Ceiling water seepage marks

Bluepica

Alternatively, you can offer to pay 100% as a form of charity for the works done.

Actually also not just about the cost. The unit above me has all kinds of stuff in their home. They would have to do a lot of shifting too. And been the old folks, I doubt I can convince them to let the contractors to work on it at their place.

So save the trouble and suck it up. Now that the seepage found a path through the vertical wall to outside, make do with it.

Until the day my ceiling really rains..... [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

don't anyhow set precedence.

paiseh.. what I mean was if money was the only concern to the folks and provided they didn't mind..

not hinting for a forceful decision made.

Previously in my parents' HDB top-floor unit, can you imagine that one find day my father found the mattress in his room a bit wet, then on checking, there was water leaking from the ceiling, near to the light!!!

It was after a very heavy downpour.

I can't remember what happened after we called town council or HDB, but it was only one-off that it happened... But i suspect that HDB then realised that something needs to be done and a (or a few) year later, arranged to i think re-waterproof all the roof top of the blocks nearby. I think it is re-waterproof, as before that, can see the rooftops were all white, then after the work, all the rooftops became black in colour.

Hence if you ask me, i think it should be MC's cost.

come to think of it, we do see some HDB have the "re-roofing" works carried out once a while? probably that is to redo the water proofing?

Actually also not just about the cost. The unit above me has all kinds of stuff in their home. They would have to do a lot of shifting too. And been the old folks, I doubt I can convince them to let the contractors to work on it at their place.

So save the trouble and suck it up. Now that the seepage found a path through the vertical wall to outside, make do with it.

Until the day my ceiling really rains..... [sweatdrop]

My advise is to do something now even if it is going strain relations between you and your neighbour.

You do not really want to come to the day when you find your clothes/belts, wedding photos, curtains all mouldy or worst spalled concrete falling down.

Like some bros mentioned if you are willing to absorb all the costs and also able to convince your upstair neighbour zhi dong a bit then probably a good idea to proceed with the repair works.

come to think of it, we do see some HDB have the "re-roofing" works carried out once a while? probably that is to redo the water proofing?

Not all HDB roofs are RC. Some are zinc-roofed while others are tiled.

Re-roofing is just a term to replace these elements and in some cases for RC roofs involving the more expensive re-treatment of the waterproofing layer.

the tiling takes up 5cm? wow i didn't know that..

Can be lesser though you will be stretching it [;)]

• Praise 1

My mum's place bathroom also leaking, we are on the top level unit. Its a private apartment. Who will be paying for the repair, us or MCST?

Bro..you have a strong case against the MC. The rooftop membrane is their responsibility

ha ha... tough luck lor...

in my case, i had:

- constant dripping of wet laundry, even when ours is already dry

- constant noise of kids running and playing ball in the living room, as first the kids (and later, nephew) was growing up there

- water leakage to both our toilets, and dragging their feet when HDB first wrote to them to repair, and only finally doing it when given a deadline

- giving us the cold shoulder even when we greeted them, after the above...

bro, i got the wet laundry, toilet leakage.

up you one, cigarette ash all over my windows!

and some other nasty stuff that is too gross to mention here.

Come to think of it, HDB roof after some minimum occupation period will be under the Town Council's jurisdiction if not wrong.

In any case if it really is rest assured HDB will direct you to them immediately.

If HDB decides the costs to be borne 50/50; then who decides what is the correct price? Unit upstairs may take the opportunity to do a major renovation or even over inflate the cost (in cahoots with their contractor). Who decides what is fair value?

• Praise 1

If HDB decides the costs to be borne 50/50; then who decides what is the correct price? Unit upstairs may take the opportunity to do a major renovation or even over inflate the cost (in cahoots with their contractor). Who decides what is fair value?

in this case, let HDB appoint the contractor instead of letting the owners select the contractor.

if that is not the case, then dun pay. unless they can justify the bill with itemized bill items.

