Do You Want To Retire Before 60 ?

Turbocharged

What is a silent heart attack?

I can probably retire in the next few years based on x amount of passive income that is sufficient to pay for all my expenses at the moment but am not sure if I can survive on just gym, books, mycarforum, the occasional travels and a step-down lifestyle. Wifey thinks after working 12-14 hours day for umpteen years, I will go crazy and end up making her life miserable. So I may consider downgrading to a less taxing job or one whereby I have a better work life balance (more control at my end) but who wants to hire someone operating at sub-optimal level?

Q: What is your motivation to apply for this job, which is a downgrade from your current position?

A: I want to go home at 6 pm sharp and sleep better at night. *LOL*

Maybe I will start my small business to keep myself active but knowing me, I will end up giving 110% and working harder than before. Dangerous move as once in, difficult to extricate yourself.

Care to share a little more on your thoughts of life after full retirement?

Its true that many who are previously hyperactive (in work) find it hard to adjust to a slower pace of life when they move into 'retirement' phase of their life. Some couldn't adjust and actually went back to work!!!

If the person is still keen to learn new things (now the learning is no longer work-related, but purely for pleasure or knowledge), or spend more time with his existing (or new) hobbies, he may find there's a whole new world waiting for him to experience and enjoy. Charity work is another huge area he can explore.

Good to maintain a keen sense of curiosity, coz it will keep his mind active. The mind can play tricks on a person when he has too much free time and doesn't really know how to make use of it to enrich his life...

Just take it easy, the first few months are for explorations and this can even take longer, but no rush, just relax and set a relatively "loose" routine instead of following the previous tight schedule when the person was still working.

Some even start planning for things to do well before retirement actually starts, eg networking for voluntary work etc etc.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

By the way, are you in any volunteer or religious group? I have friends who retire early but are active in volunteer works, it is a way to stay active and return to society.

When we were living in HK my missus was involved in volunteer work, really enjoyed it, spent a lot of time at it, and was good at it.

But she couldn't find anything when we came back home.

She looked and looked.

It's not for me though.

Horses for courses I suppose.

• Praise 1

Its true that many who are previously hyperactive (in work) find it hard to adjust to a slower pace of life when they move into 'retirement' phase of their life. Some couldn't adjust and actually went back to work!!!

If the person is still keen to learn new things (now the learning is no longer work-related, but purely for pleasure or knowledge), or spend more time with his existing (or new) hobbies, he may find there's a whole new world waiting for him to experience and enjoy. Charity work is another huge area he can explore.

Good to maintain a keen sense of curiosity, coz it will keep his mind active. The mind can play tricks on a person when he has too much free time and doesn't really know how to make use of it to enrich his life...

Just take it easy, the first few months are for explorations and this can even take longer, but no rush, just relax and set a relatively "loose" routine instead of following the previous tight schedule when the person was still working.

Some even start planning for things to do well before retirement actually starts, eg networking for voluntary work etc etc.

Yeah, it definitely requires a change in mindset, you fully retired? Sounds like you have a lot of experience in hanging loose.

Maybe I will try golf again, picked it up about 10 years ago to relieve stress and get myself out in the sun a little but quit after an old uncle in his 50s told me that my kids are still young and I should play golf only when my children won't go out with me anymore. It makes sense as I wasn't spending enough time with my family then. Took his advice and till now my golf set is still rusting in my store room.

Turbocharged

Yeah, it definitely requires a change in mindset, you fully retired? Sounds like you have a lot of experience in hanging loose.

Maybe I will try golf again, picked it up about 10 years ago to relieve stress and get myself out in the sun a little but quit after an old uncle in his 50s told me that my kids are still young and I should play golf only when my children won't go out with me anymore. It makes sense as I wasn't spending enough time with my family then. Took his advice and till now my golf set is still rusting in my store room.

