Josephine Teo: GIC, Temasek won't take more risks

I don't think the following points are going to be popular, but here goes anyway:

-     If GIC/Temasek can make more returns, I am sure they will like to as well. But unless there is underhanded manipulation (and not say want to do means can do), returns are at most an educated guess. No guarantee, no matter what investment you do.

-     I am not saying they are not paid well, but if you think you can do a better job, by all means apply for the position in Temasek to prove it and get that good pay. Otherwise, it is just about wanting the pay but not wanting the responsibilities that come with it.

* I don't work for GIC/Temasek.

Yup agreed.

↡ Advertisement

agree w @celicar on this and the market itself is in doldrums so worldwide we are also seeing this.  Not easy for SWFs everywhere

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

The company estimated that a portfolio comprising 65 per cent US stocks and 35 per cent US bonds is expected to generate real returns of 1 to 2 per cent over the next 10 years, well below the historical average of 5.2 per cent.

=====

Wah , 1 -2% over next 10 yrs! CPF will have to cut their interest rate to match these 1-2%; even tho CPF & GIC have no relationship in anyway. Anw, GIC got audit or not?  

i bold for you

still think it is easy to achieve?

:D

Twincharged

I don't think the following points are going to be popular, but here goes anyway:

- If GIC/Temasek can make more returns, I am sure they will like to as well. But unless there is underhanded manipulation (and not say want to do means can do), returns are at most an educated guess. No guarantee, no matter what investment you do.

- I am not saying they are not paid well, but if you think you can do a better job, by all means apply for the position in Temasek to prove it and get that good pay. Otherwise, it is just about wanting the pay but not wanting the responsibilities that come with it.

It's true

I am hoping to join maybe GIC in a few years time, to prove that I deserve that kinda pay

haha, can 

only if your surname is Lee hor

according to people working/ worked there

10 mths average

those who outperform even more.. i won't know cos my friends are just happy to be average there  [laugh]

so 35 yr old VP, conservatively $12k salary.. means bonus $120K  [thumbsup]

i think depends on role lah.

i doubt everyone get 10 months. probably just the front office chaps.

back office probably the usual 2-3 months

Twincharged

agree w @celicar on this and the market itself is in doldrums so worldwide we are also seeing this. Not easy for SWFs everywhere

That is true in general but I have also worked with former temasek ppl and they were kinda disappointing

i think depends on role lah.

i doubt everyone get 10 months. probably just the front office chaps.

back office probably the usual 2-3 months

Hmm.. One of my friends who shared this with me also backend leh

So funny/ coincidental

Someone from GIC enquiring if I got any job lobang... Maybe I Shld kaypoh as ask him out for drink to find out why he wanna jump ship

-     If GIC/Temasek can make more returns, I am sure they will like to as well. But unless there is underhanded manipulation (and not say want to do means can do), returns are at most an educated guess. No guarantee, no matter what investment you do.

-     I am not saying they are not paid well, but if you think you can do a better job, by all means apply for the position in Temasek to prove it and get that good pay. Otherwise, it is just about wanting the pay but not wanting the responsibilities that come with it.

I agree with your very diplomatic statement ...

But how do they take responsibility for their investments made? ...

I'm just a plain citizen trying to understand ...

Do they get these pay outs or bonuses regardless good times or bad? ... 

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Best SGD FD now is about 1.8% for 2 years. So nope.

It's very tough for pension funds and big funds like temasek and GIC currently.

The 10 year yield on US treasures is 1.5% at the moment.

Germany 10 year bonds are negative yield. So are Japs.

So the safest part of their portfolio is essentially definitely below inflation and below real returns.

PS - missed out the word "real returns".

Turbocharged

I agree with your very diplomatic statement ...

But how do they take responsibility for their investments made? ...

I'm just a plain citizen trying to understand ...

Do they get these pay outs or bonuses regardless good times or bad? ... 

I am sure they have KPIs. How strictly they are measured against their KPIs I don't know, but I would think there are responsibilities that come with the job. Again back to my statement that if anyone thinks that the responsibilities that come with a given pay is minimal and can be easily met, then by all means apply for that job and show why he/she is best qualified to take on those responsibilities for that pay.

Looking at 1MDB, I am glad we are light years ahead. It will really be the end of Singapore and Singaporeans if we wake up one day to find that GIC/Temasek: 

-    is heavily in debt;

-    have funds that have flown out and nowhere to be found;

-    person at the helm, who is supposedly ultimately responsible, saying that he/she have no clue where the money went and if they were illegally or improperly taken out, it has nothing to do with him/her.

Turbocharged

haha, can

only if your surname is Lee hor

according to people working/ worked there

10 mths average

those who outperform even more.. i won't know cos my friends are just happy to be average there [laugh]

so 35 yr old VP, conservatively $12k salary.. means bonus $120K [thumbsup]

The VP salary is probably 8 to 10k

Turbocharged

The company estimated that a portfolio comprising 65 per cent US stocks and 35 per cent US bonds is expected to generate real returns of 1 to 2 per cent over the next 10 years, well below the historical average of 5.2 per cent.

=====

Wah , 1 -2% over next 10 yrs! CPF will have to cut their interest rate to match these 1-2%; even tho CPF & GIC have no relationship in anyway. Anw, GIC got audit or not?  

u chup siao so much for wat? 70% of singaporeans happy can leow [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

The VP salary is probably 8 to 10k

pui.. this one is glorified title ah?

our table wiper anytime make multiple folds [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

I am sure they have KPIs. How strictly they are measured against their KPIs I don't know, but I would think there are responsibilities that come with the job. Again back to my statement that if anyone thinks that the responsibilities that come with a given pay is minimal and can be easily met, then by all means apply for that job and show why he/she is best qualified to take on those responsibilities for that pay.

Looking at 1MDB, I am glad we are light years ahead. It will really be the end of Singapore and Singaporeans if we wake up one day to find that GIC/Temasek: 

-    is heavily in debt;

-    person at the helm, who is supposedly ultimately responsible, saying that he/she have no clue where the money went and if they were illegally or improperly taken out, it has nothing to do with him/her.

its already quite sad to this stage that we have to compare ourself to our neighbour 

to console ourself that we are the lucky 1 lol. :TT_TT:

• Praise 3

-    is heavily in debt;

I agree. GIC and Temasek are just like the wall street banks. You cannot perform, you are out. Same here in my bank.

some people can smoke and some really good at it. but eventually still have to go. The pressure in investment banking is very high so of course is the pay. 

I agree. GIC and Temasek are just like the wall street banks. You cannot perform, you are out. Same here in my bank.

some people can smoke and some really good at it. but eventually still have to go. The pressure in investment banking is very high so of course is the pay. 

Agreed that these guys can be easily measured and compensated accordingly.

No 2 ways about it and in the cut and thrust world of investments, reputations and past achievements don't count anymore but current earnings are the be all and end all of investments. U can be a spin doctor as sales advisors to get clients to invest with your organization but you can't spin a result which is laid bare for all to see!

• Praise 5

Just disclose year on year la.

I wanna know how much of our money they lost or gained. No need to obfuscate with 20 year average just because they claim to invest for the long term.

Every single company on the sgx also claims to be for the long term but they don't report it like this.

Just disclose year on year la.

I wanna know how much of our money they lost or gained. No need to obfuscate with 20 year average just because they claim to invest for the long term.

Every single company on the sgx also claims to be for the long term but they don't report it like this.

same concept

post-131345-0-84333900-1469693350.jpg

• Praise 9