Be Prepared : Mr. Haze Comes Early In 2014

Maxus-MIFA9

The smell was strong last night and this morning, but when I check NEA website, it show PSI in normal range. I wonder if the reading is accurate. Don't tell me the strong burnt smell has no small particles?

NEA only shows 24 hrs reading .... [furious]

woodlands no smell

errrr............. did you remove your N95 before smelling ... [laugh]

The brand frag....was selling $63/kg during the peak!!!!! [hur]

Well.....they can keep the bak kwa until all eternity......lol.

back to norm, $32 ~ $36 per kg... [sly]

some not famous ones selling $26/- ~ $30/- per kg

Strange, saw this on nea website, say only 18 hotspots on Sumatra. Which is which? Or I am confused? See below

Singapore, 24 February 2014 A total of 18 hotspots were detected in Sumatra today. Smoke haze was visible in Riau province.

2 For the next few days, the prevailing northeasterly winds will keep the haze from Sumatra away from Singapore. However, we may experience occasional slight haze due to the accumulation of particulate matter under stable atmospheric conditions, particularly in the morning. Fair and warm conditions are expected for the next few days.

3 The current dry weather conditions have led to a number of vegetation fires in Singapore over the past weeks. These fires could possibly have contributed to the burning smell detected in some areas.

4 The National Environment Agency (NEA) will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary. For updates, visit our NEA website (www.nea.gov.sg), the haze microsite (www.haze.gov.sg), or follow us on NEA Facebook (www.facebook.com/NEASingapore) and NEA Twitter (@NEAsg).

~ End ~

For more information, please contact

Call Centre: 1800-CALL NEA (1800-2255 632)

Email: [email protected]

- See more at: http://app2.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/newsroom/advisories/haze-hotspot-situation-(24-feb)#sthash.32i6DAbX.dpuf

Since last year already give up on NEA PSsai reading la, just use your eyes and your nose.

Same here.. i've given up on NEA webbie, other than perhaps the wind direction.

For measurements:

NEA one is PM10... always show GREEN, swee swee fresh fresh boh daiji ok!

AQI one is PM2.5... always show YELLOW, moderate daiji. Above 70 I'm already feeling discomfort. My nose can really smell the chao tar.

Another indicator is the floor.. just mop the day before, the next very day dust start appearing again. kns.

• Praise 2

This morning, 88.3 mentioned that there has been no rain for long time. When air is bad, it may not be due to Indon fire. The source could be local. Ne1 have any insights on this?

I have been coughing, on/off fever for last few daze. wtf.

Edited by Baal

The situation this morning is very bad in the eastern side, strong burning smell around Changi North.

Morning news reported that wind direction may change next week and the haze will be upon us again. :(

However, in the health advisory, a PSI level of 88 attracts a confusing “good/moderate” description which misleads people into thinking everything is hunky-dory by telling everyone to carry on with their “normal activities”.

Is NEA trying to downplay the haze?

What do you think?

Discounted readings lah, only believe your sensory organs (ie. nose and eyes) <_<

However, in the health advisory, a PSI level of 88 attracts a confusing good/moderate description which misleads people into thinking everything is hunky-dory by telling everyone to carry on with their normal activities.

Is NEA trying to downplay the haze?

What do you think?

Discounted readings lah, only believe your sensory organs (ie. nose and eyes) <_<

haze situation has economic costs...

If u are the one up there... u want your minions continue working and pump the economy or let them sit home and contribute nothing?

nsiriau28214e.jpg

Haze over Riau could hit Singapore soon, says Indonesia official

The haze over Riau could hit Singapore soon as wind speeds change, the head of the local weather station said on Friday.
"Wind movement that was previously from the north and east to the south has begun to reverse, so there's a chance the haze could reach Singapore," said Mr Sugarin, head of the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) station in Pekanbaru.
But its impact on Singapore was not likely to be severe, he told a coordinating meeting of the task force tackling the haze at the city's airbase, as satellites detected 395 hotspots in mainland Sumatra on Friday morning, 359 of them in Riau.
The Meteorological Service Singapore forecasted in an advisory on Friday night that prevailing northeasterly winds would keep the haze in Sumatra away from the Republic for the next few days. It added, however, that "occasional slight haze" may occur "under stable atmospheric conditions, particularly in the morning".
kwYMvIW.png
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Can we prevent haze from occuring?

I remember when I was a kid, the haze does not happen as an annual event, in fact it was non-existent.

It was only in recent decades that there is a demand for palm oil, thus more clearing to expand plantations.

It's difficult but can be done by reducing consumption.

http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/

http://ran.org/sites/default/files/tripa_ran_truth_and_consequences.pdf

Edited by Atonchia
↡ Advertisement