Toyota distributor Borneo quits Motor Traders Association

Darthrevan

TMAP = Importer of Toyota car

BM = AD of Toyota car

Corolla Altis vs Corolla Axio => which 1 will you buy?

JDM Camry is hybrid only. Are you sure you want to buy?

Currently, BM is selling 12 sedans, MPV & SUV. Only 5 comes Asean le. So??????

Please correct me if I am wrong. The Corolla that is made is Japan now is the narrow body version with width capped at 1695mm to meet the Tokyo standard as their cars are taxed based on width. The Corolla Altis which is currently sold by BM is the international version with a much wider body. That explains why it is sourced from Thailand. This is similar to the current 10th gen Civic as it is considered a large car in Japan of width 1.8m and hence Japan don't produce it any longer.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Please correct me if I am wrong. The Corolla that is made is Japan now is the narrow body version with width capped at 1695mm to meet the Tokyo standard as their cars are taxed based on width. The Corolla Altis which is currently sold by BM is the international version with a much wider body. That explains why it is sourced from Thailand. This is similar to the current 10th gen Civic as it is considered a large car in Japan of width 1.8m and hence Japan don't produce it any longer.

Thx for the info.

Axio width => 1,695

Altis width => 1,775

Even Allion/Premio is smaller than Altis.

Bottom line, BM had lost the market share of Toyota sales in SG - due to Toyota Inc Japan's insistence to bring in mainly the MIT and MII ASEAN car models here.

The fact that Toyota sold more cars than any other brand here in FY2016, was due mainly from the not-insignificant numbers of Lexus and PI JDM Toyotas sold here.

This is likely the key driver for a major re-think, for Toyota Inc to tweak their business model here.

Who knows? They may follow the steps that VW AG and Daimler & Benz AG had taken previously!

If they continue to sell MIT car, who is selling doesn't matters. 

Those who want MIJ car will still go to PI.

• Praise 1

buy toyota go outside service even cheaper and faster. since most ws outside can do the repair and maintenance for japs cars.

anyway, most jap cars rarely breakdown compared to contis.

don't know why still need to go back toyota after warranty ends.really is no point unless those owners like a classy showroom and better ambience environment. ends up costs them alot more compared to outside ws.

Edited by Ryosuke
  • Praise 1

buy toyota go outside service even cheaper and faster. since most ws outside can do the repair and maintenance for japs cars.

don't know why still need to go back toyota after warranty ends.really is no point unless those owners like a classy showroom and better ambience environment. ends up costs them alot more compared to outside ws.

By that thinking... Like that buy MIJ PI better.

Why waste money that had already been priced in to BM cars for 5yr warranty?

Yes, it's true !! But, it's paid by the owners already la....hahaha. Got free lunch meh ??muahahah

Wow!! Yes, it's absolutely true!! Well, chauffeur salary who is paying hahahaha

No doubt!! It's impressive, treats customers better den merc / bus MRT walkkkk muahahhahah

Ya !!! YUpZZZZ !! Just PAY ONLY !!! Pay for peace !! Pay and paid

mercs and bmw are not much cheaper but the service you get is different . Their attitude towards warranty is also commendable . Sure we can go back to already costed in argument

Go outside can get the car back in 1 hour, go AD become minimum half day there.

Go outside can get the car back in 1 hour, go AD become minimum half day there.

Actually when I compare the service done for my Civic by Kah versus that done for my friend's quick service, I still prefer service at the AD.

I have been to see what they do, moment by moment, and it's meticulous, and systematic.

Plus they clean and wash my car.

The 'quick' service is simply an oil change for the outside workshop.

No doubt there is a price difference, and you may have to wait for your turn, but the actual service itself isn't long and if you go on a quiet day, it's pretty ok.

Are we throwing good money away if we go to the AD for service?

That depends on your perspective. My car has been in good running condition, and take their advice on pre-emptive service to prevent breakdowns, and apart from a kaput aircon compressor, which took half a day to fix, nothing has broken down outside of the service intervals.

So YMMV. Toyota buyers outnumber the others, and they like predictability. So it's the right car for the right person. And we are very practical people in SG, who enjoy fuss free motoring above all else.

See how 'sex' cars like Fiats and Alfas have fallen by the wayside? 

• Praise 1

Actually when I compare the service done for my Civic by Kah versus that done for my friend's quick service, I still prefer service at the AD.

I have been to see what they do, moment by moment, and it's meticulous, and systematic.

Plus they clean and wash my car.

The 'quick' service is simply an oil change for the outside workshop.

No doubt there is a price difference, and you may have to wait for your turn, but the actual service itself isn't long and if you go on a quiet day, it's pretty ok.

Are we throwing good money away if we go to the AD for service?