• Praise 1

Just informed the MCST. He say will send his contractor to have a look.

Good for you bro.

Just don't be conned by them if they say just some painting over will do, which I suspect they will.

Tell them you believe there is seepage through the waterproofing and you demand that they rectify it on the roof, not inside your mum's unit.

-After the rectification works insist they bring you up take a look;

-Likely they will not replace the entire roof's waterproofing but ta kor yio machiam plaster over your mum's unit only which is acceptable;

-Tell them you will monitor and will contact them if seepage occurs again; &

-Now and only now ask them to clean and paint over the stains inside your mum unit's affected areas.

Do also check with the next door's neighbours if they kena the same problem and if they do, "join" forces with them to have more bargaining power with your MC.

Good luck [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Good for you bro.

Just don't be conned by them if they say just some painting over will do, which I suspect they will.

Tell them you believe there is seepage through the waterproofing and you demand that they rectify it on the roof, not inside your mum's unit.

-After the rectification works insist they bring you up take a look;

-Likely they will not replace the entire roof's waterproofing but ta kor yio machiam plaster over your mum's unit only which is acceptable;

-Tell them you will monitor and will contact them if seepage occurs again; &

-Now and only now ask them to clean and paint over the stains inside your mum unit's affected areas.

Do also check with the next door's neighbours if they kena the same problem and if they do, "join" forces with them to have more bargaining power with your MC.

Good luck [thumbsup]

Will do. Thanks for the advise.

bro, i got the wet laundry, toilet leakage.

up you one, cigarette ash all over my windows!

and some other nasty stuff that is too gross to mention here.

Well... dunno whether you or i better: yours sounds like upstairs smoke, throw cig ash/butts. Mine is downstairs smoke, and sure near window too. Experience mini haze whenever it happens...

Update:-

HDB officer came and check again (previous round was my first complain about 6 months ago).

He checked above unit and told me found no sign of seepage.

Check my ceiling, said it wasn't damp, just watermarks getting bigger from the first appearance (more than 6 months ago). HE said little bit of seepage is common for old HDB and because of my ceiling was plastered, the plaster makes the condition looks obvious because plaster are not recommend for ceilings and little bit of water will make it pops up, changed color and crack. he advised me to scrap off the plaster, paint a layer of sealant and paint..... its the same thing he told me on his first visits.

Shall I buy his idea? I'm not sure... any advice? Any contractor doing such minor job?

Update from mine too :

MCST sent their water proofing contractor to have a look at the ceiling. They have looked n taken photos of the ceiling at three locations. They said they will submit a quote to my MCST. No reply from MCST yet.

I was asking the contractor if I could follow them to the roof to look. They said cannot due to BCA laws, I am not allowed on the roof. I said I wana make sure they patched the correct area. They change topic to say wait for approval from MCST to go ahead with the repair then let me know.

My painter managed to make time to visit me. He said require to wait for one month after they had done the patching for the water in the ceiling to completely dry up then call him. He will have to scrap off existing paint, apply oil sealer and repaint. He said will cost $200+ only, ask me not to worry.

TS, maybe you want to check with a painter for their advise.

Update from mine too :

MCST sent their water proofing contractor to have a look at the ceiling. They have looked n taken photos of the ceiling at three locations. They said they will submit a quote to my MCST. No reply from MCST yet.

I was asking the contractor if I could follow them to the roof to look. They said cannot due to BCA laws, I am not allowed on the roof. I said I wana make sure they patched the correct area. They change topic to say wait for approval from MCST to go ahead with the repair then let me know.

My painter managed to make time to visit me. He said require to wait for one month after they had done the patching for the water in the ceiling to completely dry up then call him. He will have to scrap off existing paint, apply oil sealer and repaint. He said will cost $200+ only, ask me not to worry.

TS, maybe you want to check with a painter for their advise.

Bro Adrian, can recommend ur painter to me?

↡ Advertisement