MY Lost Right To Review Water Price

Picnic06-Biante15

yahoo report : Malaysia has lost right to review water price, says Singapore Minister – Bernama

When Malaysia decided not to review the water price under the Water Agreement in 1987, it lost its right to review the price, says Singapore Minister for Foreign Affairs K. Shanmugam.

"Singapore’s position is that Malaysia has lost its right to review the water price. The Water Agreement provided for the review after 25 years. Specifically, there was a right to review the price of water jointly in 1987.

"However, Malaysia consciously chose not to review the price. It had good reasons for this," he said this in reply to a Parliamentary question today.

Ellen Lee of Sembawang GRC, had asked the minister whether Malaysia had the right to review the price of raw water sold to Singapore under the bilateral water agreement at any time before its expiry in 2061.

Shanmugam said Singapore had stated its position on the issue and also conveyed it officially to the Malaysian Government on several occasions.

"Our position on this issue is well-known to Malaysia. We have stated this publicly, and also conveyed it to the Malaysian Government, including at the highest levels. The Malaysian Government understands the position," he said.

He quoted Malaysia's Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman as saying on February 17, this year:

“An agreement is an agreement. When there is an agreement, we will honour the agreement.

"If there is any need for review, we will forward it and if their response is positive, we will start talking."

Shanmugam said that had Malaysia exercised the right to review the water price in 1987, Singapore might then have made different investment decisions to develop the Johor River, for instance the Linggiu Dam project of 1990.

In the event, he said Malaysia chose not to review the water price in 1987, and
on that basis, Singapore then took several actions, which also benefitted Malaysia.

He said this included building the Linggiu Dam at a cost of over S$300 million (RM773 million),
which increased the yield of the Johor River and enabled both Johor and Singapore to draw water from it during the dry season.

Indeed, neither party can unilaterally change any of the terms of the 1962 Water Agreement.

Shanmugam said Malaysia benefitted greatly from the current pricing arrangement.

"We enjoy good relations with Malaysia at all levels. We will continue to work to enhance our cooperation and friendship with Malaysia, in order to benefit both our peoples," he added. – Bernama, March 6, 2014.

link: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/malaysia-lost-review-water-price-says-singapore-minister-161152546.html

We build a S$300 million dam for MY ... [sweatdrop]

I didn't know that. [grin]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Gibe other people can, own people cannot, just like the schoolerships. Cannot spoil own kids mah. You don't gibe many sweets to your own children right? If not, eat too many, boh gay hor. But, when you want to fren fren with other kids, you gibe them many many sweets swwets....

Neither did I.

wow... and our G keep saying they got no money to give us welfare.

cos of stuff like these lah~! [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 7

Supercharged

Gibe other people can, own people cannot, just like the schoolerships. Cannot spoil own kids mah. You don't gibe many sweets to your own children right? If not, eat too many, boh gay hor. But, when you want to fren fren with other kids, you gibe them many many sweets swwets....

ran out of points to praise you. [laugh]

sad part is, gibe sweets many many to other kids. when they boh gay... still gibe them free treatment to dentist hor~! [laugh]

Neither did I.

wow... and our G keep saying they got no money to give us welfare.

cos of stuff like these lah~! [laugh]

Comm'on.. this is to ensure we have essential..WATER leh..

300mil is good spending.. but i wont concur for the latest transport spending..

• Praise 4

When Malaysia decided not to review the water price under the Water Agreement in 1987, it lost its right to review the price, says Singapore Minister for Foreign Affairs K. Shanmugam.

"Singapore’s position is that Malaysia has lost its right to review the water price. The Water Agreement provided for the review after 25 years. Specifically, there was a right to review the price of water jointly in 1987.

Somehow I feel that our Minister is too arrogant to make such a statement considering that the water is from Malaysia and Malaysia is a much bigger country than ours.

While we might be right from a legal standpoint, it would do good if he were to be more humble when making such statements.

I like this saying that I have heard somewhere.

"Legal niceties might be nice but ultimately, winner takes all. Whoever wins makes/ changes the rules."

Supercharged

I see the irony of it. I hope you do too. [laugh]

we buy something from people, WE have to build the infrastructure for them to provide that good to us. [laugh]

maciam like, i want to buy sports rims and UHP tires from you, but i got to provide you the machines to rotate and balance the wheels, the workspace for you to install the rig to lift my car up to fix the wheels, then i can get the rims and tyres from you.

where is the logic?

if you want to sell me somthing, it is YOUR perogative to have the necessary tools to provide the goods AND the services. no? [confused]

Somehow I feel that our Minister is too arrogant to make such a statement considering that the water is from Malaysia and Malaysia is a much bigger country than ours.

While we might be right from a legal standpoint, it would do good if he were to be more humble when making such statements.

"Legal niceties might be nice but ultimately, winner takes all. Whoever wins makes/ changes the rules."

[laugh] i almost choke on the kopi i was drinking when i read this! [laugh]

Supercharged

we buy something from people, WE have to build the infrastructure for them to provide that good to us. [laugh]

maciam like, i want to buy sports rims and UHP tires from you, but i got to provide you the machines to rotate and balance the wheels, the workspace for you to install the rig to lift my car up to fix the wheels, then i can get the rims and tyres from you.

where is the logic?

if you want to sell me somthing, it is YOUR perogative to have the necessary tools to provide the goods AND the services. no? [confused]

yes lah.... but you must see who we are dealing with mah...

where is the logic?

i hope you realise at 1987..the marina barrage is not complete yet.. Newater has not started yet..

Basically, we could only hope these 2 project will be a success and how much water they could contribute is unknown.

We really got no choice but to spend the money.. I hope you understand.

neither did i know we still control some water treatment plant in johor... woah...

yes we do.. my friend is working there...

where is the logic?

looking at a broader term... it may be part of a 100yr contract for a precious commodity that up till now singapore is still not able to be self sufficient.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Although i also find that statement ok... but we must undertsand 2061 is not very far away.. although most of us no eyes see already but as many like to say "we must think of our next generation"... so better not start a war if not no water...

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Although i also find that statement ok... but we must undertsand 2061 is not very far away.. although most of us no eyes see already but as many like to say "we must think of our next generation"... so better not start a war if not no water...

mabbe i wasn't clear [:p]

when have any of our MIW ever been humble when dishing out their views? [laugh]

Supercharged
(edited)

not only that hor... still gave a one time rm320mil compensation to them... the deal is a total of 1bil... but i agree this money is well spent...

Edited by Xers007

2nd tat... very poor choice of words.... provocative in fact ....

Rephrasing it, all agreements are just papers... when chips are down... no agreements will be honored unless something to gain

The very fact remains tat we will close shop (amid slower) once they turn off the tap... so its just dumb to issue statements like this

• Praise 3

he is a lawyer, every negotiation is black and white.

when have any of our MIW ever been humble when dishing out their views? [laugh]

And that could be why the MIWs always feel they are very smart [scholar] here but appear out of depth/ or unable to solve anything when dealing with other countries.... [dizzy]

• Praise 2

Our northern friends are known to prata prata once a while... so i asume his statements also serve as a reminder.

↡ Advertisement