PTC announces fare review/increase!

Darthrevan

Move towards lesser population? Dont think it will ever happen liao. Last heard think they are still continue to increase the population here but at a slower pace only. They always emphasis aging population, so if dont increase the population here, we will be in trouble in future?!

Precisely what i trying to mean. No matter which line you take, nowadays even off peak also no seat.

thats the damaged done by the policies they implimented in the 70s, 80s and the most f-up in the 90s. For every subsequent child after the 2nd....you have to pay a penalty. No apology till now but suddenly say we arent producing enough. They penalised us earlier but then later says its our fault....
↡ Advertisement

They are not prepared with the aging population problem in the past and now shoving their problems into our throats. 

With automation happening in many of the jobs in future to spur the economy faster than human labor, why are we still bound at the obsolete idea that more people is good when more people is actually a problem instead? More people is not going to be sustainable either. I don't want to pay more taxes or serve NS for a country when half of the population are not its people born and grow up here.

Just look at how many jobs are going to lose to automation just in the airport alone. 

If you say half of population are not its people born and grow here? Then they would tell you it is the people who born and grow up here doesnt want to help to increase the population here. So they have no choice but to bring in people from outside to help grow lo. This is why they need to convert a certain number of PR here to citizens, hoping they will slowly born and grow up here?! Lol.

Take bus la

Take bus very time consuming le, and makes me giddy. Lol. Imagine i need to wait 15 mins for a bus, then bus ride take another 45 mins, total time spend to go from one place to another place at least 1 hour. And this might consider not a very far distance and yet need to spend so much time?!

thats the damaged done by the policies they implimented in the 70s, 80s and the most f-up in the 90s. For every subsequent child after the 2nd....you have to pay a penalty. No apology till now but suddenly say we arent producing enough. They penalised us earlier but then later says its our fault....

They blame us that even after they lifted such stop at 2 policy, and later give so many incentives to encourage the younger generation to produce and yet younger generation all so 'selfish' dont want to give birth. Lol.

They find it is 'fair' for people to pay for new mrt lines, new buses, new hospital and new airport, as there is no free lunch in this world de. And if you want good standard of service and reliable public transport, you also have to pay for it. [rolleyes]

i agree no free lunch......we pay even when we eat at hawker centers or kopishop......but they can dine in the best restaurants with their overblown paychecks.....If we didnt grow our population to double in just a decade.....we wouldnt have all these problems! 15-20 yrs ago we were coping rather well......but not now eversince the floodgates were opened it has been downhill.

Supersonic

If you say half of population are not its people born and grow here? Then they would tell you it is the people who born and grow up here doesnt want to help to increase the population here. So they have no choice but to bring in people from outside to help grow lo. This is why they need to convert a certain number of PR here to citizens, hoping they will slowly born and grow up here?! Lol.

They blame us that even after they lifted such stop at 2 policy, and later give so many incentives to encourage the younger generation to produce and yet younger generation all so 'selfish' dont want to give birth. Lol.

If they want locals to increase the population then stop increasing the costs of living here and make costs of living in tandem with wages increase. If they don't, no matter how many foreigners they bring in, they will eventually leave here. Who wants to live in the world's most expensive country for their whole lives when their home country can give them the comfort with the money earned here? 

Take bus very time consuming le, and makes me giddy. Lol. Imagine i need to wait 15 mins for a bus, then bus ride take another 45 mins, total time spend to go from one place to another place at least 1 hour. And this might consider not a very far distance and yet need to spend so much time?!

Get your own transport lor 

Or drive UG.

Well, I don't really blame the 2 child policy but the open flood doors policy seriously give more problems to the country for the past decade. A terrible short cut solution that gives more problems. 

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

damaged done.....difficult to repair and change brainwashed minds. Did they lift the stop at 2 policy! I didnt read it in the newspaper....what i know after 2000 they started rolling out incentives for every child born.....no apology or admission of mistakes! 80s and 90s were the crucial yrs where those born then would be in their 20s and early 30s now! Instead of apologising which will be forthcoming with their point of view.....they go and open the floodgates.....

i agree no free lunch......we pay even when we eat at hawker centers or kopishop......but they can dine in the best restaurants with their overblown paychecks.....If we didnt grow our population to double in just a decade.....we wouldnt have all these problems! 15-20 yrs ago we were coping rather well......but not now eversince the floodgates were opened it has been downhill.

I believe until today they still dont see the opening of floodgates create much problem?! Even there are problems, they think they are confidence enough to solve it by 'hugging the buddha feet' by expanding the infrastructure now. They just want the people to be more patient and tolerate now, things would get better when all the new infrastructure are up many years later. Lol.

damaged done.....difficult to repair and change brainwashed minds. Did they lift the stop at 2 policy! I didnt read it in the newspaper....what i know after 2000 they started rolling out incentives for every child born.....no apology or admission of mistakes! 80s and 90s were the crucial yrs where those born then would be in their 20s and early 30s now! Instead of apologising which will be forthcoming with their point of view.....they go and open the floodgates.....

