Almost lose $1000 without knowing

Mcfguy

Buy direct from owner in full cash lor. Less "misunderstanding" on who is at fault and moreover got, ic , address phone number if anything.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Buy direct from owner in full cash lor. Less "misunderstanding" on who is at fault and moreover got, ic , address phone number if anything.

Not everyone can afford to pay full cash de...

2nd hand dealers all bloody con men. havent met a good one yet

cannot one bamboo stick hit and drown the whole boat

last time i had the same thought as you

but changed my mindset after i bought my second hand car (last year)

i traded in my old car, got a 2k discount, plus a year of free road tax

have been driving happily since without any issues

then you lucky lor. but they're the exception rather than the norm

• Praise 1

When I sign the sales contract, COE was already hovering above $71K and they only bidded $68k ~ $69k for the first 5 attempts and $70k plus for the last attempt. I think this multiple time COE bidding system is just a buffering strategy for reaping as much financial benefits as possible (by asking buyer to top up) and if that is not possible, then they just happily let the bidding fail. There is nothing the customer can do until fully expanded the number of COE attempts spelled out in the sales contract.

Then again, I know there is also one time guaranteed COE....

The honest ones are far and few between as they are unlikely to survive in this cowboy town environment so we are left with mostly the bad hats.

Sad to say, nowadays it is quite safe to say car dealers are unscrupulous and be at least 90% right.

Unless the govt step in and regulate hard in this industry, we won't see much improvement anytime soon.

• Praise 2

People are only after 1 thing - money.

nothing wrong with wanting to earn more money, just needed to do it with conscience.

Edited by Mcfguy
  • Praise 1

Buy car so stressful in SG.. My brothers bought 2 cars overseas, a Sorento diesel and a 2.5l CX5, don't need pay any deposit and just wait 3 weeks for car delivery.. Car arrived, just pay them cash and drive off. S$50000+ for each car.

I do not understand why some of us are using this thread to bash second hand dealers.

It is clear that the "dishonest" party here is the authorised dealer, as TS wanted to buy a showroom car.

TS, u probably need to exercise due diligence on the following points:

1.The agreed $1000 rebate for buying showroom car should be written down in the contract and details as to when to be refunded and under what circumstances can this be voided etc.

2. The COE hinted at (as per your account above) ought to be spelt out in details to protect yourself from the events after u signed on the dotted line. The conditions affecting the getting of one, the number of attempts and refund etc must be clear and concise so that u do not get lost among the jargons.

Trust needs to be earned. In this instance, it's your first dealing with them, hence be very firm and clear about your purchase. There are bad apples in every trade. Be vocal to ask questions and if answers are vague or wishy washy with many "trust me, trust my BIG reputable company etc etc", these are not answers.

Please update us on the remaining $9000 deposit to be refunded. They should not take too long to do so.

Hope u are able to secure a new ride. Do consider 2nd hand one but only if u learn to be firm with what u want. Dun allow them to play punk and please bring along a trusted neutral friend or mechanic to check out the ride, if 2nd hand, otherwise just stick to your original plan for brand new.

Safe ride

Cheers

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 4

I do not understand why some of us are using this thread to bash second hand dealers.

It is clear that the "dishonest" party here is the authorised dealer, as TS wanted to buy a showroom car.

I've agreed to take the showroom car because:

1. thinking that I was able to get it in the first bid as they are a big reputable authorised new car distributor and they have "ways" of getting it.

2. They have no more stock for the colour I wanted

3. I was to be given a $1000 rebate

After denying me the $1000 rebate based on reason that I only took a minimum loan, I just let it be and thought that if they went all out to get me the COE, I'll just forget about it. I then asked in return, could they help install an in car cam for me since I am not being given the $1000 rebate and the in car cam is just $100~$200 plus, the sales staff then made arrangement to add in a integrated GPS system valued at $2000 (he claimed). Although this is not what I wanted but since he is being "generous", I relented.

