Kia 7 Speed DCT

Razer_Blaze

Kia has announced their 7 Speed DCT will be launched in 2015.

It will be interesting to see how it will perform on the Koup with 1.6 Turbo.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/273297/kia-to-launch-new-seven-speed-dual-clutch-automatic-in-2015/

Kia will introduce a new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission to its passenger vehicle range from 

The new transmission will replace the six-speed auto that is currently available across most models in the car maker’s line-up.

The new seven-speed DCT is understood to have been designed primarily for higher-power engines and larger vehicles, though is believed to be versatile enough to fit a broad range vehicle sizes, potentially from the Kia Rio city car (pictured below) to the Grand Carnival people-mover.

Kia says its engineers have targeted a seven per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and a five per cent improvement in 0-100km/h acceleration ability from the seven-speed dual-clutch compared with the brand’s existing six-speed dual-clutch unit.

Using two dry clutches equipped with an electric motor-driven clutch actuator and a pair of gear input shafts, Kia promises faster shift times than those achieved by conventional manual and automatic gearboxes, and the ability to shift sequentially or jump instantaneously to any forward gear based on the driver’s requirements.

Kia says the near-continuous power delivery offered by the seven-speed unit minimises the loss of torque during gearshifts, promising a smoother drive across all conditions. An external damper has also been integrated in the pursuit of enhanced NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) refinement.

The car maker claims the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission will deliver greater fuel efficiency and a sportier driving experience than any gearbox ever fitted to a Kia.

It’s not yet clear which model will be the first to offer the seven-speed unit. Kia Australia public relations general manager Kevin Hepworth says the transmission is definitely headed our way and is a chance to reach local showrooms next year, though admitted the timing of its introduction will be dictated by the arrival of new and updated models.
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Using two dry clutches equipped with an electric motor-driven clutch actuator and a pair of gear input shafts, Kia promises faster shift times than those achieved by conventional manual and automatic gearboxes, and the ability to shift sequentially or jump instantaneously to any forward gear based on the drivers requirements.

Above is very worrying. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] Hope Asian city export continue with 6AT.

Well, at least you can't accuse the Koreans for not trying, it's encouraging to see them embracing modern technology like turbocharged engines and dual clutches. Hope they manage to pull it off successfully.

(edited)

Well, at least you can't accuse the Koreans for not trying, it's encouraging to see them embracing modern technology like turbocharged engines and dual clutches. Hope they manage to pull it off successfully.

They are giving it all they got, they are taking on the big players like BMW. Hope they can pull it off too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-25/hyundai-looks-to-genesis-sedan-to-challenge-bmw-in-europe.html

Edited by Razer_Blaze

But on the article it states dry clutch... If I'm not wrong, I think VW is having problems with their dry DCT right?

Supersonic

Excerpts from a V forum .

http://www.veloster.org/forum/9-hyundai-veloster-engine-transmission/6431-huge-problems-my-v-dct.html

HUGE problems with my V! DCT

Hey guys! First: This pertains to a 2012 DCT Tranny

So I just need some input on some problems I'm having with my V, my dealership has been terrible at diagnosing my problems (You have no problem!). Here is what I've gone through, and if anyone else has had these problems, please let me know, because I'm freaking out right now!

So.. it starts off about a month ago; About a week after I PCS'd to my new base (I'm in the Air Force), I was driving home from work at about 30MPH when my car shuttered suddenly. No gear shifting, no acceleration, just a steady 30MPH. It was almost the feeling you get when you run out of fuel. I ignored this as a glitch, wrote it off for the next month until yesterday:

Wife and I are driving home from dinner going about 55-60MPH, and my V started the same shutter/hesitation. Didn't think anything of it until it happend again 30 seconds later, and happened one more time after that. Decided I would take the V into the dealership today, so I drove wife's car (boo!) to work. She decided that she would run to the commissary for some grub, and on the way back the V did the same shutter/hesitation. She freaked out and went immediately home. While she was pulling into the driveway, the V stalled/shut off completely. Electrically still on, but the engine cut out.

I picked the car up to bring to the shop, and on the way the car stalled in the middle of the road (which I assumed is the same stall that happened to her in the driveway).

I get to the dealership, they plug in the error code reader, and nothing pops. They tell me it's a glitch, and nothing to worry about, which I know is BS, BS, BS. The car reported no error, but that doesn't mean something is not wrong. They sent me packing.

I have a new call in with the service manager, and I need to see if anyone else has had these problems so maybe I can narrow this down and get my poor sick V repaired.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, but I really appreciate it!

TL;DR: Veloster feels like it's running out of gas when driving, has stalled a couple times in the middle of the road. Dealership read nothing with error reader, I know they're wrong, and I need help.

↡ Advertisement