More nationality-based prejudice than before, IPS survey

Darthrevan

sjcorchard2801e.jpg

There is a growing discomfort across nationalities, even as comfort levels across race and religion appear to have largely remained the same, a survey has found.

Some 32.1 per cent of Singaporeans surveyed felt that prejudice based on nationality has become more widespread now compared to five years ago, and this is more so than the increase in other types of prejudices such as race, age or religion.
When it came to racial prejudice, 16 per cent felt that it has grown over the past five years, while 46.8 per cent of those surveyed found that it has not changed.
These were the findings of the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) which surveyed over 4,000 Singaporeans in a large-scale study of race, language and religion here.
The results, presented at the IPS Singapore Perspectives 2014 conference on Tuesday, shed some light on the differences between various groups in Singapore and how they have changed over the years.
IPS director Janadas Devan, in opening remarks, spoke about riots that had occurred in Singapore between Teochews and Hokkiens, the different Chinese dialect groups, as far back as 1854.
“There was a time when they considered themselves different countrymen,” he said.
But now, while differences between race, religion and language have generally smoothed over, there appears to be a growing divide between those who are born here, and those who are foreign-born.
While 94 per cent of respondents said they were comfortable working for a local-born Chinese, for example, that number fell to 74 per cent for a boss who is a new citizen from China.
Those born here were also less comfortable with new citizens in personal and social settings, even if they were of the same race, the survey found.
A local-born Chinese had a greater affinity with local-born Malays and Indians, for example, compared to Chinese from China, said Mr Janadas.
IPS research fellow Mathew Mathews, who headed the survey, said younger and more educated respondents felt these differences more acutely as they were “more sensitive” and exposed to these differences through the online sphere, for example.
Mr Janadas said there was a need to better integrate foreigners into society while retaining the country’s Singaporean identity.
The survey also found some other gaps. For example, there were minorities who felt they had been discriminated against in everyday situations. Among Malay respondents, 26.4 per cent said they had been discriminated against at work or for job promotions, because of their race. Among the Indians, 24.2 per cent felt this way.
There was also 5.7 per cent of Chinese who said they had been discriminated against in the same situations.
Some felt that the Government could do more to address these issues of discrimination. Among the Malay and the Indian respondents, about 40.8 per cent and 33.6 per cent respectively, think the Government should give preferential treatment to minority races. They made up a larger number than those who disagreed with this.
But more than half of the Chinese respondents said they disagreed with preferential treatment for minorities.
The more educated were also more likely to disagree with preferential treatment. Across university-educated respondents of each race, there were more who did not want preferential treatment given to minorities, than those who did.
On the whole, Singaporeans feel there is little racial and religious prejudice here. More than 85 per cent of the 4,000 respondents did not think they were treated differently in public services, for example.
The common space is “remarkably free of racial and religious prejudice,” said Mr Janadas. “This not happen overnight...we can't take it for granted."
↡ Advertisement

When I took part in a marathon (which shall not be named) last year, I wanted to start from the front so that I could race with the best but because I wasn't seeded, the organisers refused to allow me to. I was very upset about that racial prejudice.

• Praise 2

When I took part in a marathon (which shall not be named) last year, I wanted to start from the front so that I could race with the best but because I wasn't seeded, the organisers refused to allow me to. I was very upset about that racial prejudice.

Front are reserved for Kenyan... though I'm a chinese, and try not to be a racist, but I got to admit the Kenyans are superior to us in running..

Front are reserved for Kenyan... though I'm a chinese, and try not to be a racist, but I got to admit the Kenyans are superior to us in running..

they more used to being chased by tiger and cheetah mah... so must run fast.

over the years the slow runners all kena eaten liao. left all the fast runner survive.

the fast runners breed. so the offsprings all can run fast.

this is darwinian theory at it's best.

• Praise 1

they more used to being chased by tiger and cheetah mah... so must run fast.

over the years the slow runners all kena eaten liao. left all the fast runner survive.

the fast runners breed. so the offsprings all can run fast.

this is darwinian theory at it's best.

Actually I think they belong to the slow runners group, that's why you see them in mid and long-distance events instead of the sprint races. They are used to jogging everywhere barefoot.

Should see the bbc video of bushmen literally running down prey for hours, even the animal also pengsan and lie there for them to kill.

