YR2008/2009 ... XC90 or 523iXL or GS300?

Oneguy

looking at YR2008/2009 cars ... based on average dealer prices at sgcarmart ... would you go for

YR2008/2009 Volvo XC90 depreciation about $17,XXX yearly

YR2008/2009 BMW 523iXL depreciation about $15,XXX yearly

YR2008/2009 Lexus GS300 depreciation about $16,XXX yearly

(yes GS300 not conti car but just for the sake ok?)

considering these are 5-6 years old cars, running cost and maintenance will be the main consider other than depreciation

many thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

For peace of mind ........ GS300 ... cannot go wrong with Toyota

For pleasure ..... BMW ...... but Bring More Worries

Volvo ....... No interest at all

Just my opinions

(edited)

What do you need from your car? For ferrying kids to school, etc. I would get XC90.

Edited by Cznoob

(edited)

looking at YR2008/2009 cars ... based on average dealer prices at sgcarmart ... would you go for

YR2008/2009 Volvo XC90 depreciation about $17,XXX yearly

YR2008/2009 BMW 523iXL depreciation about $15,XXX yearly

YR2008/2009 Lexus GS300 depreciation about $16,XXX yearly

(yes GS300 not conti car but just for the sake ok?)

considering these are 5-6 years old cars, running cost and maintenance will be the main consider other than depreciation

many thanks in advance!

Don't buy XC90, very bad FC, 5km/l only,

my friend owns one 2009 version, thinking to change to forester xt

Edited by Quantum

i would agree that it might not be a fair comparison as one is a 7 seater SUV and the others are sedans but these choices were provided to me by my co-driver :P

my only consideration for these are the running maintenance costs. its easy to justify the once-off purchase price etc. but with running costs, one just don't know what it will be like.

that seems to lean me towards the GS300 but would like to hear from the rest, are the BMWs and XC90 really notorious in maintenance/running costs?

i have never owned a conti so there is no reference for me but i have had my fair share of korean and japanese makes.

(edited)

i would agree that it might not be a fair comparison as one is a 7 seater SUV and the others are sedans but these choices were provided to me by my co-driver :P

my only consideration for these are the running maintenance costs. its easy to justify the once-off purchase price etc. but with running costs, one just don't know what it will be like.

that seems to lean me towards the GS300 but would like to hear from the rest, are the BMWs and XC90 really notorious in maintenance/running costs?

i have never owned a conti so there is no reference for me but i have had my fair share of korean and japanese makes.

High or low costs, its all relative. For you coming from a Korean and Jap bread and butter car experience, a BMW or Volvo SUV maintenance and running costs may drive you nuts. For people like throttle2, it is sup sup water. So it is all relative.

For example, in the Audi forum i read about this customer who went to the AD and bang table and shout loudly about repair and maintenance costs. Another gentlemen customer went up to this irate guy and told him "If you cannot afford to drive Audi, please change to another car." Simple as that!

Edited by Viceroymenthol
  • Praise 1

High or low costs, its all relative. For you coming from a Korean and Jap bread and butter car experience, a BMW or Volvo SUV maintenance and running costs may drive you nuts. For people like throttle2, it is sup sup water. So it is all relative.

For example, in the Audi forum i read about this customer who went to the AD and bang table and shout loudly about repair and maintenance costs. Another gentlemen customer went up to this irate guy and told him "If you cannot afford to drive Audi, please change to another car." Simple as that!

whoa - bang table is not something that i would do lah. that's really extreme.

i fully understand the maintenance costs of a conti especially one that is 5-6 years old.

honestly, i quite prepared to carry out some servicing, change engine mounts, change tyres, change battery etc. let the car go into the AD workshop and spend some time there ... but thereafter, i'm really a sucker for reliability i.e. every morning happily go to the car and crank, it starts and off we go. that's the car that i am looking for. not something that will upset my morning and spending unscheduled time at the workshop.

so that said ... i guess in terms of reliability and that requirement being paramount, would i be correct to say that i shouldn't be looking at a pre-own pre-loved 5-6 years old conti?

honestly, i quite prepared to carry out some servicing, change engine mounts, change tyres, change battery etc. let the car go into the AD workshop and spend some time there ... but thereafter, i'm really a sucker for reliability i.e. every morning happily go to the car and crank, it starts and off we go. that's the car that i am looking for. not something that will upset my morning and spending unscheduled time at the workshop.

That line already answered the question you're asking.

i fully understand the maintenance costs of a conti especially one that is 5-6 years old.

so that said ... i guess in terms of reliability and that requirement being paramount, would i be correct to say that i shouldn't be looking at a pre-own pre-loved 5-6 years old conti?

If reliability is your top priority, go for GS300,

BMW only can hassle free 1st years,

XC90 is heavy SUV +fuel drinker, should not be good option for you

That line already answered the question you're asking.

I've never had issues with cranking up in the morning for Audi, BMW and Merc.

That is of course if battery is replaced regularly (strictly 2 years), and ignition coils are in order but that goes for all cars.

You can consider 5-6 year old conti but you must have an interest in getting to know your car well, its little quirks, etc. you must be interested enough to google and know what exactly is going on with your car and be willing to bring it to the workshop (avoid AD) and talk to the mechanics. It's a lot of TLC.

Mustn't stinge on parts replacement. For BMW parts you can get yourself and ask the workshop to install for you (pay a slight premium for using own parts). You will be surprised at the cost difference versus going to the AD. Like I said, know your car well.

Also, please do not hiam this and that. Cos face it, a BMW is never going to drive and sound like a Lexus, it is more involving and less cushy. You have to be totally okay with things like noise, rattling, firm ride, in addition to slight cosmetic wear, body and interior plastic and rubber parts giving way especially if you park under the sun regularly, leaks here and there (rubber seal and gasket problems - can be easily solved and replaced), pads and discs wearing out quickly (this is a standard feature of conti cars), engine mounts, tranny mounts, suspension mounts, steering control arm rubber bushings, etc

Most importantly the chassis must be straight enough to pass the STA sensor check, means no serious accident before. Tranny must be ok working condition. Anything else, you can handle without spending a bomb.

• Praise 2

whoa - thank you for the replies ... especially Viceroymenthol .. your detailed post makes a lot of sense and is good reading.

its probably true that i do not know how to manage and appreciate a conti. for me, cars so far must serve the essential purpose of being there and available when required. that is my basic requirement. i am definitely not the one that like to hang around workshops (AD or otherwise) and speak to the mechanics. neither am i the kind of owner that would "bling" or "upgrade" or "up-mod" the car. for me, there is a reason why "stock is good" ... lol ... i know alot of people would disgree

i guess that being said, the poll winner is quite clear ... GS300 :D

... now, should i continue using this thread or creating a new one? heck, i'll just continue with this one.

if you notice, i stated down the yearly depreciation in the first post for the various models concerned, these are essentially my calculations taking the advertised rate on SGCARMART, less PARF return on the 10th year and then divide by the number of months remaining and then multiple it by 12 to get the yearly depreciation. this of course does not take into consideration the "body cost" of the car when it is time to scrap.

would this be the way that you guys calculate depreciation?

kind of tiring to look at SGCARMART ads, taking down all the details and numbers and then keying them into the spreadsheet and figuring out which car has a lower depreciation. anyone has a better alternative/calculation method?
↡ Advertisement