Aircon abnormal, blow hot air initially...need advice

Extinguisher

Just sent my car for 80k svc and the AD workshop mentioned that my air con was dirty even after detoxing it (not sure if this is the correct term but they cleaned it with a can of spray which cost $40+).

Mentioned that I shld do a chemical wash which costs $300+

Never heard of car air con doing chemical wash before but have heard of office/house air con doing this.

Any bros can advise? Thank you in advance!!

I understand that using some sort of bleach (kao) or something can do the same & cost only a few dollars. However must be able to DIY. Or maybe a trusted outside ws to do this.

@pisces69 and @kb27 should be able to share more insights. :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Just sent my car for 80k svc and the AD workshop mentioned that my air con was dirty even after detoxing it (not sure if this is the correct term but they cleaned it with a can of spray which cost $40+).

Mentioned that I shld do a chemical wash which costs $300+

Never heard of car air con doing chemical wash before but have heard of office/house air con doing this.

Any bros can advise? Thank you in advance!!

Complete AC clean only if yr coil is chocked n badly blocked. Hardly any air come out of the vents n $300 sounds expensive.

Sometimes air blocked n very little air come out of vents also cud just need to replace a new AC filter for abt $20. [thumbsup]

I just buy a $7 can of Dettol spray n remove AC filter. Then put fan at full blast n spray the Dettol under the dash it wil suck into the coil n remove mould n bad smell.

I do this abt every year DIY. So far my AC abt 8 yrs still good. [thumbsup]

Edited by Pisces69
  • Praise 1

Complete AC clean only if yr coil is chocked n badly blocked. Hardly any air come out of the vents n $300 sounds expensive.

Sometimes air blocked n very little air come out of vents also cud just need to replace a new AC filter for abt $20. [thumbsup]

I just buy a $7 can of Dettol spray n remove AC filter. Then put fan at full blast n spray the Dettol under the dash it wil suck into the coil n remove mould n bad smell.

u mean leave glove box opened beyond stopper limit n spray dettol into a/c filter removed portion, assuming most makes have a/c filter behind (in front of) glove box?

Thks for the advice bro! Mine actually is 4 yrs old n periodically when I go svc at AD, they will actually use a spray to clean my aircon. This time they say even with the spray it still is dirty n suggested a chemical wash which I declined due to the cost n also I wanted to find out more. Guess I'll leave it for now since the aircon is working ok but long run may need to do what u suggested. Thks again!

• Praise 5

u mean leave glove box opened beyond stopper limit n spray dettol into a/c filter removed portion, assuming most makes have a/c filter behind (in front of) glove box?

My AC filter is below the glove box.

I must crawl upside-down in the front passenger footwell to remove the AC filter. [smallcry]

Lucky its only about once a year. [sweatdrop]

But this year still never do. Now getting lazy. [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Thks for the advice bro! Mine actually is 4 yrs old n periodically when I go svc at AD, they will actually use a spray to clean my aircon. This time they say even with the spray it still is dirty n suggested a chemical wash which I declined due to the cost n also I wanted to find out more. Guess I'll leave it for now since the aircon is working ok but long run may need to do what u suggested. Thks again!

No prob.

sometime aircon compressor will automatically shut down when temp reaches certain temp...sometime we assume that the aircon got problem but actually it's not and sometime workshop will tell u cock and bull story..pls ask for 2nd and 3rd opinion from other workshop.. it will supprised u.

i kena b4 and all along i tot my aircon got problem (some even b4 looking can confirm compressor faulty)..in the end, it was actually my radiator that was choke that trigger the compressor to stop working...

• Praise 1

My AC filter is below the glove box.

I must crawl upside-down in the front passenger footwell to remove the AC filter. [smallcry]

Lucky its only about once a year. [sweatdrop]

But this year still never do. Now getting lazy. [lipsrsealed]

ya, somewhere there, but spray dettol where?

bro sonax got this product to clean the aircon..just open the cover and let it run along with aircon on...i used it b4 and its quite cool...get rid of those smell..

bro sonax got this product to clean the aircon..just open the cover and let it run along with aircon on...i used it b4 and its quite cool...get rid of those smell..

yes, saw it at caltex, oso saw liquimoly one in marketplace, which is slightly cheaper. only one need ac run for 10 mins, another 15mins.

btw, must remove a/c filter first?

yes, saw it at caltex, oso saw liquimoly one in marketplace, which is slightly cheaper. only one need ac run for 10 mins, another 15mins.

btw, must remove a/c filter first?

no need....

on aircon full blast , put to circulate , close all windows/doors and tab open the lid and let it run for few min (gas will come out ).... make sure u sit outside...hehehe

all smell gone..saw some small cockroach also kena knockout

worth trying bro

no need....

on aircon full blast , put to circulate , close all windows/doors and tab open the lid and let it run for few min (gas will come out ).... make sure u sit outside...hehehe

all smell gone..saw some small cockroach also kena knockout

worth trying bro

ok tks bro, any gd offer?

aiyah u abit late lah...sonax was giving 20% few weeks back during their Kansha festival at Motorimage leng kee

When u remove the AC filter....There is a rectangle opening for the Filter. Now on fan full blast n spray the Dettol into that hole.

U experiment where the AC sucks air into the system(Not all cars is same) to get cooled by the cooling coil. Spray the Dettol there.

Most cars wil suck air to b cooled from below the dash at the passenger/driver footwell.

Autobacs now got promo. $23.90 if Im not wrong. I got it on discount and just try.

I tired before. I like the refreshing smell coming from aircon. But smell will be gone after about 2-3 days.

I do not know if it really helps or not. But seriously the sour smell from the aircon went off.

So far so good.

http://www.autobacs.com.sg/pdf.php

Every month, I just wait for their update on promo. See if anything catches my eye. I will go.

Their products are more pricey. I will only buy when they are on discount.

Edited by Divers

When u remove the AC filter....There is a rectangle opening for the Filter. Now on fan full blast n spray the Dettol into that hole.

U experiment where the AC sucks air into the system(Not all cars is same) to get cooled by the cooling coil. Spray the Dettol there.

Most cars wil suck air to b cooled from below the dash at the passenger/driver footwell.

tks bro, my oni concern is if any dettol oily residue get into fan or duct any issue so far, or was it formulated to be evaporated ultimately?

Autobacs now got promo. $23.90 if Im not wrong. I got it on discount and just try.

I tired before. I like the refreshing smell coming from aircon. But smell will be gone after about 2-3 days.

I do not know if it really helps or not. But seriously the sour smell from the aircon went off.

So far so good.

http://www.autobacs.com.sg/pdf.php

Every month, I just wait for their update on promo. See if anything catches my eye. I will go.

Their products are more pricey. I will only buy when they are on discount.

tks for sharing bro.

tks bro, my oni concern is if any dettol oily residue get into fan or duct any issue so far, or was it formulated to be evaporated ultimately?

tks for sharing bro.

Disenfectant spray like Dettol/Lysol dun leave any oily residue.

Spray Dettol? [confused] Attempt suicide with Dettol spray? [lipsrsealed]

Hahahaha. Dun lah.

I spray n quickly close all doors n windows n lock the car n leave it overnight or longer.

Next day can smell the smell but not so strong. U can open windows n drive a few mins to clear any strong smell.

But it leaves a fresh smell for a week or so after that.

↡ Advertisement