Just got into accident. Should I claim insurance?

Somebody

Hamburger: Haha! No offense taken. Just that I've never claimed or been claimed against.

For those of you who are suggesting just to claim, mind sharing what's the loading you've heard of before? Thanks!

Ive ben driving fr abt 30 yrs. My NCD was 20% due to earlier claims due to accident.

I was paying $1200 premium for Comprehensive.

I then hit the back of a lorry n sent my car to Ins Co. appointed ws to repairs. I saw the amt for the claim was abt $10K. I just paid the excess of abt $600 plus.

My next premium was minus my NCD of 20% so my new premium is $1500. Thats about it.

↡ Advertisement

Ive ben driving fr abt 30 yrs. My NCD was 20% due to earlier claims due to accident.

I was paying $1200 premium for Comprehensive.

I then hit the back of a lorry n sent my car to Ins Co. appointed ws to repairs. I saw the amt for the claim was abt $10K. I just paid the excess of abt $600 plus.

My next premium was minus my NCD of 20% so my new premium is $1500. Thats about it.

U very lucky

it is not mandatory to make a police report, if there is no injury or foreign vehicles involved. How do i know that? I asked the police men who took my complaint couple of months before when i made the complaint which includes a malaysian vehicle.

I recently hit the back of a parked Msian lorry, but did not realise it was a Msian lorry n drove off after inspecting our vehicles damage. I did not make any police report.

The driver of the Msian lorry made a police report n I received a letter from TP wan to charge me with "Hit n Run".

I called them n was told to go to nearest police post n make a report next day. I was hosptlized for abt 5 days after the accident n produced proof I was in hospital n said I did not know it was a Msian lorry n the driver was not around so I cud not exchange particulars with the driver.

So far I hv not heard anything from TP about my case of "Hit n Run". That was a couple of months ago.

U very lucky

Why u say that?????

I kanna in Dec 2013 somewhat similar... regardless, its 50/50 as I was told.

I reversed and a car came out and knocked me. Reported and surveyors from both insurers settled at 50/50 liability. Asked several WS and all said the same for my case. LL suck thumb and agreed with other party to pay ownself damages and not claim each other to move on.

i don't understand. you reversed into the guy, yet its 50/50?

so i've got chance not to be considered as the person 100% at fault? hahah!

i don't understand. you reversed into the guy, yet its 50/50?

so i've got chance not to be considered as the person 100% at fault? hahah!

Somewhat similar lah. i reversed and she came out of parking lot.

Due diligence on my part to check rear mirrors and we 'collided' when she came head out.

All my lights are on and working fine, she didnt on head lights and no sounding of horn, nothing. Claimed i knocked into her and she stationary!

All the best to u if u try what u mentioned.

Claim. That $4K for his bumper , spread over 10yrs, average out to $400 annually. I doubt the loading will be more than that

I recently hit the back of a parked Msian lorry, but did not realise it was a Msian lorry n drove off after inspecting our vehicles damage. I did not make any police report.

The driver of the Msian lorry made a police report n I received a letter from TP wan to charge me with "Hit n Run".

I called them n was told to go to nearest police post n make a report next day. I was hosptlized for abt 5 days after the accident n produced proof I was in hospital n said I did not know it was a Msian lorry n the driver was not around so I cud not exchange particulars with the driver.

So far I hv not heard anything from TP about my case of "Hit n Run". That was a couple of months ago.

Why u say that?????

Yes, It is very disturbing. I asked to the police officer, about one of the vehicle(which was in front) owner did not exchanged his particulars with me during the accident. But, he mentioned that it is not mandatory to exchange the information with the other drivers just the number plate is sufficient to claim. Which is bit weird, How do i know whether the other person is having a valid driving license, or denies the accident and in fact, how to prove latter the person is not switched to another person? I think it is bit gray there.

cos premiums never increase much

Why u say that?????

Turbocharged

The weird thing about insurance premiums in S'pore is that even with 10% added to NCD yearly, I don't see my premiums payable going down. It either remains constant or goes up, with 0 claims

Edited by Vinceng

The weird thing about insurance premiums in S'pore is that even with 10% added to NCD yearly, I don't see my premiums payable going down. It either remains constant or goes up, with 0 claims

Which insurance company is that? Time to jump ship..

Mine since my NCD% increase to 50%, from $1200 drop to $600++ now..

If you plan to claim insurance, you need to make a police report within 24 hours. Assuming you did not proceed with a private settlement and the other party decide to claim third party through their own insurance with a police report, you will later be queried why you did not make a police report. Not reporting is sometimes viewed as an admission of fault and your own insurance MAY (I emphasize MAY!) decide not to cover you. You best call up your insurance to seek their advice. Calling them for advice is ok, there is no obligation to proceed with an insurance claim by just calling them for advice.

As long as there are no injuries and you have reported the accident to your insurance company within the stipulated time, even if later the other party claims injuries (anything with more than 3 days MC is considered injury ie releated to the accident)

You only need to make police report

1) Injuries to the parties involved in the accident

2) Foreign vehicles

3) Official or gov vehicles (embassy vehicles, police car etc)

If say at the point of accident...nobody claims injuries, and then one of the parties goes see doctor and gets a MC for 3 days or more, he/she makes a Police report, Traffic Police will just send you a letter and ask you to make a report at NPP for formalities sake.

Thats why I also changed Ins Co when ty did not reduce my premiums when my NCD increased.

1st was Aunty Lucy then another new company.

Now I with Direct Asia n very happy with them. I find them more fair n better pricing.

Do not b afraid to change Ins Co when u find ty r not giving u a good deal. Dun b Loyal to the leech that is sucking your blood.

Edited by Pisces69

Yes, It is very disturbing. I asked to the police officer, about one of the vehicle(which was in front) owner did not exchanged his particulars with me during the accident. But, he mentioned that it is not mandatory to exchange the information with the other drivers just the number plate is sufficient to claim. Which is bit weird, How do i know whether the other person is having a valid driving license, or denies the accident and in fact, how to prove latter the person is not switched to another person? I think it is bit gray there.

Yes its true no need to exchange particulars in an accident. U just need the other vehicle number.

Only if there r injuries n other vehicle is a foreign or Govt vehicle then u need to make a police report....otherwise no need.

Otherwise if u wan to know the full name , address n IC no. of someone, U just bang them slightly n ty hv to give u all their personal details which is very dangerous also.

cos premiums never increase much

I lost my 20% NCD which is standard procedure. Now Im back to 0% NCD again. [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

↡ Advertisement