Has anyone used an Air Fryer before?

Albeniz

Hong Kong consumer watchdog warns of the dangers of roasting?

Everything is roasted in Hong Kong.

Roast pork, char siew, roast duck, roast goose, roast chicken.

What don't they roast in Hong Kong?

The chief executive also kenna roasted everyday.

Why warn about air fryer?

So no air fryer no roasting in Hong Kong?

:D

When consumer watch dogs go after something silly they are not going after the real monopoly.

They should look into housing developers.

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

Best is to be a "Teochew". LOL... Everything also steam.....

Just have a CNY lunch at Teochew restaurant 'Di Wei Teochew Restaurant' at Seletar Aerospace.  Traditional Teochew steam fish, Or-nee etc. 

All dishes are not oily and healthy cooking.

• Praise 3

23 hours ago, Tohto said:

Just have a CNY lunch at Teochew restaurant 'Di Wei Teochew Restaurant' at Seletar Aerospace.  Traditional Teochew steam fish, Or-nee etc. 

All dishes are not oily and healthy cooking.

Just try to avoid/minimize intake of Kiam Chye, Kana Chye, Salted Fish which the Teochew loves also. 

• Haha! 1

I think many ppl will think the air fryer is something new when it is not. In simple terms the air fryer is nothing but an oven with an internal fan. And the sad thing is it doesnt fry anything despite its name. I will still prefer an oil type of deep fryer. It's also faster at frying food and the fried food will taste better. If you really want healthier choice, dont eat fried food.

I would say dont waste your time and money on any brand of air fryer. It is more expensive than an oven and some ovens now come with an internal fan...and it is cheaper.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

16 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I think many ppl will think the air fryer is something new when it is not. In simple terms the air fryer is nothing but an oven with an internal fan. And the sad thing is it doesnt fry anything despite its name. I will still prefer an oil type of deep fryer. It's also faster at frying food and the fried food will taste better. If you really want healthier choice, dont eat fried food.

I would say dont waste your time and money on any brand of air fryer. It is more expensive than an oven and some ovens now come with an internal fan...and it is cheaper.

Yes, it is like a oven.

But for smaller portion, I prefer use the air fryer. It heat up faster and cook faster than the oven.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 4

On 2/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, Watwheels said:

Although I agree, the way to make your "oven" into fryer is you have to glaze alot of oil on the food coz its the oil doing the work of "frying"... otherwise its just an oven. So in the end sama sama you may as well drip your food longer after you take out of regular fryer for similar effect and better taste

Anyway my oven got fan... abit slower but basically its the same as air fryer so dun need airfryer that takes up so much space. Microwave got "grill"/"oven" function also basically can be airfryer also lol

Neutral Newbie

I decided to make pancakes using the microwave and air fryer hahaha since we ran out of gas :D check them out

the one on the left is microwave, the one on the right is air fryer

both are tasty though but the air fryer one is better for me. it's crunchy like a muffin :D

PANCAKES.png

• Praise 2

Supersonic

tp-air-frying-6.png

Air fryer handle has a fundamental flaw in design. Mine is broken. It's due to the heat and plastic. 3 screws hold the handle, 1 at the top, 2 at the bottom. The top 1 screw is holding all the weight (really stupid design). When the plastic is heated repeatedly during usage, it will break after a while, and the single screw will not hold. The plastic opens just slightly, the hook is released and the pan comes falling down, with all your food. 

The heater happens to be very closed to the plastic handle (in the middle of the appliance). That's why it will fail after a while.

I was looking to replace the handle, but it's going to happen again, so no point buying these kind of air fryers. I saw a newer ones that looked like a mini oven, with no handles to break, I think probably they are better.

https://shopee.sg/Mayer-24L-Air-Fryer-Oven-MMAO24-i.122419387.7413815233

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

tp-air-frying-6.png

Air fryer handle has a fundamental flaw in design. Mine is broken. It's due to the heat and plastic. 3 screws hold the handle, 1 at the top, 2 at the bottom. The top 1 screw is holding all the weight (really stupid design). When the plastic is heated repeatedly during usage, it will break after a while, and the single screw will not hold. The plastic opens just slightly, the hook is released and the pan comes falling down, with all your food. 

The heater happens to be very closed to the plastic handle (in the middle of the appliance). That's why it will fail after a while.

I was looking to replace the handle, but it's going to happen again, so no point buying these kind of air fryers. I saw a newer ones that looked like a mini oven, with no handles to break, I think probably they are better.

https://shopee.sg/Mayer-24L-Air-Fryer-Oven-MMAO24-i.122419387.7413815233

haha i would probably ignore the "air fryer" part and just look at table top convection ovens with fans. I think basically serve all your purposes bah, though air fryer models can heat up the food very quickly due to the tiny space. The bigger the space is, the more your "air fryer" will behave like a normal larger convection oven.

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

We have both air fryer and oven for many years. Both are the same thing --> oven with internal fan.

Our style of cooking at home is such that we almost never used any oil during cooking. 99% steam or bake.

Basically, if space is a constraint, just get an oven, it is more versatile due to bigger space.

Air fryer might cook a little faster only because it has smaller internal volume so concentrates heat better.

Outcomes are the same as long as you know how to tune the setup, timing and power (heat).

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 4

Supersonic
On 5/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lala81 said:

haha i would probably ignore the "air fryer" part and just look at table top convection ovens with fans. I think basically serve all your purposes bah, though air fryer models can heat up the food very quickly due to the tiny space. The bigger the space is, the more your "air fryer" will behave like a normal larger convection oven.

Yeah, it's true about the space. Air fryer principle is for a fast fan blowing over a heater in a tight space.

Anyway I decide to mod the handle and locked it to the base plate, so now the hook won't give way and dropped the base plate. I drilled 2 holes in the right place and swap out for longer screws. Metal screws don't melt like plastic. Hope to get a few more years of usage out of this $60 air fryer. 😆

The heater and thermostat is working fine. It's just the handle poor design.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Only issue with air fryer is fries. Much higher concentration of acrylamide (naturally occur in potatoes, could cause cancer) compared to deep fried fries. To avoid, just make sure it doesn't exceed 180degC. Recent CNA documentary conducted this experiment. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/real-deal-air-fryers-much-healthier-deep-fried-food-acrylamide-14787938

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 1

Not only does air frying still run the risk of creating acrylamides, but polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines can result from all high-heat cooking with meat. These compounds have associations with cancer risk, according to the National Cancer Institute.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1