That depends on your perspective. My car has been in good running condition, and take their advice on pre-emptive service to prevent breakdowns, and apart from a kaput aircon compressor, which took half a day to fix, nothing has broken down outside of the service intervals.

So YMMV. Toyota buyers outnumber the others, and they like predictability. So it's the right car for the right person. And we are very practical people in SG, who enjoy fuss free motoring above all else.

Same here , I tend to go back to AD for complicated jobs.

I recollect a seemingly simple ATF drain and fill job for my IS250 ended up having the quick service shop under filling it by 1 litre, making the car almost un-driveable .

When I downloaded and shared the fill process for the A960E transmission, it clearly stated the following critical steps

1) fill until fluid overflows from overflow plug

2) replace the overflow plug and fill in another 1 - 2.5 litres of WS fluid ( depending on type of repair performed on the car)

3) idle the car and let ATF warm up to a certain temperature  

4) loosen overflow plug and fill again until overflow.

The shop merely performed to step 1 and laughed at the process I provided with the remark " we know what we are doing , have done it for years "

In the end, I had the car booked into Lexus and paid a princely sum of $800 for a complete fluid change package. ( they don't sell ala carte ) and that solved the problem  

quick service shops can handle most but not all jobs in my opinion

The main reason people go to workshops outside is to save money, not for better service or more expertise.

So when we do that, there's always a risk. 

Marginal buyers will do the minimum to keep their car running.

Some of us will spend a lot on heavy add on, go slow bits, but later on scrimp on good servicing..

On the other hand, car enthusiasts will go to great lengths to ensure their car is running well.

Edited by therock

For modern cars which have so many electronics features, those older workshop who is not speacialize in that brand, might have issue.

Example for mazda, owners usually will go to monster garage. But for toyota, they can go any ah pek workshop.

• Praise 1

If by 'sex' cars, you mean those cars screw the owner hard and repeatedly, then I agree. :D

• Praise 2

Bottom line, BM had lost the market share of Toyota sales in SG - due to Toyota Inc Japan's insistence to bring in mainly the MIT and MII ASEAN car models here.

The fact that Toyota sold more cars than any other brand here in FY2016, was due mainly from the not-insignificant numbers of Lexus and PI JDM Toyotas sold here.

This is likely the key driver for a major re-think, for Toyota Inc to tweak their business model here.

Who knows? They may follow the steps that VW AG and Daimler & Benz AG had taken previously!

i don't see cheaper mercedes after Daimler took back the dealership

• Praise 1

Same here , I tend to go back to AD for complicated jobs.

I recollect a seemingly simple ATF drain and fill job for my IS250 ended up having the quick service shop under filling it by 1 litre, making the car almost un-driveable .

When I downloaded and shared the fill process for the A960E transmission, it clearly stated the following critical steps

1) fill until fluid overflows from overflow plug

2) replace the overflow plug and fill in another 1 - 2.5 litres of WS fluid ( depending on type of repair performed on the car)

3) idle the car and let ATF warm up to a certain temperature  

4) loosen overflow plug and fill again until overflow.

The shop merely performed to step 1 and laughed at the process I provided with the remark " we know what we are doing , have done it for years "

In the end, I had the car booked into Lexus and paid a princely sum of $800 for a complete fluid change package. ( they don't sell ala carte ) and that solved the problem  

quick service shops can handle most but not all jobs in my opinion

pray tell which workshop! so we all can avoid it.

The main reason people go to workshops outside is to save money, not for better service or more expertise.

So when we do that, there's always a risk. 

Marginal buyers will do the minimum to keep their car running.

Some of us will spend a lot on heavy add on, go slow bits, but later on scrimp on good servicing..

On the other hand, car enthusiasts will go to great lengths to ensure their car is running well.

i am not sure which non-AD workshop/s you had been to in the past.

going to a non-AD workshop =/= scrimp on good servicing. apart from saving some money and a faster turnaround, i get equally good, if not better, and more personal service from the non-AD workshops i have been going to for many years. i can watch and speak to the mechanic at the servicing bay. most importantly, the mechanics there are competent and knowledgeable when it comes to servicing, troubleshooting and repair.

• Praise 3

not heard, it's true . You get served breakfast and also a dedicated limo service to selected destinations after dropping off the car.

The limo is not a 10 seater passenger van like what they use in VW , but a and LS / ES driven by a nicely attired chaefuer

Wah shiok. Blardy C&C MB service centre gotta Q up take number maciam lining up to buy chicken rice liddat (despite having oredi book online service slot) n hv to wait again to see the esteemed SA. Onli given a lousy voucher to hv a slice of cake n kopi (cannot change to peng hor as ice cube is apparently very expensive....)

Then hv to stand outside on main road to ownself wave teksi. Such luxury....

↡ Advertisement