DIY Waxing

Extremme

Guys, I intend to do waxing on my car. I used to do it manually but I thought maybe a handheld wax machine will be handy. Any recommendations?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

If you just using machine to apply wax , you can consider black and decker orbiter, cheap and handy.

If you plan to do proper paint correction, you will need DA polishing machine. But the machine price will be much higher.

• Praise 1

If you just using machine to apply wax , you can consider black and decker orbiter, cheap and handy.

If you plan to do proper paint correction, you will need DA polishing machine. But the machine price will be much higher.

Yeah nothing too expensive. What model Do you recommend?

Using a machine as opposed me twirling and twirling manually Will surely save me loads of time ;p

• Praise 1

Yeah nothing too expensive. What model Do you recommend?

Using a machine as opposed me twirling and twirling manually Will surely save me loads of time ;p

Black & decker orbiter only got one model at DIY shop. Last time i bought @68+ . Enough for waxing but you need 230Vac supply.

• Praise 1

Black & decker orbiter only got one model at DIY shop. Last time i bought @68+ . Enough for waxing but you need 230Vac supply.

Thank you. My car park has Wall plugs so it should be fine ;)

Thank you. My car park has Wall plugs so it should be fine ;)

HDB one is round plug different from our square type plug. If is HDB one I doubt can use. my 2 cents of contribution.

There's a reason ppl want their cars to be hand waxed.

If you were to use an hand held orbitor you will get swirl marks when the wax wear off after a while. Regardless of what brand you use you will still get the swirl marks.

The trick to applying wax is not difficult or jialat at all.

- Get 2x microfibre cloth.

- dampen 1 x microfibre cloth with water.

- Use it to apply the wax on your car. You will notice that a damp cloth is easier to use to spread the wax evenly on the surface.

- The other microfibre cloth leave it as it is. Use it to wipe down the car when the wax you had just applied has dried.

The trick to it is using a damp cloth to spread the wax evenly so that you won't see patches of wax after you are done. Same for any other type of wax, even glass wax for your windscreen. Ppl often comprain their wiper will judder after applying the glass wax. What they should do is damp cloth to spread out the wax evenly.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

There's a reason ppl want their cars to be hand waxed.

If you were to use an hand held orbitor you will get swirl marks when the wax wear off after a while. Regardless of what brand you use you will still get the swirl marks.

The trick to applying wax is not difficult or jialat at all.

- Get 2x microfibre cloth.

- dampen 1 x microfibre cloth with water.

- Use it to apply the wax on your car. You will notice that a damp cloth is easier to use to spread the wax evenly on the surface.

- The other microfibre cloth leave it as it is. Use it to wipe down the car when the wax you had just applied has dried.

The trick to it is using a damp cloth to spread the wax evenly so that you won't see patches of wax after you are done. Same for any other type of wax, even glass wax for your windscreen. Ppl often comprain their wiper will judder after applying the glass wax. What they should do is damp cloth to spread out the wax evenly.

I agree with you, because i try once using ice water to wipe panel and damped my application pad before apply wax, same also using ice water cooled microfiber tower to remove wax. Great effect and more natural feel.

Before you decide to switch to machine polishing, better check Does your car is in a neglected paintwork condition? If it is then hand polishing may struggle to eliminate the heavier imperfections and a lot of energy and time would have to be spent to make any form of noticeable difference but if your paintwork is not too heavily inflicted with surface imperfections, hand polishing serves as a safe and effective way to enhance and restore the finish. For easier waxing you may choose from Sonax Polishing Products:

201100_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Sonax Brilliant Wax 1 is for new car or newly painted car. It contains wax only.

207200_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Paintwork in mint condition, slightly weathered and regularly maintained paintwork are a job for SONAX XTREME Polish+Wax 2.

202100_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Matt, weathered and neglected paintwork requires treatment from SONAX XTREME Polish+Wax 3. The extremely powerful aluminium oxide polishing components remove weathered paint layers and smoothen out scratches from the carwash installation, finger nails and other usual traces of wear.

• Praise 2

Seems like nowadays people don't wax their cars themselves. This detailing thread is all about which protection service to get. Also when I search MCF on DIY related stuff the threads are all around 8 years ago....

I just got a car and my colleagues are teasing me that after 1 month I wont be doing washing and waxing myself anymore. So far I am liking the 1.5hr or so of exercise a week.

Anyone still DIYing? Just wondering what proportion still are...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I don't even wash my current car, don't talk about waxing.. and nope, didn't do any coating too.. hehehhe....

Getting my new car soon and I guess the most I will wash diligently for first mths and after that, most likely car wash is a quarterly affair...:XD:

Seems like nowadays people don't wax their cars themselves. This detailing thread is all about which protection service to get. Also when I search MCF on DIY related stuff the threads are all around 8 years ago....

I just got a car and my colleagues are teasing me that after 1 month I wont be doing washing and waxing myself anymore. So far I am liking the 1.5hr or so of exercise a week.

in future, SEARCH.  Merged here with ANOTHER DIY waxing thread

you could have asked your question here instead of DUPLICATING a thread

in future you will get a warning

thank  you!

Am not waxing as pps done. Wash new car weekly. Exterior only 1hr plus. With interior , around 2.5hr. Armourall car wash n the rest the usual meguiar products.

• Praise 1

There used to be a group of hardcore DIY kakis back in 2006..Those days we spend almost 6-7 hours every sunday to meet for DIY. Most are busy with kids now but occasionally they do meet me to grab some quick detailer or wax. [;)]

I still do it.  Spend about 3 hours.  Wash tyres, rims.  Wash car, dry car, do correction if necessary, apply 3 coats of sealant.  In between the sealant drying, vacuum inside of car, clean dash, sides, clean leather seats, clean windscreen etc. :a-happy:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2