"Speed" Sgp version, GVGT.

Watwheels

Remember the 1994 movie "Speed" starring Keanu Reeves? We have one here. I mean just the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodOLliNTx4

Tan Tam Mei | The New Paper | Monday, Feb 17, 2014

SINGAPORE - He heard vehicles behind him honking before he saw an SBS Transit bus barrelling towards him, against the flow of traffic.

Fortunately, he swerved to the left in the nick of time, narrowly avoiding a collision with the oncoming bus Thursday.

The motorcyclist, who wanted to be known only as Mr Amir, said: "If I had reacted one or two seconds later, I might not be here already."

The runaway bus was originally travelling along Hougang Avenue 3 towards Lorong Ah Soo when it failed to stop at the red light junction at Bartley Road East.

It hit the back of a car and two motorcycles, before driving straight into oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road. The incident took place at around 4.30pm Thursday.

Mr Amir, 31, a clerk at a law firm, was on his way home along Hougang Avenue 3 when he came face-to-face with the runaway bus, which he estimates was travelling at about 70kmh.

"One of my first thoughts was: 'Am I on the wrong side of the road?' I turned back after stopping, but the bus was still going," he said.

He managed to swerve out of the way and stay on his bike as the bus continued past him, before coming to a stop when it hit a road divider

Mr Amir parked his motorcycle by the side of the road, and his previous training as a traffic policeman during his national service days kicked in.

He rushed over to help the other motorists involved in the accident.

"There were about four or five other people who stopped to help also," he said.

He went to check on the two motorcyclists who were lying unconscious on the side of the road first, before checking on the driver, whose car had ended up at the centre of the junction.

The driver, Mr Bryan Cai, 30, a project manager at a building and construction firm, who was alone in the car, said: "The green turning arrow was in my favour. But the bus still came towards me at a high speed. I'm still in shock."

Mr Amir then asked a passer-by to call the Traffic Police. The police said three people were injured and taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

The New Paper understands that one of them is a bus passenger and the other two the motorcyclists.

The cause of the runaway bus is still unknown. It was also unclear how many passengers were on board.

Ms Tammy Tan, senior vice-president of corporate communications at SBS Transit, said the bus captain involved will be suspended while investigations are still ongoing.

In his manoeuvre to avoid the runaway bus, the key to Mr Amir's motorcycle fell out and got lost, so he had to leave it there.

"I helped out. But now it will be very inconvenient for me to travel for work. I don't even know if I can claim insurance for this," he said

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Weird that the bus continued on its way like nothing happened machiam like Speed as what you mentioned.

Brakes kaput?

Heng it did not cause further mayhem... [sweatdrop]

Maybe driver from china.

I was in Chengdu China and this is exactly what the public bus driver did. Driving against the flow of traffic and with honking along when his own lane is jam. I was in a car on the oppsition lane. This happen multiple time on different days.

• Praise 1

Weird that the bus continued on its way like nothing happened machiam like Speed as what you mentioned.

Brakes kaput?

Heng it did not cause further mayhem... [sweatdrop]

Bus runs on pneumatic brakes, if i'm not wrong, you need air pressure in the system to work the brake. If there's no pressure, the default position of the brake is closed (ie, gripping the brake drum).

Bus runs on pneumatic brakes, if i'm not wrong, you need air pressure in the system to work the brake. If there's no pressure, the default position of the brake is closed (ie, gripping the brake drum).

Which means this clown steps on the gas ALL THE WAY???

Imagine there is a group of cyclists (today encounter many of them on the roads, groups here and there-why huh?) along its path.... [sweatdrop]

Which means this clown steps on the gas ALL THE WAY???

Imagine there is a group of cyclists (today encounter many of them on the roads, groups here and there-why huh?) along its path.... [sweatdrop]

Either the clown is a siao kia, or the accelerator got stuck..