Edited by Myxilplix
  • Praise 2

Q: what's the difference between prejudice and profiling?

A: when it's frowned upon and discouraged, it's called prejudice. When it's used as justification or convenience, it's called profiling. [lipsrsealed]

in any case, it's a broad generalisation based on observations of a pool of subjects, not an exact science. In other words, boh pao tiao.

just ask the folks in the security industry [grin]

• Praise 2

You are very serious leh.

• Praise 1

Many are just claims. There's no concrete evidence to prove so. Most of the interviews are ppl claiming that they "feel" the discrimination. But is it true? How do we know what's their working attitude is like? IMO I feel that more like their working attitude could be the one being "discriminated" rather dan race.

And why should they think that gahment should give minority race preferential treatment? You mean to say gahment policies to the ppl are not being fair? What makes these ppl so special that they have to be treated in this way just so they are the minority? Gahment make plans for the majority mah.

IMO this is bullsh!t. I think these ppl who gave negative feedback are anti-social.

As for foreigners it's natural becoz of the cultural differences or some call it cultural clashes.

A: when it's frowned upon and discouraged, it's called prejudice. When it's used as justification or convenience, it's called profiling. [lipsrsealed]

in any case, it's a broad generalisation based on observations of a pool of subjects, not an exact science. In other words, boh pao tiao.

This reminds me of the theories behind

a) Rule of Law

b) Rule by Law

Actually I think they belong to the slow runners group, that's why you see them in mid and long-distance events instead of the sprint races. They are used to jogging everywhere barefoot.

Should see the bbc video of bushmen literally running down prey for hours, even the animal also pengsan and lie there for them to kill.

lol. That's why I guess they also don't need machines for transportation. They just run to their destination. 20 min drive over to reach a destination? 15km away is sub sub water to them by foot.

This reminds me of the theories behind

a) Rule of Law

b) Rule by Law

lol. That's why I guess they also don't need machines for transportation. They just run to their destination. 20 min drive over to reach a destination? 15km away is sub sub water to them by foot.

After running here and there whole the day, how come they still have energies to fulfill national duty to make babies? They don't have declinig national birth rate! We always don't run but drive here drive there, still can't maintain our birth rate!

I think we all know it's never based on racial profile, but their latest running time.

Of course if we can finish consistently within 2hrs 15mins, I don't really see why the organisers would not want to put us there? But we need to ask can we run that pace?

I can run within that timing in 1/2 Marathon, but full marathon I will gladly start with the >5hrs finishers.

Edited by Atonchia

After running here and there whole the day, how come they still have energies to fulfill national duty to make babies? They don't have declinig national birth rate! We always don't run but drive here drive there, still can't maintain our birth rate!

Because in their villages, maybe no electrical supply... as soon as the sun sets, it gets dark, and nothing else to do, so... [laugh]

Come down from your ivory towers and talk to the peasants

We can easily tell you these instead of paying a fortune to chia liao bee professors to do a study

Ironically, many migrants from neighbouring countries come here to escape "prejudice"... and therein lies the lesson: rather than complaining and lamenting, work hard to improve and go where one's talents are welcomed!

Just like working in a company, if one really feels prejudiced by a non-local boss - whether real or imagined - then just switch to another company. The world is border-less these days, and talents are sought after everywhere.

Edited by Sosaria

As a bro shared earlier, could be coz since no ipad, alternative = ipoke [laugh]

Could also be that their extreme (by our standards) non sedentary lifestyle keeps their energy/endorphin levels high. After intense physical exertion, testos level upz = let nature take its course (unsure if contraception is widely avail).

Ours I believe is the stress levels asociated..... in a way our demographics Vs Job stress levels has shed some light on this. [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Disagree.

Prejudice - assuming an act is done by a certain race or sex etc with no evidence. Eg- someone stole my wallet and must be poor ppl do it cos they are like tt.

Profiling - assuming an act is done by a certain race or sex etc based on historical evidence. Ev - someone stole my wallet and since the previous ten wallet thefts reported were found to have been done by poor ppl, my profile of the thief is therefore a poor person.

Please note that prejudice is based on feeling while profiling is based on historical evidence. It is easy to say they are interchangeable but they are not. The ones on the receiving end will feel one way though.

Please note I have nothing against poor ppl. Just using them as example.

↡ Advertisement