Why are Singaporeans not interested to buy Malaysian cars?

Quantum

as attached,

really unbelievable 2013 whole year, proton only sold one unit in Singapore,

back to many years ago, my boss was proudly driving Proton waja :angry:

maybe Singaporean jealous our northern neighbour has own automobile industry, intentionly boycott thier product [laugh]

M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

Edited by Quantum
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

maybe Singaporean jealous our northern neighbour has own automobile industry, intentionly boycott thier product [laugh]

Dont flatter them. It's not jealousy in play, it's just being rational.

After the Proton Saga/Wira era, Singaporeans roughly know the quality of proton cars liao, and the fact that after 20 years, there's very little difference in the quality of Malaysian car.

With the high COE that the current situation and the 10year old rule, don't say Proton, other brand also having a hard time.

• Praise 1

as attached,

Jealous? Sure boh? [dizzy]

Rented a near-new saga in MY once (the current model). For those who missed the good ol' 80's, this one confirm will bring back memories of how cars were like back then...... [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Think only Malaysian PR will be interested right cos spare parts and servicing can be done up north.

heard the only sold unit was bought by Sheng Siong supermarket as luck draw 1st prize [laugh]

heard the only sold unit was bought by Sheng Siong supermarket as luck draw 1st prize [laugh]

Lol are u serious?? Sheng siong so rich give car as prize.

Lol are u serious?? Sheng siong so rich give car as prize.

maybe bare car w/o COE??

never believe can win prize so never read T&C

not about jealous, but the quality....Japanese still better...too bad I bought proton because cheap and the cheapest for 7 seaters...now cannot afford...

• Praise 2

i also driving a malaysia made car since day 1.. not bad leh..

8 yrs already, body malaysia, engine renault

well, i believe marketing plays an important part..

with our car price and COE, if proton priced themselves half or much lower compared to others, i don't see why singaporeans are not biting it

Edited by Kurty
  • Praise 2

I think it's still about value. Singaporeans don't like to pay three times as much to have the same thing that people can get cheaply across the border. Look at how many people cross into JB to buy groceries. If can save people will save. If have to spend must well spend on something more 'wu hua'.

• Praise 1

Think only Malaysian PR will be interested right cos spare parts and servicing can be done up north.

I doubt so........my view is generally both Singaporean and Malaysian PR also don't like it save for a handful that wants the car for its low maintenance advantage when it is serviced across the causeway.

reasons are simple

1) Singaporeans are brand conscious , quality conscious and to a lesser extent like to act ATAS. Once they know how much the car cost across the causeway 20km away, they considered it loss of face and doubly loogi to pay such a high price to own it in Singapore compared to what they could have paid to own it 20km away from Singapore

2) For the same reason, Malaysian PR jolly well knows how much this car cost in their home country. emotionally, they won't want to pay so much more for the same thing in Singapore. I believe they are also not so nationalistic in culture like the Japanese to insist on supporting their own country's badge of car. however do note that perodua does seem to have bigger presence in Singapore compared to the proton. perodua is also more popular than proton in Malaysia now.

like I say, the handful who could see the value in this car are those who intents to service this car in jb and see the plentiful parts supply in JB as the persuasive factor. this handful, could be Singaporean or Malaysian pr.

• Praise 7

maybe bare car w/o COE??

never believe can win prize so never read T&C

Lucky draw prize for new car never come with COE one unless it's a second hand car (Lexus) from...... [:p]

Never driven a proton before but sit in before in saga, waja and perdana before, i could say proton still has a lot of hwk to do.

Dunno about the new proton perdana.

But given at current high coe Kia K3 will be the best choice

as attached,

Not jealous but look fool driving proton up north with sg plate, the malaysian see u bodoh cos u overpaid the car by 7x

Never driven a proton before but sit in before in saga, waja and perdana before, i could say proton still has a lot of hwk to do.

Dunno about the new proton perdana.

But given at current high coe Kia K3 will be the best choice

Not jealous but look fool driving proton up north with sg plate, the malaysian see u bodoh cos u overpaid the car by 7x

It's a magnet for car jacking too. You will be better off in other obscure contis than MY cars.

Supercharged

like I say, the handful who could see the value in this car are those who intents to service this car in jb and see the plentiful parts supply in JB as the persuasive factor. this handful, could be Singaporean or Malaysian pr.

Actually many cars models (non Malaysian cars) also can be serviced in JB, and with parts available too. This includes car models not even sold in Malaysia eg, Hyundai Avante, Lancer GLX, etc.

Actually many cars models (non Malaysian cars) also can be serviced in JB, and with parts available too. This includes car models not even sold in Malaysia eg, Hyundai Avante, Lancer GLX, etc.

yep, I know about that. even my saab can be serviced there if I want. it is just that most average people perception is that parts are plentiful in the badge's home country.

↡ Advertisement