Though I touched golf briefly years ago, I may pick it up when my body cant take other sports. I have older friends who play golf full time (not as a pro) and continue enjoying it many years till now, still going strong. But a few after 2-3 years playing almost everyday, have had enough of it and looked for other hobbies. Golf sounds like a time consuming sport, or good sport to kill time [thumbsup]

Sometimes I tell others I am in between jobs, but have no idea what the next job will be or if it comes at all [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

I guess different people suit different 'styles' of retirement. In fact, the word 'retirement' can be changed to "New Life" as the priorities can be very very different from that of the past 50 years of the person's life. eg boss? --- what's that? 9-5? --- can actually do away with the watch / clock. etc etc.

I would like to retire by 50.

But i think it gets harder becos the opportunity cost gets bigger.

I must tell myself to work towards that.

how much do we expect to have monthly to spend if wan to retire in comfort ?

$3k $8k ??

Please define your comfort level. Some is comfortable taking PT with elderly pass, some is comfortable with driving a small car, some is comfortable only if they can drive a big car, even at retire.

Hypersonic

Garmen is going to extend official retirement age, maybe to 67 ? in the near term.

As long as I don't need to get money from children, and able to survive with 3 decent homecook meals with wifey, and with home loan paid up, I would think maybe a sum of $2k every month (maintenance) would be enough for me to consider to retire.

But as of now, still need to support young children ... so, retirement is way off my thoughts.

Yes, PM talked about it during his Labour Day speech. Although he put it in a nice way, the message is clear. Continue to work, don't think of retiring, reduce expectation of pay.

Please define your comfort level. Some is comfortable taking PT with elderly pass, some is comfortable with driving a small car, some is comfortable only if they can drive a big car, even at retire.

Drive a 2l sedan car, able to go on holiday anytime. can meet up with friends weekly..

Turbocharged

Why u all so kan jiong. Europe already extent their retirement age Liao. So many like oversea gahmen. Ours just follow them nia mah.

Rely on son is a bad idea. That is the last thing I would ever rely on.

ya lor. best to be self sufficient and dont burden kids.

just want them to be happy and not have to worry abt us

ya lor. best to be self sufficient and dont burden kids.

just want them to be happy and not have to worry abt us

yes bro. Our kids have to be independent as well as we as their parents. So this is my idea of retirement.

I have seen my own close relative who still has to go back to work in order to let her son learn the rope to run a business she has built for almost 20 years, yet her son, 40 years old, does not want to take over, her son is Western graduate but so far has no promising career nor business on his own. His mum in her early 70s, who has retired for almost 10 years, needs to work again... This is no good.

Compared to our government latest message, we need to work beyond normal retirement age, it must be out of being active not out of survival. Well, we need to prepare early to actually enjoy our retirement in good health in term of physic and monetary wise.

Turbocharged

Yes, PM talked about it during his Labour Day speech. Although he put it in a nice way, the message is clear. Continue to work, don't think of retiring, reduce expectation of pay.

actually i don't mind working beyond 65, but my CPF withdrawal date/age must not also increase..

also mean that i also should not be required to contribute CPF anymore (since employer contribution would decrease anyway).

how much do we expect to have monthly to spend if wan to retire in comfort ?

$3k $8k ??

At least $20k

Drive a 2l sedan car, able to go on holiday anytime. can meet up with friends weekly..

Go invest $3mil in your ponzi scheme loh, so easy. Wwwahahahaha!

Hypersonic

Bottomline, garmen want us to continue to work as long as possible, so that the retirement age can be extended and then the draw out from CPF can also be extended. Meaning, we will never be able to see our money nor touch it, till we reach 70!

With expenses continue to go up, we will really Jia Liao Bi !

At least $20k

Go invest $3mil in your ponzi scheme loh, so easy. Wwwahahahaha!

Looking back at what i said in 2014

I am glad that the number did not go up

The difference is that in 2014 i had a job

Since late 2015 til now i havent (a real job)

I am not sure if i am considered retired at this point but I hope to get another part time job after this current one ceases. As long as honest job, wipe tables no problem lah, i have experience.

Just give me a chance. Please

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1