Ceiling water seepage marks

Bluepica

What do you guys see of this pic?

Few months back, I have inform HDB and they came for inspection. Then it was half the size only. The officer said its not very wet and he didn't found any sign of water seepage on the above unit. Asked me to sand paper them off and repaint.

But my question was what if I spent $$ re plaster and repaint it, but the seepage problem still exist? Wasting my $$ only if the source of it is not solve. He didn't answer me but keep saying he didn't find any problem with the unit above.

Now, the water marks is getting bigger, covered almost the entire bathroom ceiling and paint started to peel off. Worst, it has seeps into my bedroom!

I touched it, its a bit damp.... what should I do?

8CD58B6A-743D-48AC-8BE9-65FAC9167CA3_zps

↡ Advertisement

Likely to be waterproofing of the above unit failing or your neighbour above just re-tiled his bathroom flooring and accidentally damaging the waterproofing membrane.

Write to [email protected] for help since your BO officer was unable to help you.

Likely outcome:

-HDB will send another officer down to inspect your ceiling;

-He or she will say under the rules you and the neighbour above will share 50:50 of the repair to his bathroom waterproofing if it is due wear and tear

Hope this helps.

• Praise 1

Hi,

I also have this problem with my toilet ceiling n kitchen piping area.

checked with a contractor before that prob the neighbour upstair flooring not done properly so water will slowly seep through. Need both sides to do repairing.

In the end only ask the contractor repair my ceiling for about 280. That was abt 5 yrs ago. Now the prob has returned. Maybe will find another contractor to do repair again to last for another 5 yrs.

Hi,

I also have this problem with my toilet ceiling n kitchen piping area.

checked with a contractor before that prob the neighbour upstair flooring not done properly so water will slowly seep through. Need both sides to do repairing.

In the end only ask the contractor repair my ceiling for about 280. That was abt 5 yrs ago. Now the prob has returned. Maybe will find another contractor to do repair again to last for another 5 yrs.

There is very little to do at your end if it is in deed the waterproofing above failing thereby creating the seepage. You are just throwing away good money attempting to repair your ceiling. Any repairs have to be performed at the unit flooring above.

If yours is a HDB unit, ask them for help as per my previous post.

If yours is a condo then may have to seek your MC for assistance.

condo , can see the problem .. because of the false ceiling.. it will be year before you realise there is a problem.

condo , can see the problem .. because of the false ceiling.. it will be year before you realise there is a problem.

Tell-tale signs will be dim damp marks on the false ceiling initially.

just to share, i had similar issue last year.

HDB went up to check my neighbour's house and found they install a bath-tub in the toilet.

And over the years, some water seep into the space and form a pool under the bath-tub , so water seep down to my ceiling pool.

HDB ordered them to "fix" the issue of the bath-tub using their own contractor and now resolved, fully paid by the neighbour who soak bathtub.

the problem always start with the flooring of unit above you.

I see your picture that water marks extend to your wiring area and light bulb area, , better get it fix fast.

Had this before. Confirmed it is the floor above waterproofing not done well, or if the problem is confined to only the part near the floor trap, it is a case of the floor trap upstairs, didn't insert a plastic pipe to join to the existing pipe and seal up properly, thus allowing water to seep into the floor in between the pipes.

Will have to share cost to get it fixed, but expect the upstairs neighbour to resist, as it will mean inconvenience and money out to them... Will sure drag, and that is provided HDB writes to them to tell them must do...

There is very little to do at your end if it is in deed the waterproofing above failing thereby creating the seepage. You are just throwing away good money attempting to repair your ceiling. Any repairs have to be performed at the unit flooring above.

If yours is a HDB unit, ask them for help as per my previous post.

I fully agree if the unit above is not fix, there's no point fixing my own ceiling, because the root of the problem is not solve.

5yrs ago, my downstair unit complained water seepage, and alas, I got a new toilet bowl and tiles after paying 50% of the re-tiling works. Now my turn to complain, the Manager of my estate says he couldn't found any fault with upstairs unit :angry:

then who's fault it is if not water coming downwards from above? [hur]

Just to share.

I have had the same problems and the seepage is very extensive. This is probably due to the age of the flat (30 over years). It started around the ceiling in my toilet. Over the years the seepage extended to the kitchen and my mum's bedroom which is just beside the toilet.

I tried to patch the ceiling with waterproof plaster. But the seepage will travel along whatever crevices within the wall. Patch the toilet ceiling, the seepage propagate to kitchen ceiling. Patch kitchen ceiling, it move along to the bedroom.

For now, the seepage seems to travel along to a vertical wall and down to somewhere. I have this nasty looking water mark on the wall but that can be solve by paint. At least no water dripping from the ceiling.

Conclusion, either fixed it by relaying the waterproofing material in the ceiling or be prepare to chase after the seepage from one location to another.

Edited by Gizmore

Had this before. Confirmed it is the floor above waterproofing not done well, or if the problem is confined to only the part near the floor trap, it is a case of the floor trap upstairs, didn't insert a plastic pipe to join to the existing pipe and seal up properly, thus allowing water to seep into the floor in between the pipes.

Will have to share cost to get it fixed, but expect the upstairs neighbour to resist, as it will mean inconvenience and money out to them... Will sure drag, and that is provided HDB writes to them to tell them must do...

similar case with me now too.

sigh... this new neighbor upstairs... ever since they moved in, they create nothing but problems for me and my family~!

[furious]

Just to share.

I have had the same problems and the seepage is very extensive. This is probably due to the age of the flat (30 over years). It started around the ceiling in my toilet. Over the years the seepage extended to the kitchen and my mum's bedroom which is just beside the toilet.

I tried to patch the ceiling with waterproof plaster. But the seepage will travel along whatever crevices within the wall. Patch the toilet ceiling, the seepage propagate to kitchen ceiling. Patch kitchen ceiling, it move along to the bedroom.

For now, the seepage seems to travel along to a vertical wall and down to somewhere. I have this nasty looking water mark on the wall but that can be solve by paint. At least no water dripping from the ceiling.

Conclusion, either fixed it by relaying the waterproofing material in the ceiling or be prepare to chase after the seepage from one location to another.

Why don't you chase after HDB to chase the owner above?

When you have a problem, you cannot solve the problem by patching here and there

Because the root cause has not been solved and the problem will still show up somewhere else

[sly]

[sly]

[sly]

Just to share.

Happened to be so for 90% of the cases as the unit owners above are not affected.

If not wrong under the law HDB or MCST can compel these owners to "agree" to the repair though unheard of or rather not reported of so far.

Understandably the unit owners above will resist as the inconvenience is real: the affected toilet tiles have to be hacked generating plenty of dust and noise and then a new waterproofing membrane has to be laid over before re-tiling the entire floor tiles again.

Normally takes around 2-3 days at least.

Did I mention during this period the toilet cannot be used?

Imagine this to happen to a 1-3 room flat where there is usually one toilet.....

I fully agree if the unit above is not fix, there's no point fixing my own ceiling, because the root of the problem is not solve.

5yrs ago, my downstair unit complained water seepage, and alas, I got a new toilet bowl and tiles after paying 50% of the re-tiling works. Now my turn to complain, the Manager of my estate says he couldn't found any fault with upstairs unit :angry:

then who's fault it is if not water coming downwards from above? [hur]

Just quote the previous case to your MC lo.

Clearly your MC is shirking responsibility [shakehead]

My mum's place bathroom also leaking, we are on the top level unit. Its a private apartment. Who will be paying for the repair, us or MCST?

this one common property right?