DIY Waxing

Extremme

Yes, Sonax and Meguairs has one as well.  For convenience, I've just named common brands you can get at Autobacs. (There are other bands of course). 

12pcs-lot-Special-vehicle-Polishing-wax-

No, it's not really mix.  Just spray a bit (i.e. very little) of the QD on the yellow sponge above.  Then, open up your wax tin and gently glide the sponge across the wax to pick up a bit of wax.  After that, glide the sponge slowly across say the engine hood.  When it looks like you've run out of wax on the sponge, re-apply the wax on the sponge though you don't have to spray the QD now.  BUT, if it feels like you have to drag the sponge or you feel quite a bit of resistance (comes with experience, I'm afraid), then spray abit of QD on the sponge. 

Now, if you happen to buy Autoglym's HD wax, they will provide you with two red sponges.  They will ask you instead to wet the sponge with water and wring it dry, and then apply the wax onto the sponge.  Follow their instructions if you use their product at least until you are experienced enough.

i see, so basically i can use the rapid detailer for both the claying and the waxing. From your experience, what wax should i get for best protection against sunlight and dirt or bird droppings?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

i see, so basically i can use the rapid detailer for both the claying and the waxing. From your experience, what wax should i get for best protection against sunlight and dirt or bird droppings?

Thanks

Correct on claying and waxing. 

Let me also moderate your expectations.  Waxing will make the car relatively shiny.  Waxing and/or using sealants will not magically make your car super "bling".  Much of the "bling" comes from the preparation work which is beyond this topic right now. 

Any decent wax or sealant will protect you from bird poo but you have to remove it quickly because it will penetrate quickly.

I am mostly a sealant person now so my wax knowledge is probably out of date.

The one I used to like was Autoglym HD Wax.  Very nice deep warm effect, lasts about a month, attracts dust like a magnet but the dirt cleans away easily when you wash.  Bird poo basically comes off easily with a damp cloth i.e. place a damp cloth over the poo for a few minutes to soften to poo and rinse off. 

Frankly, waxes do not last long in our weather so unless you are prepared to wax your car maybe 6 times a year or so, sealants are better.  And yes, I used to wax my car 8 times a year.    [hur]   6 for normal, 1 for CNY and 1 for wedding anniversary. [laugh]

Correct on claying and waxing. 

Let me also moderate your expectations.  Waxing will make the car relatively shiny.  Waxing and/or using sealants will not magically make your car super "bling".  Much of the "bling" comes from the preparation work which is beyond this topic right now. 

Any decent wax or sealant will protect you from bird poo but you have to remove it quickly because it will penetrate quickly.

I am mostly a sealant person now so my wax knowledge is probably out of date.

The one I used to like was Autoglym HD Wax.  Very nice deep warm effect, lasts about a month, attracts dust like a magnet but the dirt cleans away easily when you wash.  Bird poo basically comes off easily with a damp cloth i.e. place a damp cloth over the poo for a few minutes to soften to poo and rinse off. 

Frankly, waxes do not last long in our weather so unless you are prepared to wax your car maybe 6 times a year or so, sealants are better.  And yes, I used to wax my car 8 times a year.    [hur]   6 for normal, 1 for CNY and 1 for wedding anniversary. [laugh]

I guess it doesnt sound so bad as i was expecting it to be every month. but sending for wax service will cost too much, thats why i wana learn to do myself. so currently wat sealant r u using?

I guess it doesnt sound so bad as i was expecting it to be every month. but sending for wax service will cost too much, thats why i wana learn to do myself. so currently wat sealant r u using?

Zaino.  I use Z-2 as the sealant.  I now 'wax"  about 3 times a year.  

Zaino.  I use Z-2 as the sealant.  I now 'wax"  about 3 times a year.  

Thanks so much for info bro, other bros who got tips to share or amazing products you've tried pls let me know!

Hi Bro,

Yes that right! There are couple of video out there you can check out as mentioned like ammo nyc and obsessed garage!

Cheers

Particularly wat wax do u use bro, and also, besides autobac, where else can i go shop for car grooming products?

Thanks so much for info bro, other bros who got tips to share or amazing products you've tried pls let me know!

Particularly wat wax do u use bro, and also, besides autobac, where else can i go shop for car grooming products?

