Why Orchard Rd always heavy traffic?

Sozo

I just briefly did a search n to my surprise there are at least 20 over bus services on Orchard road.

Let's say 1 bus = to 3.5 cars length, so at anytime if there are 4 bus in 1 bus stop n there are 8 bus stop along Orchard road.

4(Bus) x 1(Bus stop) x 8 (Bus sop) = 32 Bus

1 Bus = 3.5 (Car) length

32 (Bus) x 3.5 = 112

Imagine, 112 cars occupying the road anytime during the day.

Above is just an example of x numbers of buses could be traveling on Orchard road day time.

My question is do we really need so many bus servicing Orchard road?

↡ Advertisement

Redundant question. We all know that buses serve not just one location. It's just so that one of the stops is at Orchard Road. It's a central location to get to other areas of sgp.

Redundant question. We all know that buses serve not just one location. It's just so that one of the stops is at Orchard Road. It's a central location to get to other areas of sgp.

So there is no solution?

I just briefly did a search n to my surprise there are at least 20 over bus services on Orchard road.

Let's say 1 bus = to 3.5 cars length, so at anytime if there are 4 bus in 1 bus stop n there are 8 bus stop along Orchard road.

4(Bus) x 1(Bus stop) x 8 (Bus sop) = 32 Bus

1 Bus = 3.5 (Car) length

32 (Bus) x 3.5 = 112

Imagine, 112 cars occupying the road anytime during the day.

Above is just an example of x numbers of buses could be traveling on Orchard road day time.

My question is do we really need so many bus servicing Orchard road?

- When buses changes 3 lanes & sometimes 4 lanes away from their whole day bus lane which in general empty, restricting many others.

- When buses filter into their bus lanes afterwards, other vehicles slowed down for them which adds to further congestion.

- When left most lane vehicles are unable to turn into minor roads as they are blocked by pedestrian.

a) slowing taking time to cross while red man is on.

b) or at junctions when there are no traffic lights, drivers giving way to them.

- Unable to turn into minor roads where carparks are full.

1 bus can carry how many passengers?

Average passengers for 1 car in orchard?

Public transport takes precedence most of the time.

Until you can eradicate the nagging reliability issues of our subway (say only 1 incident in 1 year??), buses are necessary.

We still need some redundancy or option in case one mode fails too.

(When mbt was transport minister and trying to increase productivity without failover solutions in implementing some public transport planning policies, it is only when things didn't work, then it rears its ugly head)

Supersonic

Until you can eradicate the nagging reliability issues of our subway (say only 1 incident in 1 year??), buses are necessary.

We still need some redundancy or option in case one mode fails too.

(When mbt was transport minister and trying to increase productivity without failover solutions in implementing some public transport planning policies, it is only when things didn't work, then it rears its ugly head)

1 bus carry 40, 50 people squeezed in ?

Then every bus cut in and out trying to overtake the others, but it's so jammed packed, it can hardly move ?

Maybe walking is faster than taking the bus.

exactly..buses and public transport should takes priority over private cars

So there is no solution?

there is..but the current government/LTA have no political will to implement it..IMO that is to levy a congestion charge of $20 per entry into the CBD & another $20 per exit charge out of the zone..London managed to collect £1b from the toll and the monies were used to buy more buses & provide additional trips for the buses..thus encouraging more commuters to take buses and public transport..many other cities which have congestion charge are Sao Paulo, Shanghai,Stockholm & Sydney

That's my solution too! Orchard road is too crowded and too expensive anyway.

Park there my cashcard value drop in a flash!

Moreover so many people walking, want to drive out also cannot

↡ Advertisement