Trade In With Used Car Dealers - Ownership Transfer Tips?

Wyfitms

Ok, so i'm quite fed up with my slow assed MPV. Need to change back to sedan.

Could some kind hearted bro offer some advice on how to avoid being taken for a ride?

I'm not worried about the mech condition of the car, but more about things like:

How to ensure they do not take weeks or months to transfer the car that i am buying ?

How to ensure that they transfer my current car to their company?

Thank you!

↡ Advertisement

Ok, so i'm quite fed up with my slow assed MPV. Need to change back to sedan.

Could some kind hearted bro offer some advice on how to avoid being taken for a ride?

I'm not worried about the mech condition of the car, but more about things like:

How to ensure they do not take weeks or months to transfer the car that i am buying ?

How to ensure that they transfer my current car to their company?

Thank you!

firstly, my contract usually states that the trade in price for the old car is the deposit for my new car and both deals are dependent on each other.

secondly, i will ask them sign and acknowledge when they take my IC and to return within 2 days.

so far so good...

firstly, my contract usually states that the trade in price for the old car is the deposit for my new car and both deals are dependent on each other.

secondly, i will ask them sign and acknowledge when they take my IC and to return within 2 days.

so far so good...

thank you

so how to ensure they

settle the outstanding loan of you old car

and transfer the new car to your name?

or is there no way to safeguard and just hope that they are honest?

thank you

so how to ensure they

settle the outstanding loan of you old car

and transfer the new car to your name?

or is there no way to safeguard and just hope that they are honest?

if you know when they are going down, you can call your finance company on that day to see if anyone had arrange full settlement for your car.

for the transfer, ask them notify you once it is done then you go onemotoring and check...

but if you want to die die ensure everything goes well... follow them to bank to settle your o/s then follow them to LTA to do the transfer.... this is the safest way

• Praise 1

if you know when they are going down, you can call your finance company on that day to see if anyone had arrange full settlement for your car.

for the transfer, ask them notify you once it is done then you go onemotoring and check...

but if you want to die die ensure everything goes well... follow them to bank to settle your o/s then follow them to LTA to do the transfer.... this is the safest way

so what can i use as leverage or ransom to ensure they are motivated to quickly settle my old car transfer?

so what can i use as leverage or ransom to ensure they are motivated to quickly settle my old car transfer?

they need your ic to do both transfers.... pass them your ic and tell them to get it settled in 2 days if not, deal is off and ic to be returned.... you can write in contract or a letter when you pass them the nric...

in this transcation... consumer at losing end actually

they need your ic to do both transfers.... pass them your ic and tell them to get it settled in 2 days if not, deal is off and ic to be returned.... you can write in contract or a letter when you pass them the nric...

yeah, at their mercy

thank bro

I arranged to meet the dealer on a saturday morning at LTA office in Sin Ming to do the transfer of vehicle ownership together.

I'm not comfortable to hand over my IC to the dealer for them to do the transfer on my behalf.

Never know what they will do with my IC....

So, meeting them @ LTA to do the transfer together is the safest [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

never give IC to 'dubious' dealer

take 1-2 days leave and settle it ... full settlement and transfer of ownership [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know

never give IC to 'dubious' dealer

take 1-2 days leave and settle it ... full settlement and transfer of ownership [thumbsup]

so far my experience with previous dealers was ok.. guess i could be fortunate

this time i should follow them around and settle things on the spot

yeah ... until you meet 1 fk-up dealer ... all hell break lose ....

don't risk it ... spoil your day, your mood and your car

so far my experience with previous dealers was ok.. guess i could be fortunate

this time i should follow them around and settle things on the spot

Edited by Wt_know

you may apply for your own transaction pin from LTA, only when they settled your finance then you give them the transaction pin.

pay them in cashier's order and asked them to transfer on the spot. if they are unable to do so then find another dealer.

pay a minimum deposit of a few hundreds.

Yes, you are able to get the pin from LTA yourself.

Once they had done the finance for your car, the give them the PIN.

This is what i done during my last purchase of car too.

Never trust dealer with your IC.

I bought a car from a used car dearler 2 months ago, till now I found the cas ownership not yet transferred under my name, I had paid all full payment included transfer fee, admin fee,car price & insurance fee etc. I had made many enquiries to this car dealer but they just keep on delay by all kind of pretexts, I am frantic now ! What shud I do? report police ? or Case ? any legal Dept can help?

Ths dear Name : Cars Todays Pte Ltd

I bought a car from a used car dearler 2 months ago, till now I found the cas ownership not yet transferred under my name, I had paid all full payment included transfer fee, admin fee,car price & insurance fee etc. I had made many enquiries to this car dealer but they just keep on delay by all kind of pretexts, I am frantic now ! What shud I do? report police ? or Case ? any legal Dept can help?

Ths dear Name : Cars Todays Pte Ltd

Go to the police and case. If they run road now, the car will be returned to its owner.

Dealers with bad intent will do such funny thing . eg, "owner" wants to pay for car in cash, dealer wants "owner" to get minimal loan to delay transfer as loan needs approval. Owner takes car and drives away, the loan need few days to approve, dealer ran road in the interim. Police came and said the car you bought not in your name. Confiscate car and returned to legal owner.

Someone were in your shoes in 2013. Try to ask him for update.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2649561-beware-of-2nd-hand-car-dealers-blacklist-here/page-98

• Praise 1

Yes, make it clear to them also that this is the only way you will settle on the handover date.

Never give your ic to them. Go with them and do together with them. Once they get hold on your ic, you r at risk.

• Praise 1

Digging up an old thread.

As recently LTA changed the rules of transferring car to online and not over the counter at Sin Ming Drive i.e no need to get a PIN and sign some forms.

Dealing with the car dealers will be still seamless.... get insurance, downpayment, get a loan (if any) and transfer via SINGPASS.

So my question is: if you are buying from a direct seller, how do you ensure that he or she transfer to you after you've paid up? Especially when they have an outstanding loan and he/ she needs your funds to clear it?

Anyone had this scenario before?

Appreciate all advice.

↡ Advertisement