Hi Bro,

I mentioned a list of wax I have in the previous reply can check them out. Soft 99 Fusso, Collinite 845 and also Bilt hamber double speed wax have very good durability. So it's not that true that they don't last as long. I wax everymonth just for the sake of trying all my waxes. I sometimes use sealant as well but it all goes down to what wax I use. Now I have a coat of Bilt Hamber on for 3 weeks and still as good as day one. No significant fade.

For application method you can follow what was mentioned by mason. You can just use the softest clay bar available (least aggressive) and soapy water will be find. QD I will advise to go with meguair Ultimate Quick detailer and if you want to maintain your wax Inbetween can use Sonax Brilliant shine they are great!

Other than autobacs there are other places PM me I'll let you know where! Just incase they classify it as advertisement. I also buy some stuff online or mostly actually. Bilt hamber can be bought from eBay around 35 bucks. Remember to spread the waxes you used thinly. Over application will make it harder to cure and also more difficult to buff off.

Cheers.

• Praise 1

Hi Bro,

I mentioned a list of wax I have in the previous reply can check them out. Soft 99 Fusso, Collinite 845 and also Bilt hamber double speed wax have very good durability. So it's not that true that they don't last as long. I wax everymonth just for the sake of trying all my waxes. I sometimes use sealant as well but it all goes down to what wax I use. Now I have a coat of Bilt Hamber on for 3 weeks and still as good as day one. No significant fade.

For application method you can follow what was mentioned by mason. You can just use the softest clay bar available (least aggressive) and soapy water will be find. QD I will advise to go with meguair Ultimate Quick detailer and if you want to maintain your wax Inbetween can use Sonax Brilliant shine they are great!

Other than autobacs there are other places PM me I'll let you know where! Just incase they classify it as advertisement. I also buy some stuff online or mostly actually. Bilt hamber can be bought from eBay around 35 bucks. Remember to spread the waxes you used thinly. Over application will make it harder to cure and also more difficult to buff off.

Cheers.

Ok so let me confirm something, you can either use wax, or sealant, or you can also wax over a sealant? Am i correct?

Ok so let me confirm something, you can either use wax, or sealant, or you can also wax over a sealant? Am i correct?

Yes you can put it that Way! I feel that if you like crazy beading wax actually doesn't a better job. Sealant I tried a few, most impressed by Menzerna Powerlock (super slick feeling) and Sonax polymer Netshield! I didn't have a very good results with CG Jetseal. But it's personal opinion hope it helps! Oh BTW sealant are usually easier to apply as well! Just feel that wax gives me additional depth in the paint and I love the beads!

Cheers!

Yes you can wax over a sealant.

I would say the procedure to be :

1. Wash with car shampoo, i use Eagle 1 Wash and Wax shampoo.
  2. Polish (if required)
  3. Sealant
  4. Wax

Quick wax and detailer spray are normally used when you're lazy to wax...  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Yes you can wax over a sealant.

I would say the procedure to be :

1. Wash with car shampoo, i use Eagle 1 Wash and Wax shampoo.
  2. Polish (if required)
  3. Sealant
  4. Wax

Quick wax and detailer spray are normally used when you're lazy to wax...  [laugh]

ok so the purpose of claying is just to be extra sure there are no dirt or anyting, so that u wont scratch wile waxing, correct??

Quick:

Also, when u say quick wax, u refering to something like this?

post-139388-0-02974400-1479778480.jpg

And by detailer spray u mean something like this?

post-139388-0-48669300-1479778501_thumb.png

Am i correct to say these 2 products will stil protect but it will not last that long?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More proper:

And a proper sealant and wax will be somthing like these 2?

post-139388-0-15670200-1479778485.jpgpost-139388-0-82438400-1479778496_thumb.jpg

And they may take longer time applying but they last longer, correct??

Edited by Fett

ok so the purpose of claying is just to be extra sure there are no dirt or anyting, so that u wont scratch wile waxing, correct??

Quick:

Also, when u say quick wax, u refering to something like this?

download.jpg

And by detailer spray u mean something like this?

sonax-xtreme-brilliant-shine-detailer-spray-750ml.-1156-p.png

Am i correct to say these 2 products will stil protect but it will not last that long?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More proper:

And a proper sealant and wax will be somthing like these 2?

images.jpg sonax-1778-5039763-1-zoom.jpg

And they may take longer time applying but they last longer, correct??

