Ceiling water seepage marks

Bluepica

Update:-

HDB officer came and check again (previous round was my first complain about 6 months ago).

He checked above unit and told me found no sign of seepage.

Check my ceiling, said it wasn't damp, just watermarks getting bigger from the first appearance (more than 6 months ago). HE said little bit of seepage is common for old HDB and because of my ceiling was plastered, the plaster makes the condition looks obvious because plaster are not recommend for ceilings and little bit of water will make it pops up, changed color and crack. he advised me to scrap off the plaster, paint a layer of sealant and paint..... its the same thing he told me on his first visits.

Shall I buy his idea? I'm not sure... any advice? Any contractor doing such minor job?

Crap.

His words are exactly the same as the sai seeping through above your ceiling.

Many of us, yours truly included, has mentioned previously what has happened but I will summarised for you again here:

Sealant and paint will not solve your problem. Water will just find its way in between the layers and find its way down somewhere.

My feel is that the water-proofing of the wet area above your unit has deteriorated due to wear and tear OR your neighbour above backside itchy go re-tiled the flooring or drill something into the slab thereby damaging the water-proofing. When this happens, water will unfortunately seep through and caused the water marks on your ceiling.

Implication:

Due to the seepage, the re-bars inside your ceiling slab will start to corrode. Over time the rusted re-bar will force outwards due to its expanded bulk and create cracks on the concrete surface (plastered one in your case). Worst case scenario is spalling which happens when whole plastered/concrete chunks fall off from your ceiling due to the internal pressure. That will not be a pretty sight and pray that none of your loved ones are below at that point of time.

Now tell me if you still wana to believe the BO officer?

Your call.

Update:-

HDB officer came and check again (previous round was my first complain about 6 months ago).

He checked above unit and told me found no sign of seepage.

Check my ceiling, said it wasn't damp, just watermarks getting bigger from the first appearance (more than 6 months ago). HE said little bit of seepage is common for old HDB and because of my ceiling was plastered, the plaster makes the condition looks obvious because plaster are not recommend for ceilings and little bit of water will make it pops up, changed color and crack. he advised me to scrap off the plaster, paint a layer of sealant and paint..... its the same thing he told me on his first visits.

Shall I buy his idea? I'm not sure... any advice? Any contractor doing such minor job?

any toilet/bathroom has water heater is bound to have all those problem mentioned exclude the seepage. Give a good quality paint and install exhaust fan and get a feel of a clean room as all those humid/damp left behind after every usage of the toilet is extyract out by the fan. it really works, try it.

Update from mine too :

MCST sent their water proofing contractor to have a look at the ceiling. They have looked n taken photos of the ceiling at three locations. They said they will submit a quote to my MCST. No reply from MCST yet.

I was asking the contractor if I could follow them to the roof to look. They said cannot due to BCA laws, I am not allowed on the roof. I said I wana make sure they patched the correct area. They change topic to say wait for approval from MCST to go ahead with the repair then let me know.

My painter managed to make time to visit me. He said require to wait for one month after they had done the patching for the water in the ceiling to completely dry up then call him. He will have to scrap off existing paint, apply oil sealer and repaint. He said will cost $200+ only, ask me not to worry.

TS, maybe you want to check with a painter for their advise.

The contractor's full of bull. BCA does not come in. Only MOM governs in such matters on safety.

Only reason I can think of why they cannot allow you to go up is probably due to WSHA as you have not gone through any safety induction talks nor have proper RA conducted. You are also not equipped with PPEs.

(Trust that in the marine industry you know these terms right? [;)] )

Anyway good for you and your mum and hope that it is a satisfactory closure for you folks [wave]

Crap.

His words are exactly the same as the sai seeping through above your ceiling.

Many of us, yours truly included, has mentioned previously what has happened but I will summarised for you again here:

Sealant and paint will not solve your problem. Water will just find its way in between the layers and find its way down somewhere.

My feel is that the water-proofing of the wet area above your unit has deteriorated due to wear and tear OR your neighbour above backside itchy go re-tiled the flooring or drill something into the slab thereby damaging the water-proofing. When this happens, water will unfortunately seep through and caused the water marks on your ceiling.