When I refused to top up $5000 for the COE bidding, I suggested why not just take back this GPS as I don't really need it anyway and use the $2000 to top up the bidding. This sales staff then replied in an uneasy tone that the "market" value of the GPS is at most $1000 and suggest removing other accessories from the car plus I further top up $500 more. I refused.

TS, u probably need to exercise due diligence on the following points:

1.The agreed $1000 rebate for buying showroom car should be written down in the contract and details as to when to be refunded and under what circumstances can this be voided etc.

2. The COE hinted at (as per your account above) ought to be spelt out in details to protect yourself from the events after u signed on the dotted line. The conditions affecting the getting of one, the number of attempts and refund etc must be clear and concise so that u do not get lost among the jargons.

Trust needs to be earned. In this instance, it's your first dealing with them, hence be very firm and clear about your purchase. There are bad apples in every trade. Be vocal to ask questions and if answers are vague or wishy washy with many "trust me, trust my BIG reputable company etc etc", these are not answers.

Please update us on the remaining $9000 deposit to be refunded. They should not take too long to do so.

Hope u are able to secure a new ride. Do consider 2nd hand one but only if u learn to be firm with what u want. Dun allow them to play punk and please bring along a trusted neutral friend or mechanic to check out the ride, if 2nd hand, otherwise just stick to your original plan for brand new.

Safe ride

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I will be more firmed in my future purchase.

Then again, even in writing as per the GPS to be installed, I still get cheated in terms of the value when using it to top up COE bidding.

Agreed on trust needs to be earned but when one goes all out to mislead, it will usually take quite a while before you discover it.

1. thinking that I was able to get it in the first bid as they are a big reputable authorised new car distributor and they have "ways" of getting it.

After denying me the $1000 rebate based on reason that I only took a minimum loan, I just let it be and thought that if they went all out to get me the COE, I'll just forget about it. I then asked in return, could they help install an in car cam for me since I am not being given the $1000 rebate and the in car cam is just $100~$200 plus, the sales staff then made arrangement to add in a integrated GPS system valued at $2000 (he claimed). Although this is not what I wanted but since he is being "generous", I relented.

When I refused to top up $5000 for the COE bidding, I suggested why not just take back this GPS as I don't really need it anyway and use the $2000 to top up the bidding. This sales staff then replied in an uneasy tone that the "market" value of the GPS is at most $1000 and suggest removing other accessories from the car plus I further top up $500 more. I refused.

all i can say is....the AD salesman sucks at his trade or he simply has too many backlogs for him to relac... [:|]

yes I agree with you.

I bought a 2nd hand car for my wife from Auto Megamart and had no issues for 3 years.

We nego down $4k from their listed price and told them no loan.

• Praise 1

Not everyone can afford to pay full cash de...

But TS implied he basically can pay in full in this case. He took minimum loan.

Edited by Throttle2

My 2 cents worth.

First of all, the rebate for taking the showroom car has nothing to do with taking minimum loan. You are entitled to the rebate because the car has already been driven by countless hands before coming to you. No doubt the mileage is low but to me driving many short distances is worse than driving one long distance. Next, by asking you to top up 5k to secure the coe shows how insincere the dealer is. If the coe should drop but still above the rebate level, they will still pocket the difference. Remember you booked the car at the previous coe level. So the risk sharing should be both dealer and buyer. At most 1k top up not 5k. Hope you will meet a better dealer next time round.

My 2 cents worth.

First of all, the rebate for taking the showroom car has nothing to do with taking minimum loan. You are entitled to the rebate because the car has already been driven by countless hands before coming to you. No doubt the mileage is low but to me driving many short distances is worse than driving one long distance. Next, by asking you to top up 5k to secure the coe shows how insincere the dealer is. If the coe should drop but still above the rebate level, they will still pocket the difference. Remember you booked the car at the previous coe level. So the risk sharing should be both dealer and buyer. At most 1k top up not 5k. Hope you will meet a better dealer next time round.[/quote

Oops sorry my bad. I mixed up showroom with test drive car. But my view on the 1k rebate still stands....

↡ Advertisement