They thought opening of floodgates can solve all problems lo. And until today they still think this way.

Edited by 13177

If they want locals to increase the population then stop increasing the costs of living here and make costs of living in tandem with wages increase. If they don't, no matter how many foreigners they bring in, they will eventually leave here. Who wants to live in the world's most expensive country for their whole lives when their home country can give them the comfort with the money earned here?

Get your own transport lor

Or drive UG.

Well, I don't really blame the 2 child policy but the open flood doors policy seriously give more problems to the country for the past decade. A terrible short cut solution that gives more problems.

they opened the floodgates because we werent producing more......and the stop at 2 policy was the main cause! Its easy for me to say with hindsight.....but many of my friends werent happy especially with being penalised when having the 3rd and so on and so forth. A few of them (malays and chinese) had 4-5 kids but most had 1-2 kids......its a vicious cycle....with the cost of living the main factor on our decision.

I believe until today they still dont see the opening of floodgates create much problem?! Even there are problems, they think they are confidence enough to solve it by 'hugging the buddha feet' by expanding the infrastructure now. They just want the people to be more patient and tolerate now, things would get better when all the new infrastructure are up many years later. Lol.

They thought opening of floodgates can solve all problems lo. And until today they still think this way.

oaid millions but can oni think of such solutions......knn! They should be given a D grade.....sia!

Supersonic

they opened the floodgates because we werent producing more......and the stop at 2 policy was the main cause! Its easy for me to say with hindsight.....but many of my friends werent happy especially with being penalised when having the 3rd and so on and so forth. A few of them (malays and chinese) had 4-5 kids but most had 1-2 kids......its a vicious cycle....with the cost of living the main factor on our decision.

oaid millions but can oni think of such solutions......knn! They should be given a D grade.....sia!

What I can only say is the stop at 2 policy although harsh, but is crucial for our country in the 70s and 80s to build up and modernise our country to attract foreign investments back then to provide the success that we enjoyed in the 90s onwards.

I guess our late LKY saw something of what happened in the China population policy changes from the 70s to 80s that might have inspired him to introduce the policy. Limited resources and vast financial resources are really in urge of need to modernise our housing, ports, airport, education, armed forces, roads, etc etc. 

Singapore was a young nation back then. Since independence till 1990 when he stepped down as PM, a short span of 25 years to achieve these, Singapore back then really in need of such vast financial resources by its own and generated from its own. How to feed and take care of more people? If China back then didn't stop at one, it's population problems might be worse than India now and won't be a superpower now.

Now we have the riches and financial resources but instead of solving the population problems, they choose to pay millions for themselves every year.

Sigh, say some more, makes it sadder to think about it.  

Edited by DACH

What I can only say is the stop at 2 policy although harsh, but is crucial for our country in the 70s and 80s to build up and modernise our country to attract foreign investments back then to provide the success that we enjoyed in the 90s onwards.

I guess our late LKY saw something of what happened in the China population policy changes from the 70s to 80s that might have inspired him to introduce the policy. Limited resources and vast financial resources are really in urge of need to modernise our housing, ports, airport, education, armed forces, roads, etc etc.

Singapore was a young nation back then. Since independence till 1990 when he stepped down as PM, a short span of 25 years to achieve these, Singapore back then really in need of such vast financial resources by its own and generated from its own. How to feed and take care of more people? If China back then didn't stop at one, it's population problems might be worse than India now and won't be a superpower now.

Now we have the riches and financial resources but instead of solving the population problems, they choose to pay millions for themselves every year.

Sigh, say some more, makes it sadder to think about it.

well China population was huge even back then.....even if 1 million birth a year the expansion will be devastating. We oni had 1.8 million citizens in the 80s not withstanding pr and wp and ep holders....out of that 1.8 millions slightly half of them are females and how many are of child-bearing age.....1/3?, 1/2? These decision makers have all the datas available to them but still insists with the 2 is enough policy till late into the 90s which some in the normal populace with lower iq was very much against from its onset. The stop-gap measures are taking a toll on everyone and the infrastructure but ya as philip said...... we deserve it!

Supersonic

well China population was huge even back then.....even if 1 million birth a year the expansion will be devastating. We oni had 1.8 million citizens in the 80s not withstanding pr and wp and ep holders....out of that 1.8 millions slightly half of them are females and how many are of child-bearing age.....1/3?, 1/2? These decision makers have all the datas available to them but still insists with the 2 is enough policy till late into the 90s which some in the normal populace with lower iq was very much against from its onset. The stop-gap measures are taking a toll on everyone and the infrastructure but ya as philip said...... we deserve it!

