Singtel to charge for whatsapp and skype?

Little_prince

User pay for bandwidth already

No?

That's only the ISP's end-user agreement.

They are out to grow their third party throughputting channels with other OTT service providers who are using their physical assets.

That's got nothing to do with bandwidth already paid for by endusers.

It's no different from how SP PowerGas and PowerGrid manage and implement policies on usage of the Singapore gas and electrical grids. Nor any different from how EMA administers the usage of the SLNG terminal - especially for oil majors who wish to bring in their own LNG on a passthrough basis.

Every business is protecting their own interest, or they'll go bust in this dog-eat-dog business world!

Edited by Astrid
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Anyway it's between the app operators and the carriers/network providers.

"If you want to use my servers and the lan line that I've laid, you will have to pay."

I think end users will be least affected coz between carriers there's still the ongoing price wars. End of the day carriers will make more moola. Those who want to download the app will probably have to pay.

• Praise 1

Let's put the case of the disgruntled ISPs another way ... To see their POV.

If you were to have paid millions to live in a condominium and you later observe that many not staying there, but at nearby HDB estates come to your condo to park there, use the pool and other facilities, and then wash themselves up in the common showers ... maybe even the sauna etc. - every evening, and it gets especially congested over weekends.

How would you feel - after having paid millions for the exclusivity to live there? Will you let it go ... business as usual?

No right. You and the rest of the condo proprietors will do something immediately!

Maybe issue a owner/tenant/occupier card and instruct the security guards to police this unconditionally.

Now, aren't the ISPs, Singtel in this case, also doing the same thing to protect their invested assets and business case?

I guess it only hurts you most, if it's yours.

I have already paid for the data plan, should they even bother how I chose to use that service?

• Praise 1

That's only the ISP's end-user agreement.

They are out to grow their third party throughputting channels with other OTT service providers who are using their physical assets.

That's got nothing to do with bandwidth already paid for by endusers.

The fact that you and I arereading MCF via our 4G is already using their physical assets...which we have paid a "rent' to have the right to read MCF via their 4G. Technically nothing different from using Whatsapp.

• Praise 1

If Singtel want to charge FB/Whatsapp, FB also can charge Singtel for using FB page. [laugh]

That is so true. Any page with more than 5,000 likes should be charged

Anyway it's between the app operators and the carriers/network providers.

"If you want to use my servers and the lan line that I've laid, you will have to pay."

I think end users will be least affected coz between carriers there's still the ongoing price wars. End of the day carriers will make more moola. Those who want to download the app will probably have to pay.

Agree. Enuf said.

Let the ISPs block the OTT Apps - we cannot control that.

That's outside our end-user agreement with the ISP.

If SingTel and all the other ISPs in the world were to JOINTLY tell WhatsApp and other OTTs to pay for physical network usage, or go build your own network grid, they can too, if no deal could be cut.

Then see how WhatsApp reacts. They could either choose to pay the demanded throughputting fee TO each ISP, or stop operating, or build their own physical network (this last one is unlikely, as that deviates from the raison d'être of what internet is all about).

But whichever way, I don't think WharsApp, Line, Viber, FaceTime etc. will be FOC any more!

Like I've said, enuf said. This is an uncontrollable irritant for all end-users.

Let's just sit back, relax and watch the show ... and let the battle of ISPs and OTT providers begin!

• Praise 1

Time to avoid singtel.
the dumbass woman doesn't seem to understand how the internet works.
might as well start charging for email too....

I boycott them for quite sometime due to one reason, accidental use of their data when I didn't subscribe to it and they charge me over 300 bucks for it, refuse to waive a single cent...

They are the one that lower the data limit from 12GB to current 2GB or 4GB and now wanna charge again. I will never subscribe to any Singtel services or even buy their shares!

• Praise 2

User pay for bandwidth already

No?

Can't praise you now bro, fully agree, we already pay for our data dude! And you charge us for additional data after we used up the band width, so whats there to charge for whatsapp or line or whatever is out there?

Might as well charge for emails too, every single letter also charge.....

SMS can only max use up 160 characters, and can't sent icons....

For all out there, if you use SMS often, Starhub have a plan with unlimited outgoing call, unlimited sms. Data cap is quite low though, go check it out.

• Praise 1

[laugh] They may come up with e-stamps very soon. Every email you sent, must buy and attach stamp with value depending on kilo bytes.

Can't praise you now bro, fully agree, we already pay for our data dude! And you charge us for additional data after we used up the band width, so whats there to charge for whatsapp or line or whatever is out there?

Might as well charge for emails too, every single letter also charge.....

SMS can only max use up 160 characters, and can't sent icons....

For all out there, if you use SMS often, Starhub have a plan with unlimited outgoing call, unlimited sms. Data cap is quite low though, go check it out.

• Praise 1

[laugh] They may come up with e-stamps very soon. Every email you sent, must buy and attach stamp with value depending on kilo bytes.

Wah, your idea later kena taken into consideration....... [sweatdrop][laugh]

Die loh... Like that we better start buying pigeons and send messages tied to pigeon's legs.

Massive step back for civilization when that happens.

• Praise 1

Agree. Enuf said.

Let the ISPs block the OTT Apps - we cannot control that.

That's outside our end-user agreement with the ISP.

If SingTel and all the other ISPs in the world were to JOINTLY tell WhatsApp and other OTTs to pay for physical network usage, or go build your own network grid, they can too, if no deal could be cut.

Then see how WhatsApp reacts. They could either choose to pay the demanded throughputting fee TO each ISP, or stop operating, or build their own physical network (this last one is unlikely, as that deviates from the raison d'être of what internet is all about).

But whichever way, I don't think WharsApp, Line, Viber, FaceTime etc. will be FOC any more!

Like I've said, enuf said. This is an uncontrollable irritant for all end-users.

Let's just sit back, relax and watch the show ... and let the battle of ISPs and OTT providers begin!

using the same logic, should singtel charge google because I use their infrastructure to access google search ? should singtel charge SPH because I use their infrastructure to access MCF ?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

and e-glue will be on the way too. [laugh]

• Praise 1