All New 2014 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class (Baby SUV)

SeriousGuy

Supercharged

I exercise (albeit not enough)and neither drink nor smoke and yet I have a belly! What went wrong?? lol!!

wrong technique .. I can train you.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

I thought V40 is a station wagon? No?

I think nowadays cars not so easy to categorise anymore. A lot of new sub-niche/hybrids/crossovers popping out. One thing is SUVs need to be quite high so the V40 doesn't look high enough to be an SUV but it is also too sporty to be an stationwagon/MPV so I guess it's a hybrid/crossover. Something like Citreon DS4 I think? And VW had a Polo Crossover too which had some design elements of an SUV. And mini cooper also had a crossover (can't remember the name, always get mixed up).

Supercharged

VW had a Polo Crossover too which had some design elements of an SUV.

aptly named: CrossPolo

Volkswagen-Cross-Polo.jpg

(edited)

I think nowadays cars not so easy to categorise anymore. A lot of new sub-niche/hybrids/crossovers popping out. One thing is SUVs need to be quite high so the V40 doesn't look high enough to be an SUV but it is also too sporty to be an stationwagon/MPV so I guess it's a hybrid/crossover. Something like Citreon DS4 I think? And VW had a Polo Crossover too which had some design elements of an SUV. And mini cooper also had a crossover (can't remember the name, always get mixed up).

V40 is definitely not a SUV by all accounts .... it was never launched as a SUV but a 5 Door hatch.

To further confuse consumers, there is a V40 Cross Country.

The Mini Crossover is the "Countryman"

Edited by Civic6228

RadX, how's it going man! :) And the wifey is fine too?

As for the GLA, here are my impressions:

1. Small & low! I actually thought it would be bigger and higher

2. Seating arrangement is good. Can fit 6 footers in both front & rear seats comfortably

3. Headroom is a bit low where the A pillar meets the roof. I am 6ft tall so I had to adjust the height of the seat to the lowest to fill comfy

Again, do not be fooled by the red GLA200 on display. 25-30k options on it:

1. AMG inspired bodykit

2. Command system

3. Panoramic moonroof

4. Roof racks

5. Black headliner

6. Full leather seats with piping

For a real presentation of the standard equipment on the GLA, you should look at the silver (or was it white) GLA250 at the back of the showroom.

AMGs will of course be better optioned, and definitely the price range will be around the 300k range.

Am trying to arrange for a test drive of the 200 or the 250 this weekend and see how it drives.

Wife is scratching her head why am I thinking of swapping from a convertible to a SUV when we already have an Evoque in the garage...

I think I kenna "black magic" from the GLA! :)

Supersonic

Wife is scratching her head why am I thinking of swapping from a convertible to a SUV when we already have an Evoque in the garage...

u got an evogue and u wanna get the GLA?? i tink everyone is scratching their heads on this one......... [hur]

u got an evogue and u wanna get the GLA?? i tink everyone is scratching their heads on this one......... [hur]

Like the GLA45 AMG more than the Evoque though.

Still got a few months to ponder over when the AMG gets launched in the 3rd to 4th quarter of the year and 1st AMG cars to be on the road in 1st quarter 2015.

See if anything else pops up by then...

Supersonic

Like the GLA45 AMG more than the Evoque though.

Still got a few months to ponder over when the AMG gets launched in the 3rd to 4th quarter of the year and 1st AMG cars to be on the road in 1st quarter 2015.

See if anything else pops up by then...

Q3 RS?

V40 is definitely not a SUV by all accounts .... it was never launched as a SUV but a 5 Door hatch.

To further confuse consumers, there is a V40 Cross Country.

The Mini Crossover is the "Countryman"

which is a bit strange. it is not a SUV and yet not a wagon. but if it is a hatch, then they already have C30. :blink::blink:

Q3 RS?

Nah, will stay away from Audi.

Having bad experiences with the family's S5 coupe at the moment. In and out of workshops umpteen times, leaking issues, mysterious engine checklight, gear slippage, etc etc... Headache. "Donated" to workshop now to discover and fix the issue. Don't want the car back till the problems are solved.

And back to the Q3 RS, it looks... bulbous... *eek*

RadX, how's it going man! :) And the wifey is fine too?

As for the GLA, here are my impressions:

1. Small & low! I actually thought it would be bigger and higher

2. Seating arrangement is good. Can fit 6 footers in both front & rear seats comfortably

3. Headroom is a bit low where the A pillar meets the roof. I am 6ft tall so I had to adjust the height of the seat to the lowest to fill comfy

Hi

Your opinion please. Backseat can fit 3 pax comfortably?

TIA

• Praise 1

Hi

Your opinion please. Backseat can fit 3 pax comfortably?

TIA

What we did was that we moved the front 2 seats to fit my wife & I comfortably and then went and sat at the back.

Personally, I feel that the back seats are nice and roomy but to fit 3 at the back, it can be slightly squeezy due to the transmission tunnel in the centre.

Btw, I am 6ft (70 kg) and my wife is 5ft 8" (4X kg). *Can't mention my wife's weight... sure die one* [lipsrsealed]

In terms of size, the GLA seems to fall into the compact SUV class, competing directly with the BMW X1. [drivingcar]

Cheerio!

• Praise 1

What we did was that we moved the front 2 seats to fit my wife & I comfortably and then went and sat at the back.

Personally, I feel that the back seats are nice and roomy but to fit 3 at the back, it can be slightly squeezy due to the transmission tunnel in the centre.

Btw, I am 6ft (70 kg) and my wife is 5ft 8" (4X kg). *Can't mention my wife's weight... sure die one* [lipsrsealed]

In terms of size, the GLA seems to fall into the compact SUV class, competing directly with the BMW X1. [drivingcar]

Cheerio!

Thks for the tipper bro.

Have to say your wife is pretty impressive (4X kg & 5ft 8") [thumbsup]

I like this model but my wife prefers the B class. Then again, we may settle for the harrier.

Thks for the tipper bro.

Have to say your wife is pretty impressive (4X kg & 5ft 8") [thumbsup]

I like this model but my wife prefers the B class. Then again, we may settle for the harrier.

When she wears her heels, will be same height as me!!

I also do like this GLA because I always wanted a small SUV! :wub: And I can put all my work tools in the boot!

And yes, my wife isn't too happy with my choice too because she wanted the Jag F-Type Convertible. LIKE I WILL LISTEN TO HER!! [laugh]

The review of this car in the ST today seems to suggest this car scores low on driveability.

Having tried the A class and B class which have the same platform and engine, I totally agree with the review. The new small Mercs are pretty nasty to drive and I have said this here several times before. The BMW 1 Series and Audi A3 are far superior. I think even the Volvo V40 is a much better car. The Mercs sell solely on the badge. Want a Merc, please stick to the C-class and above.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1