Sony PC business close shop...

Jman888

Question mark over fate of Sony workers here
10/02/2014 on mypaper by AMIT ROY CHOUDHURY
As Sony's announcement of exiting the PC business and reducing headcount by 5,000 sent shockwaves across the industry, officials at the Japanese tech giant's Singapore office said on Friday that they were "reviewing the situation".
When asked whether job cuts would include those employed in Singapore, a Sony spokesman said that he was "unable to provide further details at the moment", except to say that the company was reviewing its operations.
The company employs 1,600 people here and its operations include regional headquarters' functions, sales and marketing, engineering and manufacturing, IT and treasury services.
The manufacturing is mainly in the area of batteries. It does not have any significant PC manufacturing operations here.
On Thursday, Sony said that it was selling its PC division, which makes the well-regarded Vaio brand of computers, to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP) for a deal worth in the region of 40 billion to 50 billion yen (S$498-S$623 million), according to various reports.
As part of the reorganisation, the company will let go of 5,000 employees to stem losses, which were forecast at 110 billion yen for the financial year ending March 31. Out of the 5,000 job cuts, 1,500 would be in Japan and 3,500 overseas.
Sony said that around 250-300 Sony Corp and Sony EMCS Corp employees involved in PC operations, including planning, design, development, manufacturing and sales, are expected to be hired by the new company established by JIP.
Sony will also explore opportunities for employees to be transferred to other businesses in the Sony Group.
For employees of Sony Corp and Sony EMCS Corp who are not hired by the new company or transferred within the Sony Group, the company plans to offer an early-retirement support programme to assist their re-employment outside of Sony Group.
To execute these measures, Sony is allocating a further 20 billion yen in restructuring expenses in fiscal 2013 and a further 70 billion yen in fiscal 2014.
Sony expects that the retrenchment exercise will result in annual fixed-cost reductions of more than 100 billion yen, starting in fiscal 2015.

Not a good horse year to begins with [:(]
↡ Advertisement

Not a good horse year to begins with [:(]

One week ago, I just bought a brand new Toshiba L40-AS109-XG notebook for RM2099 in JB, very lucky not selecting Sony notebooks due to Toshiba supported 3 years warranty in such attractive price [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

The problem with VAIO laptops is, they are trying to market it with the likes of Apple mac book, with style and design as it's selling point. But do not have the hardware and software to back it up. Furthermore, if i'm not wrong, the higher end VAIO laptops are made in Japan, which contributed to it's higher cost and lower profit.

One week ago, I just bought a brand new Toshiba L40-AS109-XG notebook for RM2099 in JB, very lucky not selecting Sony notebooks due to Toshiba supported 3 years warranty in such attractive price [sweatdrop]

$800 for that machine, good price.

$800 for that machine, good price.

The Specifications are as below:

14" Statellite L40-AS109XG (gold colour RM.2099 nett)

Intel Core i5-3337U Processor (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.7GHz, 1.8GHz, 3MB Cache)

Window 8 Single Language

4GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM

Navidia GeForce GT740M with Optimus Technology (ext 2GB VRAM)

750GB (SATA) with shock absorbers

Onkyo Stereo Speakers enhanced with DTS Sound

1 year Battery Warranty (carry-in)

3 years carry-in Local Warranty (parts & labour)

"Toshiba warranty send-in repairing workshop is located next buliding to JB New York Hotel, near-by causeway"

Blue / Gold / White

The Specifications are as below:

14" Statellite L40-AS109XG (gold colour RM.2099 nett)

Intel Core i5-3337U Processor (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.7GHz, 1.8GHz, 3MB Cache)

Window 8 Single Language

4GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM

Navidia GeForce GT740M with Optimus Technology (ext 2GB VRAM)

750GB (SATA) with shock absorbers

Onkyo Stereo Speakers enhanced with DTS Sound

1 year Battery Warranty (carry-in)

3 years carry-in Local Warranty (parts & labour)

"Toshiba warranty send-in repairing workshop is located next buliding to JB New York Hotel, near-by causeway"

Blue / Gold / White

how much is the R930? i bought one last year at S$1599 [:(][:(]

how much is the R930? i bought one last year at S$1599 [:(][:(]

I bought it at JB, Ungku Tun Aminal (皇后车站对面) Toshiba Authorised Shop with Thomas (+60127553087), [thumbsup] he is a real nice sales person who provide me good services with a smile, you may sms him for Toshiba PC enquiries。

I bought it at JB, Ungku Tun Aminal (皇后车站对面) Toshiba Authorised Shop with Thomas (+60127553087), [thumbsup] he is a real nice sales person who provide me good services with a smile, you may sms him for Toshiba PC enquiries。

Your JB massage trip totalled up to almost S$1,000 with this laptop purchase :D

Your JB massage trip totalled up to almost S$1,000 with this laptop purchase :D

You've forgot to add up my favorite " 抓 根 special sevice", ai lai mai ! dai low [confused]

why no buy in SG? isn't it cheaper in SG?

The problem with VAIO laptops is, they are trying to market it with the likes of Apple mac book, with style and design as it's selling point. But do not have the hardware and software to back it up. Furthermore, if i'm not wrong, the higher end VAIO laptops are made in Japan, which contributed to it's higher cost and lower profit.

Agree totally. For the price they are asking, I rather get a Apple lappy and if there's a need for Widows, can install Widows also using dual boot FOC or Parallels.

Tablet will be the next victim

Edited by Kangadrool

Agree totally. For the price they are asking, I rather get a Apple lappy and if there's a need for Widows, can install Widows also using dual boot FOC or Parallels.

Tablet will be the next victim

installing windows on mac requires windows license. but widows I not sure! :D

got hot and sexy version? :D

Edited by Knoobie

Tablet killed the PC star..

I bought 2 Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11 Windows RT - Touchscreen

Each only $499.

Its a Laptop and can be use as Tablet. Only 64GB memory but I don't bother since my kids store all their school work in their USB thumbdrive.

So far so good.

↡ Advertisement