Hi Bro,

Yes so as mentioned:

-Wash with a proper shampoo (I use meguair Hyperwash) but Meguairs gold class is fine as well!

-Claying with soap or quick detailers (I usually use soap) a small section at a time and rinse away. If you use a quick detailer just wipe it off with a clean microfibre cloth.

-Polishing unless you are experienced I suggest you don't do it. You can try of course with the proper tools! A Dual action polisher and Polishing compound. Remember to wipe down with IPA if you polish before applying wax.

-Apply sealant and/or wax as you prefer.

-Leave to cure and buff off

Normal maintenance will be just washing with shampoo.

If you think the hydrophobic effect or the wax is wearing off can use spray wax(I use fireball ultimate coating wax but meguair ultimate quik wax is fine too) or spray sealant like Sonax Brilliant shine I love it.

If you want something durable I say just go for Soft99 Fusso it's pretty durable!

Yes claying removes contaminant from the paint surface so it will be smooth. So yes it will reduce chances of getting scratches while applying wax. If you clay with enough lubricstion chances of marring is quite minimal. But you should need to clay every wash. Maybe only every time you wax say once every 3-4 months! Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Praise 1

It can be addictive especially after you see the brilliant shine of your labour.

Don't forget the rims. Brake dusts will make the rims look dull. 

It can be addictive especially after you see the brilliant shine of your labour.

Don't forget the rims. Brake dusts will make the rims look dull. 

Yes Agreed! Always know what the key t the shine is the condition of the paint how little defects there can be ins mostly influenced by washing technique. 

Rim wise, you can get a tyre brush and rim cleaner from autobacs use them to clean your rims. This helps to prevent brake dust from etching in and leaving a clean rims always.

This is how i clean the rims:

-Wet the rims with a hose with pressure, try to rinse off as much dirt and brake dust as possible.

-Use rim cleaner on rims and leave to dwell for 1-3 minute (do not let it dry) it will turn purple

-Agitate with brush 

-Rinse off properly 

-Fill a separate bucket of soapy water with mitt or sponge (to be used only for rims) and wash it again

-Rinse off again

Thank so much for all the info bro, i was researching on the soft99 fusso, saw these 3, which 1 r u refering to?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Soft99+Fusso

Hi Bro,

This is the one that is most durable. Depending on the color of your car you can choose between the dark or light one.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Soft99-Fusso-Coat-12-Months-Wax-Solid-Japan-Car-Auto-Care-Color-Waterproof-Wash-/380990321507

Cheers

Thanks so much for the great advice guys, i just started waxing yesterday, will need more practice.

Anyways, would like to know why you dont use ceramic or glass coating, which is kind of the "IN" thing now. My reason is that it doesnt guarantee how long it can last and once u use it, u need to keep going back for touch ups probably every year, so i dont think i want that. 

What about you guys, care to share pros and cons and reasons for not going the easy way of ceramic coats?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the great advice guys, i just started waxing yesterday, will need more practice.

Anyways, would like to know why you dont use ceramic or glass coating, which is kind of the "IN" thing now. My reason is that it doesnt guarantee how long it can last and once u use it, u need to keep going back for touch ups probably every year, so i dont think i want that.

What about you guys, care to share pros and cons and reasons for not going the easy way of ceramic coats?

Thanks!

The shine I can get via the manual method is not comparable.
  • Praise 4

Thanks!

Hi Bro,

In my knowledge and point of view, ceramic coating does give a brilliant wet look! However it lacks depth in the colour of the paint unlike wax. It's a matter of preference for that.

Coatings as well they tend to create more waterspot rather than wax as wax works like a layer of oil. Wax can be topped up anytime as well without the need to remove prior layer unlike coating and it can be done by non professionals! It is true it is easier to maintain, as it will be easier to wash but you can get almost the same effect with wax as well. It's true it last long but it's consistently being eroded away unlike wax that can be topped up frequently. You still need to maintain coating with claying and using top up spray sealant like Carpro reload.

With all that said I feel coating does make a good base for waxing as you can always have an additional layer to protect the paint before using wax to prevent water spot and a bit more depth to the colour!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Praise 1