LKY medical condition

Alheych

fully agreed ... no one is perfect ....

any decision was made based on condition at that time ...

some decision was made best and some was not ...

he has my highest respect

Yes, me too... I'd seen the ugly days (1960's - riots, racial fights, gang fights, huge fires, constant flooding - those who were staying around Eunos area during that period will know) and how the island transformed to this beautiful day today. Can also remember how stink Singapore river (Clarke Quay area) was, but today you can dine beside that river. All this is because we have this wise man around to make the decision for change. For that, senior Lee has my highest respect too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

More than 2 weeks still on ventilator. Think even if can be extubated, he will be severely weakened.

Wishing him all the best.

yea...at that age, to wean off gonna be tough. Unless they create a Trachey for him.

Wish him well but knowing the odds, gonna be tough.

• Praise 1

I have seen a lot of posts on Facebook referring to LKY as THE founding father of Singapore.

I didn't live through the earlier period, so would like to ask the lao jiao here -

Is this a fair description of the times and the people?

What I have read, what I have learnt, there were also many other contributors,

from the fight for MRT, to CPF being started by the British in 1955, to HDB...

It may be my own prejudices, but I have also noticed a move from LKY being referred to as "Singapore's first Prime Minister" to "Singapore's Founding Father" - do you feel this is a deliberate "lionization" of him, or a reflection of public sentiment?

• Praise 3

I have seen a lot of posts on Facebook referring to LKY as THE founding father of Singapore.

I didn't live through the earlier period, so would like to ask the lao jiao here -

It may be my own prejudices, but I have also noticed a move from LKY being referred to as "Singapore's first Prime Minister" to "Singapore's Founding Father" - do you feel this is a deliberate "lionization" of him, or a reflection of public sentiment?

thanks for raising questions that are worth thinking over.

• Praise 2

I am ok with the term "Singapore Founding Father", for it is his vision that created our modern Singapore...

From 1965 all the way till now, from industrialisation of Jurong till the urbanisation of our CBD....

Yes, he has a couple of able ppl surrounding him, but still, he is a leader that commands respect and leads these able ppl....

• Praise 4

theres no 1 founding father IMO. he just happens to still be alive n being the 1st PM of modern SG & bringing SG to its current economic state.

if u look at past 200yrs history, SG has always been a v important n successful port, such that the japs wanted SG as their main target coz of our location. I wld say the british set alot of key foundations for us, & LKY brought us forward to next level.

so its sir stamford raffles n lky imo for founding fathers

im not sure anyone even remembers lim kim san, goh keng swee, hon sui sen, richard hu, sim kee boon, dhanabalan etc n many others who played key roles supporting lky

Edited by Duckduck
  • Praise 8

To me, I feel that LKY is one of the pioneers who was part of the work force that started from the initial development of SIngapore, which resulted in a colossal achievement. So we should thank him for that. But he is not the only one. There are many others who also contributed to the early development, but are not prominent and didn't rise to the apex. We should give recognition to all of them, by giving them totally free medical, a decent monthly living expense, and also recognition. In a way, those who weren't enriched, they should be given more by the nation than those who were. We should be thankful for everything we have today.

• Praise 2

im not sure anyone even remembers lim kim san, goh keng swee, hon sui sen, richard hu, sim kee boon, dhanabalan etc n many others who played key roles supporting lky

i remember all of these and i had contact with most of them either during or towards the end(for those who have passed on). ALL gentlemen true and true!

• Praise 3

Good question

• Praise 2

To me, I feel that LKY is one of the pioneers who was part of the work force that started from the initial development of SIngapore, which resulted in a colossal achievement. So we should thank him for that. But he is not the only one. There are many others who also contributed to the early development, but are not prominent and didn't rise to the apex. We should give recognition to all of them, by giving them totally free medical, a decent monthly living expense, and also recognition. In a way, those who weren't enriched, they should be given more by the nation than those who were. We should be thankful for everything we have today.

Unsung heros who prefer doing the hard work often time behind the scene in humility instead of arrogance, avoiding publicity and self glory, but there has to be someone to be the front man who may or may not be the key contributor many make him out to be.

• Praise 4

i think when steve job build apple or bill gate build microsoft, no one remember the rest of the team.

when you mention a country, i believe we can only remember one of the predominant figure from that country such as Gandhi, but if ask about australia or nz, i doubt we can think of any [laugh]

• Praise 1

I am ok with the term "Singapore Founding Father", for it is his vision that created our modern Singapore...

From 1965 all the way till now, from industrialisation of Jurong till the urbanisation of our CBD....

Yes, he has a couple of able ppl surrounding him, but still, he is a leader that commands respect and leads these able ppl....

Could well be a collective vision from the team of pioneers though [grin][:)] ..... good that others rather stayed in the background doing their work.

• Praise 3

i think when steve job build apple or bill gate build microsoft, no one remember the rest of the team.

when you mention a country, i believe we can only remember one of the predominant figure from that country such as Gandhi, but if ask about australia or nz, i doubt we can think of any [laugh]

errr...the prisoners?

Steve-Irwin-crocod_2847616b.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2