SG enjoys 1st widespread rain in more than 20 days

Darthrevan

Singapore enjoys first widespread rain in more than 20 days, one of its longest dry spells

singapore08022014e.jpg
A 12-hour weather forecast map for Singapore for 6pm on Saturday, Feb 8, 2014, showing thundery showers in the northern and eastern parts of the island. Singapore enjoyed its first widespread rain in more than 20 days on Saturday, after what was likely its longest dry spell in the last five years.

Singapore enjoyed its first widespread rain in more than 20 days, after what was likely its longest dry spell in the last five years. On Saturday afternoon, thunderstorms brought moderate to heavy rain over the northen, eastern and central parts of the island, tapering off to light rain in the north by about 6.30 pm.
The dry spell had come about because the north-east monsoon's dry phase had set in earlier than usual this year. Last month, Singapore saw just 75.4mm of rainfall, a fraction of the usual amount. But despite being welcome relief from the parched skies of the last three weeks, the rain did not help temper worsening air quality.
The Pollutant Standards Index (PSI), a measure of air quality, crept steadily up throughout the day on Saturday. At 6am the 24-hour PSI was between 24 and 33, while at 6pm it was between 33 and 44.
It is not clear what caused the elevated PSI, but a dry spell has worsened hot spots from slash-and-burn fires in Indonesia's Riau province, while Mount Sinabung in northern Sumatra has been putting out pyroclastic ash since last September. Rainfall for the next week is likely to be below average for most parts of Singapore, said the Meteorological Services Singapore in its forecast for the first fortnight of February.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I remember I used to see a farm boy with his water ox in the first page of traditional Chinese calendar. Whatever his foot wear or no foot wear will indicate the weather throughout the year. Very hard to see such calendar nowadays.

He's seen from barefeet to wearing sleepers to wearing boots to indicate how wet or how dry the year will be. Anybody knows?

west side only get it on Sunday for a short while, better than nothing.

My central side also have but makes me very very mad ... :angry:

All the dust stains on my car & windscreens. Have to wash all over again ... [bigcry]

Edited by Picnic06

My central side also have but makes me very very mad ... :angry:

All the dust stains on my car & windscreens. Have to wash all over again ... [bigcry]

I went to wash my car when it rained yesterday. My wife tot I sot tio. [grin]

I remember I used to see a farm boy with his water ox in the first page of traditional Chinese calendar. Whatever his foot wear or no foot wear will indicate the weather throughout the year. Very hard to see such calendar nowadays.

He's seen from barefeet to wearing sleepers to wearing boots to indicate how wet or how dry the year will be. Anybody knows?

from hwz people: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/anyone-still-uses-kind-chinese-calendar-4562978.html

This is called 春牛图

Very simple to read. Just look out for this...

牧童(芒神)

Basically, the person.

No wear shoes = Lots of rain

Wear shoes = Dry weather

One foot with shoes, one foot no shoes = Good weather

Wear hat = cooling weather

No wear hat = hot weather

The rest not so important (like example -- the position of the person, colour of the cow's horns, colour of the person's clothing, age of the person etc.), though they do tell information too, but not as important as the shoes and hat

1rsJ0pq.jpg

• Praise 1

from hwz people: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/anyone-still-uses-kind-chinese-calendar-4562978.html

This is called 春牛图

牧童(芒神)

Basically, the person.

Wear shoes = Dry weather

The rest not so important (like example -- the position of the person, colour of the cow's horns, colour of the person's clothing, age of the person etc.), though they do tell information too, but not as important as the shoes and hat

1rsJ0pq.jpg

You fortune teller in previous life or now part time?

THanks for the information nonetheless!! [thumbsup]

You fortune teller in previous life or now part time?

THanks for the information nonetheless!! [thumbsup]

No lah

I just read this from hwz

Quite interesting

Wonder why last time, they need boy and ox calendar

Maybe not many could read [sad]

No lah

Quite interesting

Talking about these things ---------- last time i small boy internet was not invented yet, so when i free, couldnt not surf internet, but i read my grand mother's thick book (the one people read to find out suitable dates for special events etc etc), not sure where to find such thick book nowadays? (its kinda an 'encyclopedea' in ancient china)

No lah

Quite interesting

Hey, thanks for the link. My grandpa taught me how to interpret before but too long ago can't remember. So this year is going to be dry.

This is called 春牛图

牧童(芒神)

Basically, the person.

Wear shoes = Dry weather

1rsJ0pq.jpg

I thought wear 'hat' means hot weather cos the boy is shielding from sun rays.... [sweatdrop]

Hey, thanks for the link. My grandpa taught me how to interpret before but too long ago can't remember. So this year is going to be dry.

No problem!

Glad to read about legacies of our forefathers

Supercharged

Talking about these things ---------- last time i small boy internet was not invented yet, so when i free, couldnt not surf internet, but i read my grand mother's thick book (the one people read to find out suitable dates for special events etc etc), not sure where to find such thick book nowadays? (its kinda an 'encyclopedea' in ancient china)

So what have you learn from that thick book about special event dates? Do share us leh.... [:p]

Any tips which day to buy Toto is best? Which day to make love is best? [grin]

↡ Advertisement