New Camera at Changi Coast Rd

Zenithpool

Supercharged

Nice!

Now people can race between the two camera posts.

3 runs can have an average speed of 210km/h and still register below 70km/h when you drive/ride past the exit camera.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I do not really understand the rational of this set up.

meaning what? if i speed all the way from the start to just before the end, then sit down for a cig break (like what Ghostrider said) and sit for say an hour, [sly], my average speed will still be below the speed limit, that == no summons?

• Praise 1

meaning what? if i speed all the way from the start to just before the end, then sit down for a cig break (like what Ghostrider said) and sit for say an hour, [sly], my average speed will still be below the speed limit, that == no summons?

No one will be so free to do this kinda of thing la.

Strange that it starts operations in Jan but no summons issue yet.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

yes thats how it work... but they can fine you for stopping on the roadside if a TP happens to pass by unless you drive super slow b4 reaching the next cam...

Turbocharged

No one will be so free to do this kinda of thing la.

It's on trial.

Supercharged

Quote from the link...

"The trial is ongoing, and no summons has been issued thus far," a police spokesman said."

Supercharged

yes thats how it work... but they can fine you for stopping on the roadside if a TP happens to pass by unless you drive super slow b4 reaching the next cam...

[laugh] ok... so we know how it works.

now we wait to see how creative those who die-die-must-speed-knowing-cannot ones try to trick this system~! [laugh]

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/trial-cameras-clock-cars-average-speed-20140317

On trial: Cameras to clock car's average speed

Habitual speedsters, watch out - new cameras that "know" your average travelling speed are up and running.

Unlike with the spot speed cameras in use here since 1992, motorists will have a much harder time evading the new technology, which calculates a vehicle's average speed over a stretch to determine if it is breaching the speed limit.

Police installed the first set of so-called "average speed cameras" as a trial at Changi Coastal Road last November, and they were switched on in January.

The cameras are mounted on two gantry-like structures about 4km apart and were spotted by The Straits Times, which understands they are capable of monitoring traffic in both directions.

[sleeping]

It would be really news if the cameras can distinguish between heavy vehicles and cars, and assign different speed thresholds....

If cannot, then it just become a license for the heavy vehicles to "safely" speed to 70-80...

• Praise 1

Twincharged

People always say they will do this or that to beat the system. But in actual fact rarely will have people do this la. Maybe try once or twice only. Rather relax and drive within the limit. What if they station a TP near the end at the second camera? Stop and wait will get fined. Continue on also get fined for speeding.

Supercharged

[laugh] ok... so we know how it works.

now we wait to see how creative those who die-die-must-speed-knowing-cannot ones try to trick this system~! [laugh]

there is cam in the system to identify which car is which so only way is to cover up the car plate or fly over .... if not find some forest along that road to hide until time passes...

I travel along this road fairly often, ever since the gantries are up, I have always made sure I'm travelling within 70 km/h. The cameras look like they are monitoring one vehicle per lane, not sure how the article can claim the gantries can monitor traffic in both directions.

Internal Moderator

Cruising speed for Changi Coast Rd is about 90-100 for me. I usually go there late night. Clear of cars and just a empty & long stretch of road beside the runway. Beautiful to cruise along here at night, super super chilly.

So far yet to see any TPs here but I suppose 80-100 is in the safe range. :mellow:

Twincharged

Cruising speed for Changi Coast Rd is about 90-100 for me. I usually go there late night. Clear of cars and just a empty & long stretch of road beside the runway. Beautiful to cruise along here at night, super super chilly.

So far yet to see any TPs here but I suppose 80-100 is in the safe range. :mellow:

But once the camera is in operation then I don't think 80-100 is safe already.

Maybe at nite lesser...daytime especially morning...they like to hide in the access gates....then you zoom pass...bee boo bee boo...mata lai liao !!!

↡ Advertisement