OCBC Cycle Singapore 2014

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

More than 10,000 cyclists came together on Sunday morning to take part in OCBC Cycle Singapore. In total, a record 12,000 people took part in the three-day event, which took them past iconic landmarks such as the Sheares Bridge, Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands.

10003885_660961813950968_1200192841_n.jp

SINGAPORE: More than 10,000 cyclists came together on Sunday morning to take part in OCBC Cycle Singapore.

In total, a record 12,000 people took part in the three-day event, which took them past iconic landmarks such as the Sheares Bridge, Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands.

Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin helped flag off the Super Challenge category at the F1 Pit Building, before taking part in the 59-kilometre challenge himself.

OCBC Cycle Singapore also saw representatives from various charities take part to raise funds.

The event is into its sixth year, and attendance has grown steadily.

It attracted just over 5,000 riders in its first edition in 2009.

Mr Tan said: "More people are responding, I think not just to cycling but... many sports. And that's encouraging.

“That’s good for the growing sporting fraternity. What it means from the competitive angle is that perhaps you might have a larger pool to draw people from."

Mr Tan said the government is committed to seeing cycling grow as a mode of transport.

But having dedicated cycling lanes on roads here is something the authorities will have to explore further.

He cited space constraints as a potential obstacle and pointed to alternatives that are already in place.

He said: "Well, we have park connectors, which I think is increasing in connectivity, and I think that's a great way (to encourage people to cycle).

“It's not ideal for competitive cycling because you can't really go at fast speeds, but I think for the majority of people when they're cycling, I think park connectors are great. Both the ABC Waters programme and park connectors -- I think when they are fully mature, you will have a fairly dense network."

- CNA/xq

Anybody went?

1011610_661522473894902_425668253_n.jpg

↡ Advertisement

More than 10,000 cyclists came together on Sunday morning to take part in OCBC Cycle Singapore. In total, a record 12,000 people took part in the three-day event, which took them past iconic landmarks such as the Sheares Bridge, Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands.

10003885_660961813950968_1200192841_n.jp

SINGAPORE: More than 10,000 cyclists came together on Sunday morning to take part in OCBC Cycle Singapore.

In total, a record 12,000 people took part in the three-day event, which took them past iconic landmarks such as the Sheares Bridge, Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands.

Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin helped flag off the Super Challenge category at the F1 Pit Building, before taking part in the 59-kilometre challenge himself.

OCBC Cycle Singapore also saw representatives from various charities take part to raise funds.

The event is into its sixth year, and attendance has grown steadily.

It attracted just over 5,000 riders in its first edition in 2009.

Mr Tan said: "More people are responding, I think not just to cycling but... many sports. And that's encouraging.

Thats good for the growing sporting fraternity. What it means from the competitive angle is that perhaps you might have a larger pool to draw people from."

Mr Tan said the government is committed to seeing cycling grow as a mode of transport.

But having dedicated cycling lanes on roads here is something the authorities will have to explore further.

He cited space constraints as a potential obstacle and pointed to alternatives that are already in place.

He said: "Well, we have park connectors, which I think is increasing in connectivity, and I think that's a great way (to encourage people to cycle).

It's not ideal for competitive cycling because you can't really go at fast speeds, but I think for the majority of people when they're cycling, I think park connectors are great. Both the ABC Waters programme and park connectors -- I think when they are fully mature, you will have a fairly dense network."

- CNA/xq

Anybody went?

1011610_661522473894902_425668253_n.jpg

Me. Took part in the foldie community ride. Backside jin pain now

Internal Moderator

Haha! I also have a tern link c7 at home. But never ride for the ocbc. . . How long is the foldie community ride?

Supersonic

it was sibei crowded sia.

but the best thing is, got no angmo leotards playing pretend tour de france on regular roads yesterday. :D

• Praise 1

Haha! I also have a tern link c7 at home. But never ride for the ocbc. . . How long is the foldie community ride?

27km.

me went. saw alot of crashes. got 1 person lying bloods, another w arm brace macam broken... walan cycling event more violent than MMA siol lol

• Praise 2

I went there last Saturday, more for sport gear fair on the 3rd floor of the F1 pit building.. Wide range for sport gear, especially for cyclists...

Turbocharged

neber ask the xmm use oil to rub rub... [laugh][inlove]

Turbocharged

I thought it was madness to squeeze with every other rider, but I never knew it was this bad.

I saw some footage on the news yesterday, cyclists were braking and stumbling all over the place.

Thanks but no thanks.

me went. saw alot of crashes. got 1 person lying bloods, another w arm brace macam broken... walan cycling event more violent than MMA siol lol

Fall down lor.

of course lah if not drunk meh [laugh][laugh]

the strange thing is why no one saw in such a big event with thousands of participants?

Not everyone chiong off at same time, got different categories and different flag-off timings etc. Maybe he just suay suay fall down when nobody was behind him to see.

Cycling on road so dangerous. should be banned. See, even no cars cyclist also still anyhow buang each other and dunch care run away.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Cycling on road so dangerous. should be banned. See, even no cars cyclist also still anyhow buang each other and dunch care run away.

At some parts, it was a bit crowded and there was a mix of a few kan cheong spiders and sunday morning riders together. There was minimal lane etiquette as some sunday riders were cycling all over and sometimes change lane w/o signalling or looking back first and the kan cheong spiders were zooming past. Was surprised to see quite a few accidents, even on the super slow upslope on Benjamin Shears bridge (damn siong and slow to paddle up still can langgar meh?)

I oso din help that the organiser oso abit chaos and mixed up some categories together in the flag off. I saw ppl wif MTB and racer bikes wearing Foldies Challenge bibs..... [dizzy][dizzy] .

At some parts, it was a bit crowded and there was a mix of a few kan cheong spiders and sunday morning riders together. There was minimal lane etiquette as some sunday riders were cycling all over and sometimes change lane w/o signalling or looking back first and the kan cheong spiders were zooming past. Was surprised to see quite a few accidents, even on the super slow upslope on Benjamin Shears bridge (damn siong and slow to paddle up still can langgar meh?)

I oso din help that the organiser oso abit chaos and mixed up some categories together in the flag off. I saw ppl wif MTB and racer bikes wearing Foldies Challenge bibs..... [dizzy][dizzy] .

So basically the same clusterf**k and cock-ups as every other OCBC cycle?

Situation normal then.

On the pavement, they have problems with pedestrian. On the road, problem with motorists. Now with fellow riders they also no give chance to each other. Accident s everywhere. Ban them altogether.
  • Praise 5

many cyclists are selfish and dont slow or stop them when needed.

i cycle too but i m considerate.

btw, wearing helmet in this event also no use...

Edited by Babyt
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2