Implication:

Due to the seepage, the re-bars inside your ceiling slab will start to corrode. Over time the rusted re-bar will force outwards due to its expanded bulk and create cracks on the concrete surface (plastered one in your case). Worst case scenario is spalling which happens when whole plastered/concrete chunks fall off from your ceiling due to the internal pressure. That will not be a pretty sight and pray that none of your loved ones are below at that point of time.

Now tell me if you still wana to believe the BO officer?

Your call.

I understand... But if he keep insist no problem with upstairs, then what can I do? I also wonder why last time no problem only last year start to appear after staying for the past 8 yrs and the above renovation has been done for almost 5 yrs....

I understand... But if he keep insist no problem with upstairs, then what can I do? I also wonder why last time no problem only last year start to appear after staying for the past 8 yrs and the above renovation has been done for almost 5 yrs....

Write to [email protected].

Tell them basically what I have mentioned & say you will hold them responsible if spalling concrete falls off & hurt any of your family members. Copy this mail to your MP.

My 30 years old apartment has water dripping into the unit from ceiling. Contacted MCST, who said most likely due to upstairs concealed water pipe leakage but upstair owner refused to engage contractor to resolve the matter, can the MCST compelled them to do so?

Edited by Civic101

about 2 years have past ever since I've complained to HDB twice and the officer came to take a look twice with a few months break in between. He keep repeating the same story.... old flats, little seepage from upstairs is normal, as my toilet ceiling are plastered, the little seepage amplified by the plastered which is sensitive to water, that's y mark are more visible and the plaster are popping out. Find a contractor to scrap of the plasters, put sealant and repaint the ceiling, and it shold be fine... My questions to him were, but it's already 10years and why only lately the marks appearing and seems to be accelerating? If u said the plasters are sensitive to water, then it should even started happened one or two years after the reno, but why now? And he repeat the same old story. Luckily I didn't spent that few hundred bucks to fix the unfixable and then found problem with other part of the ceiling... And now the water marks started to attack the beam at the kitchen right outside the toilet....these marks just appeared less than a month back.... So what now? shall I call HDB again? And he repeat the same old thing? [:|]

81A16B47-DB74-49FF-AE79-8FF958AD0838_zps

CEA704C3-E1A5-4CAF-98F3-725FFF815DA6_zps

this problem can be up there nearby toilet seeping over or kitchen flooring is always splashing wet.
Water seepage take longer period of time to seeps through as not immediate noticeable.

Open up top hung cabinet if you have to check it too!

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I remember Lim Hng Kiang said spalling concerete is caused by owners spraying water on their ceilings. He also called our first SARS victim a "super-spreader".

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1

if confirm is upstairs problem........and not due to new renovation ...................the bill to fix the problem is split 50/50............you will have to pay 50% of the bill to fix his toilet.............

maybe you can write in to HDB officially.............the officers there usually try to taiji as much as possible because need to do middleman work.................once you write in officially they will have to act........

• Praise 3

if confirm is upstairs problem........and not due to new renovation ...................the bill to fix the problem is split 50/50............you will have to pay 50% of the bill to fix his toilet.............

maybe you can write in to HDB officially.............the officers there usually try to taiji as much as possible because need to do middleman work.................once you write in officially they will have to act........

Yup, I know about the 50/50 payment because my toilet was re-tiled before after downstairs complain leaking... the officer said my downstairs neighbour case is different from mine as her unit was like "raining"... a bit kua zhang.. reminds me of the movie "dark water"...lol...

I don't mind pay again fix upstair cos I don't want my kitchen and toilet sooner or later looks like dilapidated hut :(

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My 30 years old apartment has water dripping into the unit from ceiling. Contacted MCST, who said most likely due to upstairs concealed water pipe leakage but upstair owner refused to engage contractor to resolve the matter, can the MCST compelled them to do so?

Very bad owner upstairs.

