Be Prepared : Mr. Haze Comes Early In 2014

Maxus-MIFA9

Every year same old thing happening again & again & again..........

1) Haze commence and last for a few weeks

2) Gets to unbearable situation

3) They sumpar have done all they can (behind they burn more & more lol)

4) We tahan until country like wana close shop liao....then bo pian send CAI SHEN Ya there

5) Instaneously & immediately can see birds appear out of nowhere & Haze problem is solved.

6) Both sides happy until the next cycle............LOLLLLLLLLL [laugh]

7) when natural disaster happens to them like the earthquake (?) a year or two ago, Singaporeans overflown with sympathy will still happily donate...

↡ Advertisement

lim2RWT.png

looks pretty bad..the orange circle is close to Sinkapor

From my flat in Clementi the wind direction is obviously from the north east therefore blowing any haze from the fires away from Singapore.

But the fact is that visibility has been very poor all this year and also last year in November and December.

I can usually see Gunung Pulai close to Kulai very easily in fact can see the radio or telephone towers on the top of the mountain, but for the last 3 or 4 months seldom see the mountain itself.

Why is the visibility so bad.

Dunno like as it can't be haze from fires as wind direction is wrong and also no wood burning smell.

Edited by Neutrino

wah today seems like more worse..I think at least 50.. :wacko:

NEA PSI reading only show 33...real anot? <_<

http://www.nea.gov.sg/psi/

http://aqicn.org/map/singapore/

it's real.. but using a much lower PM10 standard.

see the website.. PM10 is all green what [dizzy]

use PM2.5 that measures much smaller particles as gauge and feel.

it's currently yellow throughout the whole island.

time to take out your :ph34r:

• Praise 1

The smell was strong last night and this morning, but when I check NEA website, it show PSI in normal range. I wonder if the reading is accurate. Don't tell me the strong burnt smell has no small particles?

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/02/14/nea-heeds-tres-wake-up-call/

NEA heeds TRE’s wake-up call
dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png February 14th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial

NEA-300x163.jpgYesterday (13 Feb), TRE reported that parts of Singapore are experiencing a return of the haze (‘The haze is back‘).

At the same time, TRE criticised the National Environment Agency (NEA) for carrying an out-of-date message on its Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) webpage [Link].

TRE said, “Disconcertingly, NEA’s PSI webpage still showed a message that is surely out of date:

DISCONTINUATION OF DAILY HAZE ADVISORY

19 October 2013

Over the past week, Sumatra has been experiencing wetter weather conditions. As we enter the Inter-Monsoon period, more rains can be expected in the coming weeks. This signals the end of the dry season in Sumatra, and the likelihood of transboundary haze affecting Singapore for the rest of the year will be low…

TRE then said, “Hello, time to wake up, NEA!”

The editorial called ‘The haze is back‘ was published at 8:30am, 13 February 2014.

Within hours, NEA removed the outdated message and replaced it with a “Health Advisory for General Public and Workers” [Link].

NEA’s health advisory includes a table with various 24-hour PSI levels and NEA’s advice as to what certain categories of people should do for any particular PSI level.

These categories are a) healthy people, b) elderly people, pregnant women and children, and c) persons with chronic lung disease, heart disease or stroke.

People in the first category (i.e. healthy people) are considered better able to bear the health impact of haze than people in the second category (i.e. elderly people, pregnant women and children) while the third category of people (i.e. persons with chronic lung disease, heart disease or stroke) are considered most vulnerable to the harmful effects of haze.

However, NEA’s new health advisory is problematic – it lumps “good” and “moderate” levels of air quality together under “<100″:

Capture19-640x143.jpg

NEA describes air quality as follows:

PSI Value
Air Quality Descriptor

0 – 50 Good

51 – 100 Moderate

101 – 200 Unhealthy

201 – 300 Very unhealthy

Above 300 Hazardous

Note that “good” applies to PSI levels or values of 0-50, whereas “moderate” describes air quality for PSI levels of 51-100.

In other words, a PSI level of, say, 88 means that the air is not “good” but “moderate”.

Last June, when the PSI level actually hit 88, some people reportedly suffered from blocked nose, skin irritation and breathing difficulties [Link].

However, in the health advisory, a PSI level of 88 attracts a confusing “good/moderate” description which misleads people into thinking everything is hunky-dory by telling everyone to carry on with their “normal activities”.

Is NEA trying to downplay the haze?

What do you think?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1