In Msia VW group together to bang tables at VW Msia HQ

Glyuen

Turbocharged

Singapore VW owners all are VW supporters [:p]

Classic example of a Jetta owner here who stated his 2nd day Jetta already engine stalled but at the end of his field report still said he fall in love with his car... Obviously, what you stated was correct... Hehehe...

↡ Advertisement

I heard, VW Malaysia fly 10 German Engineers to Malaysia in the last 2 weeks to attend to all problem.

My SIL in KL, was defanding her Passat a good buy when her brother told them not to buy....

Today, she is asking why her Passat is jerking especially when slow moving....

Neutral Newbie

Hello everyone. I am new here and seeing this makes me scared.

I am about to purchase a VW Tiguan 1.4TSI High Line (2018 model) using DSG 6-speed wet clutch system.

Anyone has complaints about this model and the new (or old) gearbox? 

I am currently driving a 2012 Ford Fiesta and i am WELL AWARE of the horrors of the DRY Dual Clutch system and i even had my gearbox replaced in the first 3 months of owning that vehicle (gearbox oil leaking), and 6 months later (shudder and very bad jerking).

My warranty was extended to 7 years and 7years is almost up (just replaced my TCM, the transmission control module due to reoccuring jerking and shuddering) so i am looking to buy a new car.

The offer i got is for the Le Tour De Langkawi unit. Very good offer and i loved the tiguan. However, how does the gearbox compare? is it really improved?

Also, has  the VW after sales service in malaysia improved? Ford was good enough to acknowledge my warranty claim for gearbox (even after i overshot my service intervals from time to time.. sometimes up to 2000km). its not my fault, like most service centres, we need to book weeks in advance. My work takes me to JB often and i sometimes travel up and down JB and KL several times a week.

Perhaps this is not the suitable place to post this but I am new here and can't create new topics. AND there is no newbie welcome chat here in this sub-forum.

• Praise 1

I am about to purchase a VW Tiguan 1.4TSI High Line (2018 model) using DSG 6-speed wet clutch system.

I am currently driving a 2012 Ford Fiesta and i am WELL AWARE of the horrors of the DRY Dual Clutch system and i even had my gearbox replaced in the first 3 months of owning that vehicle (gearbox oil leaking), and 6 months later (shudder and very bad jerking).

My warranty was extended to 7 years and 7years is almost up (just replaced my TCM, the transmission control module due to reoccuring jerking and shuddering) so i am looking to buy a new car.

The offer i got is for the Le Tour De Langkawi unit. Very good offer and i loved the tiguan. However, how does the gearbox compare? is it really improved?

Also, has  the VW after sales service in malaysia improved? Ford was good enough to acknowledge my warranty claim for gearbox (even after i overshot my service intervals from time to time.. sometimes up to 2000km). its not my fault, like most service centres, we need to book weeks in advance. My work takes me to JB often and i sometimes travel up and down JB and KL several times a week.

Perhaps this is not the suitable place to post this but I am new here and can't create new topics. AND there is no newbie welcome chat here in this sub-forum.

while i never tot the dry clutch is the problem, most of the issues reported do not come from the wet set up. so it should be more worry free. 

many other brands from audi, merc, alfa use dry dual clutch. the clutch itself isn't the problem. most likely it's the electronic module. 

Supercharged

Since you are about to buy another dual-clutch car in spite of your earlier experience, can tell you are the type who is quite optimistic and care-free by nature as most other people with your experience will swear off another such car.

Since you already decided, and are looking for validation/encouragement - let me offer you some. Generally looks like there are much less visibile complains about VW DSG - although one must note their sales in SG has also plummeted from their peak thanks to general public being less forgiving than you, so the reminders are die hard fans who are less likely to complain.

Just ensure that you have the financial means to exit gracefully if really the Tiguan turns out to be another lemon.

I have no experience on using vw or ford's dual clutch transmission but IMO it's not that dry clutch is more problematic dan the wet clutch. It's more of the application.

Issue with the dry clutch is heat dissipation. It heats up and the clutch pack starts slipping in slow traffic conditions. It's not ideal to creep in slow traffic speeds or neither it's ideal to let the gearbox hold the car's position on an incline. It will overheat the clutch and cause the problems you see drivers face. Why wet clutch can absorb more heat and causes less of an issue dan the dry clutch is beyond me.

Anyway I only know dual clutch are more often use on boats. They are often cooled by seawater and has less of an overheating and slipping issue plus they do not have to creep or deal with slow traffic speeds.

I hope car makers make a fast switch back to planetary gearbox obviously the dual clutch isn't ideal when used in a car.

Edited by Watwheels

Neutral Newbie

thank you everyone for the comments.

as for wet clutch better in handling heat is simple, the lubricants in the gearbox.

And yes, most of the time it is the electronics that is at fault (for ford its the TCM, transmission control module) which I had mine changed 3 times already under warranty.

I have no experience on using vw or ford's dual clutch transmission but IMO it's not that dry clutch is more problematic dan the wet clutch. It's more of the application.

Issue with the dry clutch is heat dissipation. It heats up and the clutch pack starts slipping in slow traffic conditions. It's not ideal to creep in slow traffic speeds or neither it's ideal to let the gearbox hold the car's position on an incline. It will overheat the clutch and cause the problems you see drivers face. Why wet clutch can absorb more heat and causes less of an issue dan the dry clutch is beyond me.

Anyway I only know dual clutch are more often use on boats. They are often cooled by seawater and has less of an overheating and slipping issue plus they do not have to creep or deal with slow traffic speeds.

I hope car makers make a fast switch back to planetary gearbox obviously the dual clutch isn't ideal when used in a car.

a wet clutch has oil that helps to keep things cool. dry clutch is like manual car. sometimes manual driver careless and clutch can slip. but it's ok to drive on. just tat the experience is not smooth and ppl tot gearbox die. 

for years, Ferrari employed a single dry clutch setup from the F355, 360 and 430. Generally a dry clutch provides more direct driver engagement. but it may not be the masses preference as this involves jerks n noise. Enthusiast love it. Then the dual dry clutch came in to smoothen things out. Despite having 2 clutches, the wear rate is the same as a single clutch. So there's no advantage other than faster shifting and smoother. 

tbh, the heat build up is negligible. I've driven my Alfa single clutch for 9 years and had only one clutch change. The pump and actuator lasted me around 100k. No one is realistically going to hold the clutch for long periods on a slope. None of the manufacturers make these systems btw.

While not having owned vw before, i do feel the dry dual clutch issues are overblown cos the drivers themselves don't know wat they're into. All they care is to push the gear into D and go. and when jerks and errors come up, it's like hell takes over. And all sorts of ridiculous theories pop up like dry clutch cannot handle large amounts of power and so on. For the record, besides previous Ferraris, current F1 cars use a dry single clutch.  

↡ Advertisement