Do You Want To Retire Before 60 ?

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I told my boss I don't want a promotion or more responsibilities and I don't need more money.  Just leave me alone to do my current job, which I can basically do and fulfil all requirements with about 50-60% of time and effort on my part.  So my job is quite relaxed and when both kids graduate, I will ask for part time work, maybe 3 days a week if my company allows.  At the very most 4 days a week.

Then I can have an even more relaxed time.

am doing this and add the travel part....pre covid, love the travel part, spent sometime in Europe and East asia….lan lan now stuck here!!!:TT_TT:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Arogab said:

If you retire at 50 and then stop work for a while. You will find it hard to come back again. 

My friend, he got a few property in China and also SG. We used to work in the same company, same position at different times. He retired 5 years ago at 49 and now tells me he got problem with wife and kids. It's probably good he get some work to do. But no one want him at 54 and breaking off for so long.

Why problem with wife and kids?

what kind of problem?

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Why problem with wife and kids?

what kind of problem?

I think that guy retire and stay at home nagging with the wife and kids lah. Also maybe after retire, always call me to help to ship the bai jiu by boxes go drink with neighbors I suppose. I never want to ask, my boss in China looking for a Corporate Quality guy, just suits him. Ask him go find my boss. Haha

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

9 hours ago, Cheesey74 said:

Bro, money is nvr enough, accumulating neverending wealth is a fav past time in spore, we must learn when to stop and enjoy our retirement earlier, i also aiming to retire by 50 and go pursue my own interest n travelling, being single is easy for me, only concern is my aging parents but i guess we gotta take thing as it is, if worry or plan too much, then what's the point of retiring... haha.

That is good for you, contentment is a great virtue. 

I have a friend who retired at 46 and happily idling away, he is however the minority, most don’t cope well, at least initially, after a lifetime of grind, suddenly they lack purpose and have no hobbies to fill their time.  

Actually we have not read much posts from forumers who have retired early and willing to share their retirement journey.

Come come and share.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Arogab said:

I think that guy retire and stay at home nagging with the wife and kids lah. Also maybe after retire, always call me to help to ship the bai jiu by boxes go drink with neighbors I suppose. I never want to ask, my boss in China looking for a Corporate Quality guy, just suits him. Ask him go find my boss. Haha

When retire, we must have a passion or several hobbies that we can be occupied with.

i have a few including sports, gastronomy and travel and Rolexes.

the important thing about retiring to me is that, we dont need to be at the beck and call of the employer or the job….as long as you remain employed, your time and quality of work is dedicated to your employer.   in other words, your freedom.  Thats such a nagging feeling.  

my intention is to travel probably once every month for a week and engage in the sports which i enjoy for exercise and the hobbies i love Rolex and cigars for human interaction.   Of course, since i am a private investor, investing itself also never really stops.   But i can do that anywhere in the world with telecoms

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

When retire, we must have a passion or several hobbies that we can be occupied with.

i have a few including sports, gastronomy and travel and Rolexes.

the important thing about retiring to me is that, we dont need to be at the beck and call of the employer or the job….as long as you remain employed, your time and quality of work is dedicated to your employer.   in other words, your freedom.  Thats such a nagging feeling.  

my intention is to travel probably once every month for a week and engage in the sports which i enjoy for exercise and the hobbies i love Rolex and cigars for human interaction.   Of course, since i am a private investor, investing itself also never really stops.   But i can do that anywhere in the world with telecoms

Pai Miah ah.😄😄

Retirement is a dirty word, i know of few friends younger than me, thy happily retired after cashing out their CPF funds, do some small business, 1/2 went travelling ard the globe, seek paradise and I passes on thereafter after chronic disease.

Their brain cell no longer pushing the limits, get tired easily and no passion in hobbies or lack of activities in community work et cetc

Some will sit in coffee shop and idle their time away ... thy came back to work port time claiming life after retirement can be boring if one has no same liking in hobbies like Mahjong, running kakis or dancing partners, so top each their own . . . When the phone ping, we realise so and so in hospital or ICU... too late liao

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

Retirement is a dirty word, i know of few friends younger than me, thy happily retired after cashing out their CPF funds, do some small business, 1/2 went travelling ard the globe, seek paradise and I passes on thereafter after chronic disease.

Their brain cell no longer pushing the limits, get tired easily and no passion in hobbies or lack of activities in community work et cetc

Some will sit in coffee shop and idle their time away ... thy came back to work port time claiming life after retirement can be boring if one has no same liking in hobbies like Mahjong, running kakis or dancing partners, so top each their own . . . When the phone ping, we realise so and so in hospital or ICU... too late liao

Indeed, I guess that is what happens to my friend. He got no hobby. Probably going around neighborhood and back home annoying the wife and kid. 

Not for me though, I got lots of hobby, be it at home enjoying my hi if, outside cycling or fishing. Go play basketball or Mahjong with old friends or take out my cameras. I will have not enough time. Another hobby is drinking. Haha

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

I think i wont have these problems. 
everyday still cigar and look at market, financial and Rolex.  Tennis  2-3 times a week. Travel once a month to nearby destinations.  Once or twice a year visit further destinations, visit friends in Australia, HK, Canada, Switzerland etc…
Maybe go on some motorbike trips if my wife allows, heh heh.   

@Throttle2 Indeed, yours is different league, 2 level higher than us, we are common folks, I don't smoke, drink nor wear lolex, most watches are unbranded, the longest sport watch I had was an " ellesse " 200m under water resistance . Ate simple meal since I cook my own dinner , walked almost 3/4 times weekly. No hard liquor, only D.O.M before i turn in. Cheers!

Edited by Meanmachine
  • Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

@Throttle2 Indeed, yours is different league, 2 level higher than us, we are common folks, I don't smoke, drink not wear lolex, most watches are unbranded, the longest sport watch I had was an " ellesse " 200m under water resistance . Ate simple meal since I cook my own dinner , walked almost 3/4 times weekly. No hard liquor, only D.O.M before i turn in. Cheers!

I think we all are responsible to plan for and execute what we want upon retirement.  
especially we are not born with silver spoon in the mouth.  

• Praise 1

Every one should have their own check boxes or bucket lists for retirement sake. 

I certainly have mine drafted out long ago...some are awaiting Singpools to approve niah 😁 

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

The romantic story would be to retire and travel the world...but alas..cant do it now..

Yes , Covid really threw a spanner in the works…… hai……

those who are discussing , debating here are all doing well by my standard, you guys  are talking about retiring before 60, I am beyond and still (have to continue) working....sob sob.

• Haha! 3

Working for an employer, be it yourself or someone else is selling your life and time.

It can be cheap or expensive depending on the situation, such as this thread of gold.

Those 'fortunate' would be able to find the thread or have some young person have this explained to them.

Some hobbies as the resident horologe would describe it can be fun and financially rewarding, such as the practise of medicine...where can you officially be allowed to take a knife to a person and be paid and thanked for it? Basically engaged in an enjoyable activity until the body/mind goes kaput. 

Lifelong hobby, who would want to retire?

There are of course those born with silver spoons, these people unfortunately would find it difficult to articulate with a spoon in their mouth 😁

Blessed few can find a lifelong positive socially acceptable hobby.

Working for dollarz is operating at a base needful level.

Early stoppage is really bad for the taxman, whose hobby is woefully impacted.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1