Well. even if there is no 2 child policy, I am not sure how the labor market is going to be like if most of the kids born in the 70s and 80s wants to find high SES jobs with majority of them as graduates or diploma holders.

Some good, some bad, I think.

However now it's the problem of high costs of living that keeps increasing in this country and a more educated population, especially women, who wants to be more career focused. In fact, it is a trend in many countries around the world as their population gets more educated. So actually what's the problem? A smaller global population might be sustainable in the long run for all, especially the future generations. And it is trending towards that since the growth is projected to drop in a few decades time.

Well. even if there is no 2 child policy, I am not sure how the labor market is going to be like if most of the kids born in the 70s and 80s wants to find high SES jobs with majority of them as graduates or diploma holders.

Some good, some bad, I think.

However now it's the problem of high costs of living that keeps increasing in this country and a more educated population, especially women, who wants to be more career focused. In fact, it is a trend in many countries around the world as their population gets more educated. So actually what's the problem? A smaller global population might be sustainable in the long run for all, especially the future generations. And it is trending towards that since the growth is projected to drop in a few decades time.

not all wants that high ses job lei! As long as the pay is decent and keeps pace with inflation, it should be okay! Who wants to dine in an atas restaurant every other day and holidays....one or twice a year is okay lar.......holidaying abroad is actually a very tiring affair hor!

Yes.....every developed nation with highly educated populace had reached that population plateau and arrived there very much earlier than us.....we were late-comers to the 1st world but had reached that plateau even before we were a developed nation. Thats the result of social engineering and not because of.... we were suddenly highly educated.

Hypersonic

erm..... time out from all the kpkb and ask yourselves

1. who did you vote for?

2. how many kids do you have?

ok now pls continue your kpkb

1. who did you vote for?

Supersonic

not all wants that high ses job lei! As long as the pay is decent and keeps pace with inflation, it should be okay! Who wants to dine in an atas restaurant every other day and holidays....one or twice a year is okay lar.......holidaying abroad is actually a very tiring affair hor!

Yes.....every developed nation with highly educated populace had reached that population plateau and arrived there very much earlier than us.....we were late-comers to the 1st world but had reached that plateau even before we were a developed nation. Thats the result of social engineering and not because of.... we were suddenly highly educated.

Not all but most of the University graduates these days want a high SES job. Just look at the job situation now. How many graduates actually want a job that pays less than SGD 2,000?

I agree that our pay needs to be in pace with inflation. But with costs of living keep increasing, how to sustain?

Supersonic

i didnt vote for you know who.......but i have 2 kids, 1 in 93 and another in 05. Would be tough being a father again at 40 plus...my wife had 4 miscarriages after our 1st born so cant actually blame us hor!

Wah, 40 plus father to a new born?

Not all but most of the University graduates these days want a high SES job. Just look at the job situation now. How many graduates actually want a job that pays less than SGD 2,000?

I agree that our pay needs to be in pace with inflation. But with costs of living keep increasing, how to sustain?

how many from a single cohort actually go on to get a degree from our 2 established universities (not those open unis) and of course these graduates would want a good paying job. There are more students getting diplomas, higher nitec and lower and these are the ones that are earning sub $2000. Having a degree and beyond doesnt guarantee success but it sure brings in the dole. Its rather hard to believe graduates earning sub $2000.....might as well join the civil service cause the starting pay for a graduate is in the region of $2.6k last i checked.

Wah, 40 plus father to a new born?

no....i became a father again at 39 but my twin became a father at 46.......they are expecting number 3 this coming months.....

Supersonic

how many from a single cohort actually go on to get a degree from our 2 established universities (not those open unis) and of course these graduates would want a good paying job. There are more students getting diplomas, higher nitec and lower and these are the ones that are earning sub $2000. Having a degree and beyond doesnt guarantee success but it sure brings in the dole. Its rather hard to believe graduates earning sub $2000.....might as well join the civil service cause the starting pay for a graduate is in the region of $2.6k last i checked.

no....i became a father again at 39 but my twin became a father at 46.......they are expecting number 3 this coming months.....ððð

Well, that is if you take in account of a batch of young people who only goes to the two local university. However as distance learning degrees getting popular with more young people interested to get a degree and people who can afford to study overseas, it's inevitable that the younger generation as a whole will want better paying jobs.

Given this society as being a very competitive rat race, how many wants to lose out?

Well, he should plan out well for his kids in case situation here turns one day.

Edited by DACH

1. who did you vote for?

ð

You 165kg need to pay 2x fare hor. [laugh]
↡ Advertisement