New Audi A3 Sedan - "only premium petrol sedan under Cat A"

Glyuen

But with 200nm of torque, it should still be a sub 10 sec car ?

Not necessarily, a lot depends the weight of car and transmission type.

The previous Lexus IS200 had an IL6 engine with 195 Nm torque spec.

It's 0-100 on paper was 12+ secs on a 4AT.

thinking 1.4L engine with 122bhp, whether it's sufficient to pull its 1225kg body weight???

This 1 very ok liao. BMW 316 has 130+hp pull 1.5 ton body. Ppl also say no problem le.

I think LTA making a loss. [:p]

Imagine 2-seater, 4-seater, 5-seater and your 7-seater also same COE premium. They may come up with 1.2 x COE premium for MPV soon.

LTA make loss???? Sure bo?

Then again, I remembered someone saying HDB makes a loss on every unit sold.. So, I think our governmental agencies should buck up.. Cannot keep losing the taxpayer's money ah, no?

Like this, 2 seater should have 0.4x COE premium, seeing that 5 seater cars are the norm what right?

This 1 very ok liao. BMW 316 has 130+hp pull 1.5 ton body. Ppl also say no problem le.

13XHP for 1.5 ton no problem? Aiyah, better is 138HP for 960kg.. That's good.. [sly] [sly] [sly] (eyeing your [drivingcar] )

Not necessarily, a lot depends the weight of car and transmission type.

The previous Lexus IS200 had an IL6 engine with 195 Nm torque spec.

It's 0-100 on paper was 12+ secs on a 4AT.

agree on that.

But as its (Audi/Vw) the same family, I was comparing against the VW 1.4 TSI range.

LTA make loss???? Sure bo?

Then again, I remembered someone saying HDB makes a loss on every unit sold.. So, I think our governmental agencies should buck up.. Cannot keep losing the taxpayer's money ah, no?

Like this, 2 seater should have 0.4x COE premium, seeing that 5 seater cars are the norm what right?

13XHP for 1.5 ton no problem? Aiyah, better is 138HP for 960kg.. That's good.. [sly] [sly] [sly] (eyeing your [drivingcar] )

I have upgraded to 184hp for 1,200kg :)

Dear Tennis_ball,

People buy cars for different purposes, I disagree that you need a big BHP if you are driving a A3 or a CLA.

Power is not everything in a car.

I got a SUV because it fits my requirements and my budget, not because I go off road nor I need the additional space.

I believe it is the same for others. We got different requirement for power of the car.

That is the reason why there are various engine options for the same car

Example: E250 to E55.

You may think that people get a E250 because they cannot afford a E55 but in fact, they like the E class for other reasons: badge, comfort, reliability and so on. Power may be at the back of the list so they got a E250 instead of a E55.

Same for A3 or CLA. I have not tested both of the car but comparing a Toyota Altis to a CLA.

They may have similar horsepower figures. But the refinement in a CLA and the materials may make me choose the CLA over the Altis and I do not find it a joke at all.

The only way I can see that it is a joke is if BMW rebadge a Altis and sell it at 20k premium without any other changes and people still buy the BMW Altis at a premium.

buying a A3 of 122 bhp or those Merc crap looking CLA? what is the difference with buy a japanese or korean which has the same horse power? oh ya, the badge is different. and for 150K become some laughing stock.

it is even more of a joke that many people want these A3, CLA, etc...

Edited by Dinobros
  • Praise 4

Its true current cat A and B are not much different. However, to some people, the extra 20k for the A4 might affect their comfort zone of financial expenses.

In that case, why not consider other brands and marques to make up the 20k diff and get a better car..

what a joke

limit cat a cars to 130bhp

reduce special tax for diesel car euro v compliant to 20cts per cc

agents like Volvo, vw, Peugeot all introduce full range of diesel models and stay in cat a

Very soon, Mr Lui will re-introduce higher diesel tax, as a stop-gap measure to prevent Merc, BMW, Audi/VW from jumping into the Cat A band wagon (again), once they introduce their small-cc <130bhp diesel models.

Having Merc, BMW and Audi back in Cat A is a definite no-no, after LTA had implemented the <130bhp rule to weed them out!

How can they leave it as is right?

Action must be taken to prevent the reversal!

Edited by Astrid

And once Merc introduces it's CLA120, or BMW it's 3-cylinder 1-er, together with Audi's A3 1.2T sedan, the German premium marques will rule the Cat A roost all over again!

Where will this all end?

Economic B&B first-time-aspirant middle class car buyers will continue to be squeezed out of the Cat A market.

They will continue to have to compete with HNW households looking to add a 3rd or 4th small runabout, for leisure, marketing, and/or for their children's use.

Money-wise, cannot fight ... even if ADs are barred from COE biddings.

The HNW households will out-bid the general, middle class, aspiring first-time car owners in every bidding cycle