Almost lose $1000 without knowing

Mcfguy

My 2 cents worth.

First of all, the rebate for taking the showroom car has nothing to do with taking minimum loan. You are entitled to the rebate because the car has already been driven by countless hands before coming to you. No doubt the mileage is low but to me driving many short distances is worse than driving one long distance. Next, by asking you to top up 5k to secure the coe shows how insincere the dealer is. If the coe should drop but still above the rebate level, they will still pocket the difference. Remember you booked the car at the previous coe level. So the risk sharing should be both dealer and buyer. At most 1k top up not 5k. Hope you will meet a better dealer next time round.

Couldn't agree more on your point about the risk sharing. Back then I was asked to sign another contract that has the price adjusted up by $5000 which I refused. I was thinking somewhere in the same line like...what if the COE were to dip in the next round? AD definitely would not return me the $5000.

One other thing I have to clarify though, showroom car is not test drive car. It supposed to be just parked in the showroom for viewing only and not used for test drive. It gets touched and sat in no doubt but not taken out for test drive.

↡ Advertisement

Couldn't agree more on your point about the risk sharing. Back then I was asked to sign another contract that has the price adjusted up by $5000 which I refused. I was thinking somewhere in the same line like...what if the COE were to dip in the next round? AD definitely would not return me the $5000.

One other thing I have to clarify though, showroom car is not test drive car. It supposed to be just parked in the showroom for viewing only and not used for test drive. It gets touched and sat in no doubt but not taken out for test drive.

Sorry to all. I must have pressed something wrong earlier and posted a blank reply. But still I think it is not right to tie the rebate to the loan. Usually loan is tied to the free leather seats or solar film, etc.

Jajajaja...small world. Yah, he is the only 1/2 decent one around. Hafnt seen him around lately.

I just bought about 40kg from him last month.

He said the next one will be coming in March

I be driving up to durian plantation in tangkat in March

Maybe can arrange a drive up there.

• Praise 1

Try not to show excessive interest (too "gian"!) for the car, make a fair offer to the seller on a take it or leave it basis, be prepared to walk away and of course ensure everything in black and white!

There are plenty of alternative choices around!

After reading this thread, seems like buying a new car also have to be very careful. Sigh!!!

Thought this will only happens to 2nd hand car only. Sigh!!!

other than all the advice given by forumners here, one still need luck to certain extend when buying a car. Sad though but its a fact. If most auto sales maintain a high level of professionalism and integrity, then all we have to worry is just what car to buy.

Still, I believe there are just some black sheeps among whites. Just my luck that I had this sales staff servicing me.

Edited by Mcfguy

I faced the almost same problem when I was changing my car in 2007. My then corolla G9 had high paper value as it's under old PARF system. In order to enjoy the benefits of max PARF value, I need to de-register it before its age reach 5th year May 2007. 6 mth before that I was hunting for a replacement.

After a period of going round of hunting, I wanted to settle for Renault Meagan after CNY in Feb. When I was about to sign the deal, I asked the freebies the Salesman promised to be written in B&W. After deducting the PARF value, I just need top up a few $K...but when he learnt that I was not taking any loan then he said the car would come w/o sport rims! So in end this deal was off ....

In Apr I booked Hyundai Tuscon but I stated in the Sales Agreement only 1 bid and no Open Cat. In the end they missed getting the COE by merely $900 and still wanted me to take a older & much lower Open CAT....I refused as this would affect my future PARF value.

So for buyers whose car going to be scrap or de-register soon, my advice is to start to search for a replacement early, state all promises in B&W and insist on 1 or 2 bids max especially now is the buyers' market.

cannot one bamboo stick hit and drown the whole boat

last time i had the same thought as you

but changed my mindset after i bought my second hand car (last year)

i traded in my old car, got a 2k discount, plus a year of free road tax

have been driving happily since without any issues

the used car market operates in an environment which is easy for dishonest dealers to exploit and cheat their customers.

People are only after 1 thing - money.

or sex, for some.

previously I went to komoco motor to test the i30 n was serve by a ah pek salesman. after test drive, he keep wanting me to sign the car as I wasn't make up my mind as I haven't shop for other car too.

from then on, I had a very bad image of komoco salesperson.

i can't agree more even my dad's own friend who is a 2nd hand car dealer want to take in my car at only 80+k while all the other dealers could take in at 90k to 93k.

lucky i did a check around before deciding against selling my car like that.

Even friends wanna eat your son's $$. whats there to say about dealers ?

don't say friend lah

my relative runs a used car firm

and i don't even use his services at all

nothing wrong with wanting to earn more money, just needed to do it with conscience.

The dictionary defines conscience as “the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action.

To the dealer who believes that it is alright to use various tactics in business dealings to make the extra buck, to him he has conscience.

It is a sad state of our society. Sigh

Trust yourself if there's a deal involved in big $$$$, i bought my E60 used car and i write alot of agreement which agree and promise by dealer and ask him to chop and sign. It might not works but i prefer all write in black n white if something goes wrong.

My wife uncle operate an car accessories and tyre shop in jb, when my bro in law replace his tyre there with no discount but..... tyre burst right after out from the shop. I checked on tyre found that DOM was 4 years ago near to 5 years..... relatives, when come to profit it was nothing.

Edited by Lydiachristopher

The dictionary defines conscience as the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action.

To the dealer who believes that it is alright to use various tactics in business dealings to make the extra buck, to him he has conscience.

It is a sad state of our society. Sigh

It seems sensible following strictly to a dictionary definition and then self justifying one's own action pertaining to having conscience. If that's the case, one who murders and rob is doing it with conscience because its his rights to covet after someone elses' riches. One who rapes would also be doing it with conscience because it is right to obtain pleasure for his little brother.

The key lies in the "what is right or wrong in one's conduct", which is not for one individual to define but of a general, societal and legal acceptance.

• Praise 2

sigh... sad rite?

one of the most expensive things we buy in our life, out of which almost 3/4 goes to the G. and G never bothered to do anything to regulate or ensure the industry is honest~! [shake]

Actually, since the G has such a humungous vested interest, they should regulate the AD/PI/2nd Hand Dealer just like :

CEA - Council for Estate Agencies

https://www.cea.gov.sg/

The above in governing the property agents is damn fierce and have sabre teeth. A property estate agent friend told me. The fines are brutal & can come with jail term. Even have things like daily fine of X amount per day the misconduct is not made good.

Iwt, this again is an example illustrating that they could if they wanted to.

Council for Car Dealers aka CCD ? anyone?

↡ Advertisement