Could Anyone Have Braked In Time To Avoid This Accident?

Jellandross

Neutral Newbie

Another hero.

Physics already shown not possible yet another claim can stop in time.

because i wont drive that fast.

↡ Advertisement

because i wont drive that fast.

Already quoted earlier, even u drive at 20km/hr, u will still hit the girl.

Reaction Time, Foot off gas pedal, hit brakes, car stop will take several meters.

Even driving at a crawl, u will still hit the girl.

Unless you are super hero.

Another thing, y u slow drivers always think slow is safe?

Reaction Time, Foot off gas pedal, hit brakes, car stop will take several meters.

Normally (as I'm sure you know :D), I'm a big fan of speed. But it can be dangerous in residential areas, which is why I tend to drive much slower in these places, especially when visibility is limited. The irony, of course, is that TP enforcement is practically nonexistent on small residential roads, whereas they're all gung ho trying to generate revenue enforce safety on the larger roads, where it's actually much safer to go faster than the limit.

Sorry for the digression, but my point was this: even if the girl is hit at a lower speed, she would have a much higher chance of being alive. The probability of mortality scales nonlinearly with vehicle speed. For instance, see this source: http://humantransport.org/sidewalks/SpeedKills.htm

Interestingly, the scaling is even more steep than a square relationship, which one might naively assume based on just a "transfer of kinetic energy" relationship. I think the missing factor is that the amount of damage done to the body also scales nonlinearly with the energy transferred to it.

Neutral Newbie

sorry i read through previous post and does not find such claim. i only judge from the video and i have a feeling that i can stop in time, based on my 12 years SAFE driving experience.

but a little bit calculation does not hurt as well.

it looks to me the driver was driving about 60km/h-70km/h, based on the video. my feeling only. from the girl appearing and hitting the girl, the time is about 1 second. i would estimate i have around 10 meters to 15 meters distance to the girl from the time i spot the girl.

based on typical stopping distance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_188029.pdf

the typical stopping distance is 12 meters if driving speed is 32km/h. for such road conditions, my speed is 35-40km/h at most. most likely 35km/h and i am sure i am in alert mode. so my reaction will be slightly faster than "typical". take this into consideration, i will be able to stop in 12 meters for sure, in worst worst case.

yes it will be a close miss. but in my case i will either miss or lightly touch the girl only. absolutely i will not bump the girl hard like in the video.

i am just an average driver. btw i am not a slow driver at all. it's not difficult to step on gas pedal isnt it? its not about skill that slow me down in such road conditions. it's the responsibility.

Edited by Liuhao

sorry i read through previous post and does not find such claim. i only judge from the video and i have a feeling that i can stop in time, based on my 12 years SAFE driving experience.

but a little bit calculation does not hurt as well.

it looks to me the driver was driving about 60km/h-70km/h, based on the video. my feeling only. from the girl appearing and hitting the girl, the time is about 1 second. i would estimate i have around 10 meters to 15 meters distance to the girl from the time i spot the girl.

based on typical stopping distance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_188029.pdf

the typical stopping distance is 12 meters if driving speed is 32km/h. for such road conditions, my speed is 35-40km/h at most. most likely 35km/h and i am sure i am in alert mode. so my reaction will be slightly faster than "typical". take this into consideration, i will be able to stop in 12 meters for sure, in worst worst case.

yes it will be a close miss. but in my case i will either miss or lightly touch the girl only. absolutely i will not bump the girl hard like in the video.

i am just an average driver. btw i am not a slow driver at all. it's not difficult to step on gas pedal isnt it? its not about skill that slow me down in such road conditions. it's the responsibility.

See replies 69, 71, 74.

I think 74 shows screenshot of girl first appear.

Now u claim u can only stop in 12m and wouldn't hit girl.

compare girl first sight and taxi bonnet 3-4m.

Ya, u would hit girl, u just run her over.

I also have over 10 years of driving experience.

Mileage covered over the past 10 years, +300,000kms

Accident rate due to my fault - none.

• Praise 1

Nope....there's no way anyone could stop in time...this will happen especially during morning school rush hour.

Drive carefully bros when approaching school area.

Hope the girl is ok....

Supersonic
(edited)

It's extremely unlikely that anyone can stop in time, the time from presentation of stimulus (when girl came into peripheral vision) to the time when she entered the path of the car is even less than the typical RT (reaction time), forget about braking distance.

My opinion: unless it can be proven that this driver was speeding (that is a difficult thing to gauge, but it doesn't look like it, judging by how quickly he is traversing the dashes in the road markings), he should be legally off-the-hook. Morally, he will still bear a heavy burden, but there should be no criminal or civil suit against him because I don't think he could have done anything differently. The accident was almost completely due to the girl's carelessness. Yes, she is a child and we are inclined to feel tender toward her. She is also perhaps less responsible for her actions than a normal adult. Nevertheless, road safety is something that is drilled into every youngster's head, and she did not follow the basic principles.

I said "almost completely" before. The remaining part is not on the driver, but instead on the piss poor road design. If the gahmen is going to go after this guy, they should also go after themselves for being so damn reactive (rather than proactive) when it comes to transportation safety. Not just in this case, but also apropos of the MRT safety barriers and other stuff.

Edited by Turboflat4

Neutral Newbie

See replies 69, 71, 74.

I think 74 shows screenshot of girl first appear.

Now u claim u can only stop in 12m and wouldn't hit girl.

compare girl first sight and taxi bonnet 3-4m.

Ya, u would hit girl, u just run her over.

I also have over 10 years of driving experience.

Mileage covered over the past 10 years, +300,000kms

Accident rate due to my fault - none.

3-4m i can not stop. but it looks to me more than that. i estimate about 10 meters.

post-3907-0-15323700-1398997442.jpg

Supersonic

3-4m i can not stop. but it looks to me more than that. i estimate about 10 meters.

And even then you can't stop in time. Because you're not taking into account the reaction time, which averages 1.5s for "normal" drivers (this is the figure most often used by accident reconstructionists). At even 40km/h, your car would have travelled almost 17 metres before you even stomp on the brake.

*Maybe* an F1 driver driving an F1 car can come to a complete stop from 40km/h within 10m, or even 8m. But not even such a superlative talent can do it in a road car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1