SCMP: Singaporeans not as wealthy as GDP figures suggest

pappy like to play with numbers.

You won't get the real truth out of them.

But that's bcuz you can't handle the truth.

[sly] try me~! [sly]

↡ Advertisement

This is a known fact since donkey years ago. The salary of HK is higher than SG. The GDP is higher due to more influx of investments and money from the super rich. Nothing new.

This is a known fact since donkey years ago. The salary of HK is higher than SG. The GDP is higher due to more influx of investments and money from the super rich. Nothing new.

they feel unfair cos the 'cannot see light' money that flow in cannot be accounted for [laugh][laugh]

they feel unfair cos the 'cannot see light' money that flow in cannot be accounted for [laugh][laugh]

We also have lots of money here that cannot see light [sly] But seems like our gahmen don't mind

• Praise 1

err.... 20% go to cpf cannot touch, of course the 'money not in my hand' but still it helps to pay off property which is cheaper the HK.

I catch no ball...

"

I now refer you to the first chart. In Singapore, personal consumption expenditure has steadily fallen over the years as a percentage of GDP and, at 35 per cent, is now barely half of what it is in Hong Kong. This is an oddity characteristic of a startup economy, not of a wealthy town like Singapore.

"

Personal consumption expenditure as a percentage of GDP...

So, GDP (Y) = Y = C + I + G + (X − M)

If personal expenditure © as a percentage of GDP is going down.. meaning our cost of living is going down! or at least not growing as fast as govt expenditure + Nett export

So, it should be better right?

• Praise 1

Now I totally understand why I'm always poor when my Country is the richest. All the money indicated goes to the elites and Foreigners

exactly.

and the way to boost GDP numbers is to make a lot of transactions to the ledger.

when you spend money, and have money coming in, it is recorded as part of the GDP.

hence the massive construction and re-construction works... etc. All these activities records money movement. and these money movement goes towards the GDP.

it is meaningless to the man in the street.

Now I fully understand why PWD is purposely wanna dig. It's to boost GDP
  • Praise 1

I catch no ball...

"

I now refer you to the first chart. In Singapore, personal consumption expenditure has steadily fallen over the years as a percentage of GDP and, at 35 per cent, is now barely half of what it is in Hong Kong. This is an oddity characteristic of a startup economy, not of a wealthy town like Singapore.

"

Personal consumption expenditure as a percentage of GDP...

So, GDP (Y) = Y = C + I + G + (X − M)

If personal expenditure © as a percentage of GDP is going down.. meaning our cost of living is going down! or at least not growing as fast as govt expenditure + Nett export

So, it should be better right?

Now I fully understand why my HKG friends can eat very often at restaurants and Yumcha. Because they have more personal consumption expenditure and Sporeans need to always make these 3 decisions each meal : hawker centre food court or restaurant, alway end up hawker centre one.

Now I fully understand why my HKG friends can eat very often at restaurants and Yumcha. Because they have more personal consumption expenditure and Sporeans need to always make these 3 decisions each meal : hawker centre food court or restaurant, alway end up hawker centre one.

i asked my friends there before, many apartment with kitchen size for 1-2 people, they dun really want to cook at home especially eateries are everywhere and affordable. Hence you see most shops open late till midnight.

• Praise 1

i asked my friends there before, many apartment with kitchen size for 1-2 people, they dun really want to cook at home especially eateries are everywhere and affordable. Hence you see most shops open late till midnight.

brudder ! how are you ?

Yes the small home area forces many into the streets and go home to sleep only.

But at least they enjoy a lifestyle, we car owners enjoy by polishing our car ah ? we are slave to it for 10 years... [bigcry]

brudder ! how are you ?

Yes the small home area forces many into the streets and go home to sleep only.

But at least they enjoy a lifestyle, we car owners enjoy by polishing our car ah ? we are slave to it for 10 years... [bigcry]

still hanging around ...... :D

i would say our middle class is much fortunate than their in term of having a balance work-family lifestyle. If you walk in the street at night to see so many working people dragging their tire body around at 9-10pm. For us would have finished dinner and watching tv or reading papers, or half asleep at that hour liao.

maybe i am old can't stand the crowd [sweatdrop]

Edited by Jman888

i would say our middle class is much fortunate than their in term of having a balance work-family lifestyle. If you walk in the street at night to see so many working people dragging their tire body around at 9-10pm. For us would have finished dinner and watching tv or reading papers, or half asleep at that hour liao.

edited for you. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Here in SG people also work long hours - got report recently saying we worked the longest hours dunno in the world or in Asia. So this point - I'd say HKG and SG sama sama lah.

I also same like you - I don't like the crowd

tai kor... think you confused the personal consumption expenditure with personal disposable income.

i think this is what the article is trying to do... to confuse the HK readers to think that they are not too bad...

tai kor... think you confused the personal consumption expenditure with personal disposable income.

i think this is what the article is trying to do... to confuse the HK readers to think that they are not too bad...

Tai kor bo tak chek one..

Kam Siah...

We also have lots of money here that cannot see light [sly] But seems like our gahmen don't mind

They will mind if we can touch it!! They believe we are fools when it comes to handlimg our own money and we will waste the money!! That's why they keep it for us, forever, if possible. They said one, not I said. [grin]

Errr... spending habit of sg is different from hk...

Almost everyone wear branded in hk..

They dun spend on cars though

More than 50% of credit card bills in HK are rollover, of course higher consumption lah.

You have a good job.

↡ Advertisement