Recently my neighbour downstairs had the same problem. I have been working with him over the last 3 weeks to identify the problem spot. I hate to inconvenient anyone especially neighbours so I was very motivated to solve the problem for him. Few days back I was in his unit, climbing up his false ceiling and all. In the end, we concluded that we need some professional plumber to look at this which I am happy to obliged even though I know it means I have to pay some $.

I cannot fathom why people wouldn't want to help their poor neighbours downstairs when their unit is the source of the problem. How do they sleep at night knowing their usage of water is causing nightmares to the poor guy downstairs?

• Praise 1

Yup, I know about the 50/50 payment because my toilet was re-tiled before after downstairs complain leaking... the officer said my downstairs neighbour case is different from mine as her unit was like "raining"... a bit kua zhang.. reminds me of the movie "dark water"...lol...

I don't mind pay again fix upstair cos I don't want my kitchen and toilet sooner or later looks like dilapidated hut :(

if you are prepared to pay 50%.................and the officer not helping.............write in to HDB head office..........

I had issue with the HDB officer in charge of my previous unit.................was rushing reno for CNY............and he kept sitting on the approval of a reconstruct wall........I think he was unhappy with the contractor and kept asking for drawing........

I got fed up...........call up HDB and funny thing is the call also get reroute to him and he was always not ard.........

I ended up calling HDB head office and send an email to them................the email ended up with one of those no know what director...............whom called me back saying that she sld not be the one I sld be contacting.........I told her the whole story and she say she will settle for me...........

next day the officer in charge called me up and approval back dated..........

• Praise 2

Very bad owner upstairs.

Recently my neighbour downstairs had the same problem. I have been working with him over the last 3 weeks to identify the problem spot. I hate to inconvenient anyone especially neighbours so I was very motivated to solve the problem for him. Few days back I was in his unit, climbing up his false ceiling and all. In the end, we concluded that we need some professional plumber to look at this which I am happy to obliged even though I know it means I have to pay some $.

I cannot fathom why people wouldn't want to help their poor neighbours downstairs when their unit is the source of the problem. How do they sleep at night knowing their usage of water is causing nightmares to the poor guy downstairs?

There are always selfish ppl ard one... that time when my downstairs neighbour kena leakage from my unit, immediately HDb recommend re-surfacing my toilet, I accepted without argument, I went downstair see my neighbour for the very first time, 50+ "lou gu po", saw her watering her plants so I went over introduce myself and ask if the reno can delay a week because my parents are around and if during reno no toilet to use for 2 days it will be inconvenient for them.... all the while she didn't look at me while I talk to her and she continue watering her plant... after I finished talking, all she said was "but my toilet keep leaking like, aiyah! you go talk to HDb, don't talk to me.." with such attitude, I turn ard and walked off but still let the reno carry on as planed, ask my parents to move out a while.

Now, my above family also got attitude problem one..... or maybe it's me... [sweatdrop]

if you are prepared to pay 50%.................and the officer not helping.............write in to HDB head office..........

I had issue with the HDB officer in charge of my previous unit.................was rushing reno for CNY............and he kept sitting on the approval of a reconstruct wall........I think he was unhappy with the contractor and kept asking for drawing........

I got fed up...........call up HDB and funny thing is the call also get reroute to him and he was always not ard.........

I ended up calling HDB head office and send an email to them................the email ended up with one of those no know what director...............whom called me back saying that she sld not be the one I sld be contacting.........I told her the whole story and she say she will settle for me...........

next day the officer in charge called me up and approval back dated..........

my wife complaint to HDB and push around to town council etc..... she went to see MP and next day all automatic all up to arrange, they still say "small small thing go to MP leh" we say you guys keep push us around first hor [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

Very bad owner upstairs.

Good of you.

For private property, and under Strata title act, the unit above is responsible 100% if there is proven seepage from upper unit into lower unit.

Neighbour upstairs not cooperating, never mind. Send the bugger a nice letter, and if no further action, send a legal letter (as last resort). Any further damages to fixtures etc therefrom, the upper unit would have to make good.

This has nothing to do with the MCST, although the MA can come in to advise and offer help to explain the law (as not all subsidiary proprietors are au fait with Strata Tile Act).

↡ Advertisement