Question for Car Servicing

Quantum

How do you all learn? I've been trying to learn some stuff here and there to avoid workshop BS. My main weakness is the lack of mechanical ability :) Not confident of pulling apart parts to have a look myself...

pulling parts apart has to be learned like all skills. for me, issue is with electrical / electronics - nvr done well in this field, not even during tertiary exams.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I wud suggest a cheap mineral oil abt $15 plus $5 oil filter n labour $10-$15.

Total sud b abt $35 only.

Hi. Where can I buy cheap mineral oil and filter?

And where can I bring my own oil and filter to change at a low labour cost?

Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Service your car every 6 months, or like what you do, 10,000 km mileage. Earlier if you driving a older car as its better and safer that way. You can lookout for signs of breaking down, weird noises, unusual vibrations, lacking of proper combustion or power etc. 

https://www.motorist.sg/article/464/4-things-to-note-before-you-send-your-car-in-for-servicing

Just did 60K km servicing at tan chong.. they did the 'B' package.

My question is, if I go outside workshop for future servicing, is the A/B/C packages a standardised thing across the board? e.g. if I do 80K km servicing outside, is the workscope the same as tan chong 'C' package?

1801778809_nissanservpkg.thumb.PNG.d07148a16dc01de39f9bad2bd7f98898.PNG

10 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Just did 60K km servicing at tan chong.. they did the 'B' package.

My question is, if I go outside workshop for future servicing, is the A/B/C packages a standardised thing across the board? e.g. if I do 80K km servicing outside, is the workscope the same as tan chong 'C' package?

1801778809_nissanservpkg.thumb.PNG.d07148a16dc01de39f9bad2bd7f98898.PNG

Nope. The outside workshop will only do what you ask of them.

Aiya, the AD's packages add in their own set of services other than the usual engine oil replacement and engine oil filter. Eg. replace the aircon filter plus clean up the aircon ducts all that nonsense.  It varies from AD to AD in terms of servicing"packages"

Outside workshop will just do the essential oil change and filter change unless you have additional request. They might do random checks for leaks and check your brake pads.

You go to outside workshop only when you are certain what to do at what mileage. Know when to replace parts like engine air intake filter, spark plugs and whatever.

If you are clueless then leave it to the AD to service your car.

21 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Nope. The outside workshop will only do what you ask of them.

Aiya, the AD's packages add in their own set of services other than the usual engine oil replacement and engine oil filter. Eg. replace the aircon filter plus clean up the aircon ducts all that nonsense.  It varies from AD to AD in terms of servicing"packages"

Outside workshop will just do the essential oil change and filter change unless you have additional request. They might do random checks for leaks and check your brake pads.

You go to outside workshop only when you are certain what to do at what mileage. Know when to replace parts like engine air intake filter, spark plugs and whatever.

If you are clueless then leave it to the AD to service your car.

Thanks for the explanation!

Neutral Newbie

if I serviced my car in a workshop, can I switch back to the dealers? anyone has this experience?

I think you should do service when the service time comes because if you regular maintenance of the machine it doesn't break down quickly and long-term use is still good

58 minutes ago, jhmgk said:

if I serviced my car in a workshop, can I switch back to the dealers? anyone has this experience?

No problem, they'd only be too happy to take you back.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1