickup become GPV. And suddenly, it became a slow-selling pickup.

Then, it ended up, pickups and mini-lorries are used to ferry overloaded workers, and then.......................... another rule came out...........................................

Why people keep on harping no PARF value? Very strange! It's actually an upfront tax to discourage people from using the vehicle for more than 10 years. When you buy a passenger car, this has already been factored into it and refund to you at end of year 10 when you scrap it. You still want PARF for commerical vehicles?

Don't think that's harping.

It's a need to know, in case people go buy commercial vehicle and then kpkb when they find out no parf value.

• Praise 2

Is actually quite hard to find clear and comprehensive information on LTA website -

Certain parts they are very clear, other parts it is very opaque. For example the goods come passenger vehicle thing - I couldn't find a definition of what qualifies as this on their site.

Is actually quite hard to find clear and comprehensive information on LTA website -

Certain parts they are very clear, other parts it is very opaque. For example the goods come passenger vehicle thing - I couldn't find a definition of what qualifies as this on their site.

[laugh] sometimes it's too clear (too lengthy), you forget/dis-orientated after completed reading the whole paragraph. That's why many people still come to MCF to ask very basic questions like "need to buy OPC permit on eve of Valentine's Day?" [:p]

1 more thing I heard is that if u have window panel behind, = pte vehicle road tax liao.

And, insurance only cover persons seating in front legally.

Those seated behind, even with seat belt & all, its at own risk. No insur coverage.

Fiat Doblo & Volkwagon caddy.. some models have all side windows. tax similar as any commercial panel van

FYI, those seated behind can be still covered udr workman comp insurance but must be the van registered co's employees.

Twincharged

Those are the goods and passenger vehicles. Like those double cab pickups. Charged ARF like pte cars cuz if they didn't alot of people will probably use it as a pte car. That's why in Sg so many companies rather get single cab pickups and let the workers sit at the back.

[laugh] sometimes it's too clear (too lengthy), you forget/dis-orientated after completed reading the whole paragraph. That's why many people still come to MCF to ask very basic questions like "need to buy OPC permit on eve of Valentine's Day?" [:p]

LOL.... don't lah, don't like tat so heartless, VALENTINE DAY leh, why LTA don't give chance a bit??!!

↡ Advertisement