New Audi A3 Sedan - "only premium petrol sedan under Cat A"

Glyuen

In mechanical terms, they are build differently. twin charge cars come with supercharger and turbocharger.

Supercharger helps the car in low rev and give it extra oohm while turbocharger gives it more power at higher rev. Thus, you will feel the power at all power band.

Why supercharger at lower power band and turbocharger at higher power band? Simply because supercharger charge up and spin at lower Rev(around 15k rev to 30k) if I didn't remember wrongly and turbocharger charge up and spin at higher rev(around 80k to 150k rpm)

For new Audi, they only have single charge that's why car feels sluggish until they Turbocharge charge up. Turbocharge takes a longer time to charge up compare to Supercharger because of the higher rev. Of course, comparing a car with Supercharger vs Turbocharger, turbocharger will be able to put out more power.

It depends on power to weight ratio. If the car is only 1000kg, maybe 150NM is enough to pull off the vehicle. But if you give it additional 50NM, you will definitely feel the pulling effect from the engine. Of course, if you compare a car of a Camry size, which also has 200NM of torque, you will feel that car is less power, because the effort to pull the car is the same, but the weight of the car increase. I believe, this is why they say 200NM has the pulling factor, cause for cars like A3, it is only 1.25T of weight.

VW thinks too much.

A simple twin scroll turbo already solve the problem.

1.4 TSI max torque 250 from 1,500 RPM

BMW 1.5 3 cylinder max torque 230 from 1,250 RPM

↡ Advertisement

Excuse me, what kick back effect talking about with 200NM. ..seriously

Different people different driving experience with different cars. As mentioned, if step up from 1.5/1.6L NA Japanese / Korean rides, 200-250nm is a big jump.. Can feel the pushed back into the seat effect from the early torque.

Now 350nm also no effect. I think only passengers will feel it more than the driver

Why supercharger at lower power band and turbocharger at higher power band? Simply because supercharger charge up and spin at lower Rev(around 15k rev to 30k) if I didn't remember wrongly and turbocharger charge up and spin at higher rev(around 80k to 150k rpm)

To put it in engine RPM perspective, supercharger works from 0 rpm until 3500 rpm while the turbocharger kicks in from around 1750 rpm until 4500 rpm. At least that was what happened with my earlier twincharged Scirocco.

Tink the rush you're referring to is the torque surge when the turbo kicks in.

If u love that feeling, u gotta get a turbo car with at least 200Nm+ or torque.

The torque is fine at 200nm but what i need is the power to overtake with my whole family in it.

Anyone who owns an A4 quattro 2.0 AWD has any comments on this ? Apparently i have high expectations of this factory owned 2nd hand as of now in the market

Buying a Conti or Jap/Korea cars is down to individual's preferences, as long as the owner is a responsible and courteous driver on the road that is the most important thing. 

I have been seeing a lot of white Audi a3 with wheel cap!

And a "w" at the bottom of passenger door.

Are these PI?

Should be from PA. All these are rental car doing service like Uber and Grab. Nowadays all premium brand cars no longer premium. Even A6 and S series they buy and do this kind of chauffeur business.

Audi with wheel cap is really hideous!

Then again. Audi a3 at PI only cost 117k

Very competitive.

Should always be specs in this config as the stock sports rim is equally CMI

Audi with wheel cap is really hideous!

Then again. Audi a3 at PI only cost 117k

Very competitive.

Awhile ago PA selling the A3 sedans at $119K.. granted it's probably limited stocks but still seems like a better deal considering the usual PI vs AD mindset differences.

Different people different driving experience with different cars. As mentioned, if step up from 1.5/1.6L NA Japanese / Korean rides, 200-250nm is a big jump.. Can feel the pushed back into the seat effect from the early torque.

Now 350nm also no effect. I think only passengers will feel it more than the driver

To put it in engine RPM perspective, supercharger works from 0 rpm until 3500 rpm while the turbocharger kicks in from around 1750 rpm until 4500 rpm. At least that was what happened with my earlier twincharged Scirocco.

I think the transmission also plays a major part.  How the engine power/torque is matched to the gearbox.  Given the same engine, I think the car with a DCT gearbox would outperform the other types of gearbox.

If I remember correctly, a comparison was done between the old twin-charge 1.4L with the new 1.4L single turbo shows the single turbo matched or even outperformed.  Of course this maybe due to more optimization/enhancement to the later single turbo engine.

Should be from PA. All these are rental car doing service like Uber and Grab. Nowadays all premium brand cars no longer premium. Even A6 and S series they buy and do this kind of chauffeur business.

Audi is uber car. MB is teksi. BMW is bus walk mrt.

No wonder ppl call us Monaco of the East.....haha.