Do You Want To Retire Before 60 ?

14 hours ago, Voodooman said:

That is good for you, contentment is a great virtue. 

I have a friend who retired at 46 and happily idling away, he is however the minority, most don’t cope well, at least initially, after a lifetime of grind, suddenly they lack purpose and have no hobbies to fill their time.  

Actually we have not read much posts from forumers who have retired early and willing to share their retirement journey.

Come come and share.

Haha yes, contentment indeed is my biggest virtue but then i know lotsa folks will call it "unmotivated in life" or "lack of desire to succeed".

I seriously do no need much money or as a matter of fact exp$/branded stuff, i'm happy to be alive without health issues, with a roof above my head and an aircon that works at night haha and of course how can we forget the all important wifi, my baseline needs.

It's like i need a car, yeah i will buy a new car and if i need a bike, i will buy a new bike, but both will just be normal b&b model but it must be new cos i wanna avoid unnecessary vehicle issues, anyhow i can't afford those in atas category.. heehee.

So yeah, i think retirement is really easily achievable for simple folks who dun need much but rather they must plan how to spend their retirement time meaningfully.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

4 hours ago, Cheesey74 said:

Haha yes, contentment indeed is my biggest virtue but then i know lotsa folks will call it "unmotivated in life" or "lack of desire to succeed".

I seriously do no need much money or as a matter of fact exp$/branded stuff, i'm happy to be alive without health issues, with a roof above my head and an aircon that works at night haha and of course how can we forget the all important wifi, my baseline needs.

It's like i need a car, yeah i will buy a new car and if i need a bike, i will buy a new bike, but both will just be normal b&b model but it must be new cos i wanna avoid unnecessary vehicle issues, anyhow i can't afford those in atas category.. heehee.

So yeah, i think retirement is really easily achievable for simple folks who dun need much but rather they must plan how to spend their retirement time meaningfully.

Simple is good

• Praise 1

hmm I still only 40. 
I don't really want to retire early, but I'm different stage of life from you guys. 

Retiring early can be good depending on your own lifestyle, whether u have a bucket list of stuff to achieve. Or if your lifestyle is sibei stress or work is all-encompassing.
I'm not really into the hedonistic treadmill thing, so while i always wish i can work slightly less... the reality is that this tension is probably not a bad thing.

I don't die die love my work, but it keeps my mind relatively agile and it forces me to interact with people which i really prefer not to and is actually somewhat uncomfortable for me.
And that is a good thing, cos it confronts my main weakness. 

Allocating limited time is a problem that forces me to prioritize.

I like to cook but i don't like to cook more than 1-2 times a week. I like to read but there's only so many books to read that I'm genuinely interested in. 
I want to spend time with family but too much, probably become complacent and just treat it as a given.
I don't mind traveling, but going for more than a short holiday, nah I'm not interested. 
I'm definitely not those guys who go all-in into some hobby, which frankly many men are prone to (I'm one of the exceptions).
Maybe I'm most interested in helping my kids learn skills or the skills of skill-learning, but there is also value in being a role-model rather than just a "coach".

Maybe if i have grandkids to help take care of, then I'll seriously consider retiring.
Otherwise let's revisit this thread in 10 years time, if MCF is still around.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

planning to retire in the next 2 years

dont want to stuck in spore leh ... [bigcry] 

Same!  2 years for me too.   Will stay in Singapore as long as my parents are still around.  Maybe just go stay somewhere 3 months a year during haze season

bro, i already set my eyes in Ipoh la  ....

stay in JB for what? so many sinkies come over during the weekend ... feel like still in spore ... muahahahaha

and rent condo ... no need to buy ... every 1-2 year can change condo ...  [laugh] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

42 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

hmm I still only 40. 
I don't really want to retire early, but I'm different stage of life from you guys. 

Retiring early can be good depending on your own lifestyle, whether u have a bucket list of stuff to achieve. Or if your lifestyle is sibei stress or work is all-encompassing.
I'm not really into the hedonistic treadmill thing, so while i always wish i can work slightly less... the reality is that this tension is probably not a bad thing.

I don't die die love my work, but it keeps my mind relatively agile and it forces me to interact with people which i really prefer not to and is actually somewhat uncomfortable for me.
And that is a good thing, cos it confronts my main weakness. 

Allocating limited time is a problem that forces me to prioritize.

I like to cook but i don't like to cook more than 1-2 times a week. I like to read but there's only so many books to read that I'm genuinely interested in. 
I want to spend time with family but too much, probably become complacent and just treat it as a given.
I don't mind traveling, but going for more than a short holiday, nah I'm not interested. 
I'm definitely not those guys who go all-in into some hobby, which frankly many men are prone to (I'm one of the exceptions).
Maybe I'm most interested in helping my kids learn skills or the skills of skill-learning, but there is also value in being a role-model rather than just a "coach".

Maybe if i have grandkids to help take care of, then I'll seriously consider retiring.
Otherwise let's revisit this thread in 10 years time, if MCF is still around.

At 40, its a bit too young to think of retirement hence your thoughts above.   Very very normal.

10yrs later at 50, you will think differently.  😎😁

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Cheesey74 said:

yes agree.  Health is #1.  No point putting together a huge nest egg but cannot enjoy because of health issues.

Me also buy b&b cars only.  For me, a car is just a point A to B transport, so I don't want to spend too much on it.  

Overall, I am happy to be in my current position where I can continue to work or retire immediately also can.

• Praise 5

42 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

At 40, its a bit too young to think of retirement hence your thoughts above.   Very very normal.

10yrs later at 50, you will think differently.  😎😁

happy problem to have.

If can think of when to retire, it's always a good problem. As opposed to being forced to retire from medical issues [laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Same!  2 years for me too.   Will stay in Singapore as long as my parents are still around.  Maybe just go stay somewhere 3 months a year during haze season

4 yrs for me.....also planning sometime in SG and sometime "somewhere"....[laugh]

but i would like to continue to work - do some light work even after retired, maybe help pple sell won ton mee….or drive PHV for a few hours a day...

Edited by Spidey10

31 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Wah so many people can retire, means Singapore lang no problem.  
So steady.  

spore lang very cham leh ... had to sell bags to feed children wor .... sure bo ... muahahaha

do you need to sell cigar? lol

2021-09-29_171406.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

spore lang very cham leh ... had to sell bags to feed children wor .... sure bo ... muahahaha

2021-09-29_171406.jpg

I sell Rolex to feed children 

still selling

damn cham

cigar no sell. For smoking 

Edited by Throttle2
  • Haha! 2

30 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

2021-09-29_171406.jpg

Chay..... If sell children to buy bags then that's newsworthy. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4