Road trip around Europe

Ldlian987

That's about € 63 /day

I get mine normally from Europcar that's about €50/day with Gps, zero excess comprehensive insurance too. Used my pivilege card to get free upgrades. Been sticking with Europcar for years. Agreed that renown brands are more reliable. Had my fair share of pricks on the wheel encounters in the many times in in Europe but took it easy and enjoyed my drives.

Mayb cos I picked a full size vehicle? Will try to get a quote from all car rental companies in future. Hertz, Budget, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty etc..

Edited by Aaronlkl
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Mayb cos I picked a full size vehicle? Will try to get a quote from all car rental companies in future. Hertz, Budget, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty etc..

nah... I got corporate rates

Even the Audi A3 with my 4000km on the odometre & the 2.0 TDi Golf with 17,000km were also about €50 ~ €60/day

Try & stick to one if you can. That will help you earn points for a privilege card to gain free upgrades or some discounts the car rental companies are linked up. So what works in Europe works in Australia too.

Edited by Fels
  • Praise 1

i used AutoEurope and the consistent winner in terms of pricing is Thrifty. The cars gotten through Thrifty are fulfilled by Hertz.

Two things to take note

1. Keep out for the mileage restriction

2. Ask for comprehensive insurance coverage because hailstones are getting more and more frequent these coming weeks.

Hailstone damage is not covered by Third Party insurance coverage. You are looking at a potential compensation of 1.2k Euros upwards if the car is struck by hailstones and sustain damage.

You can try this site for comparison.

https://www.holidayautos.co.uk/?clientID=477073&kwid=101477&kpid=406&ktrack=c_ec02847d-c730-46ef-874c-3294debf0fe5_147184924_6597382924_221035287736_kwd-14150243_Google_406&_$ja=tsid:70550|cid:147184924|agid:6597382924|tid:kwd-14150243|crid:221035287736|nw:g|rnd:17370064777705091337|dvc:c|adp:1t1&gclid=CjwKCAjw3f3NBRBPEiwAiiHxGJ70YpHr7cHA-R3SsxoZ-a_sxfl-29WEx2BHCDYHLFbSK4AE4lQmNxoCnnIQAvD_BwE#/searchcars

Anyone been to Czech Republic?

How and where do u buy their currency?

Draw from their ATM using your Spore ATM card, only charge S$5 per withdrawal and no need to pay commission, exchange rate much better than money changer in Prague...... another way is use your USD to buy a coffee at Starbuck, they change back Cz coruna to you, rates also better than money changer.... i changed in Munich HBF before seting off for Prague, kena ketuk gao gao also don't know.... [bigcry]

Anyway, this reply abit late.... just came about it when I looking for info about driving in germany.

I just want to move about  from Munich to Berlin, Wittenberg, Leipzig and back to Munich... how's the driving condition in those city area? Is it stressful or any traffic rules different from us (besides being drive on the right)?

Thanks

Edited by Bluepica
  • Praise 1

Draw from their ATM using your Spore ATM card, only charge S$5 per withdrawal and no need to pay commission, exchange rate much better than money changer in Prague...... another way is use your USD to buy a coffee at Starbuck, they change back Cz coruna to you, rates also better than money changer.... i changed in Munich HBF before seting off for Prague, kena ketuk gao gao also don't know.... [bigcry]

Anyway, this reply abit late.... just came about it when I looking for info about driving in germany.

I just want to move about from Munich to Berlin, Wittenberg, Leipzig and back to Munich... how's the driving condition in those city area? Is it stressful or any traffic rules different from us (besides being drive on the right)?

Thanks

Speed limit are strictly enforce in city. Be careful.

For parking in city, it is better to park in shopping mall or bigger car park. Those parking along the street can be for season parking only. Problem is we can't read the sign.I got a summon for that, for parking at season lot.

• Praise 1

Autobahn close to the city or passing through city has 90km/h speed limit.

Within city, better don't drive unless a very steady driver.

To add on, B road near small town may have speed cam before entering town.

Speed limit may reduce from 100km/h to less than 50km/h.

Autobahn close to the city or passing through city has 90km/h speed limit.

Within city, better don't drive unless a very steady driver.

Won’t be driving in the city, just to get from one city to another and stop ever at some country side area.

If I rent a small car, will it be dangerous to drive on the autobahn when even the big trucks speed on the slower lane?

And any car rental to recommend? Or just the big player like hertz or Avis is good enough?

Thanks

Won’t be driving in the city, just to get from one city to another and stop ever at some country side area.

If I rent a small car, will it be dangerous to drive on the autobahn when even the big trucks speed on the slower lane?

And any car rental to recommend? Or just the big player like hertz or Avis is good enough?

Thanks

If it is Mini, no worries lah.

If it is smart, i worry.

In Germany, try out Sixt.

Edited by Davidtch

If it is Mini, no worries lah.

If it is smart, i worry.

In Germany, try out Sixt.

oh Mini can ah? haha....I thought too small can fly when heavy truck zoomed pass  [laugh]

I checked the drive from Munich to Berlin is about 6 hrs, their autobahn like NSH got rest area right? 

oh Mini can ah? haha....I thought too small can fly when heavy truck zoomed pass  [laugh]

I checked the drive from Munich to Berlin is about 6 hrs, their autobahn like NSH got rest area right? 

I m driving Mini in Singapore.  On NSH, i m doing 150km/h usually.

I believe there is rest area in btw

Smallest car I drove in Germany in the past 15yrs.

If Autobann no speed limit, typical speed on slower lane is about 130 - 150km/h.

Just keep to slower lane. Sometime going up slope very difficult to maintain the speed. You will need to drop 1  to 2 gear to keep at above 130km/h. So far all my rental car there manual gear.

post-29292-0-76532100-1509502877_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Smallest car I drove in Germany in the past 15yrs.

If Autobann no speed limit, typical speed on slower lane is about 130 - 150km/h.

Just keep to slower lane. Sometime going up slope very difficult to maintain the speed. You will need to drop 1  to 2 gear to keep at above 130km/h. So far all my rental car there manual gear.

The mini and this Opel can put one 27" luggage in the boot area? The car rental booking stated 1 suitcase but now sure what is the max size it can hold.

and by the way, most car (below premium) for rental are manual?? I can only see auto transmission car for premium class.

The mini and this Opel can put one 27" luggage in the boot area? The car rental booking stated 1 suitcase but now sure what is the max size it can hold.

and by the way, most car (below premium) for rental are manual?? I can only see auto transmission car for premium class.

I don't think can fit 27" luggage without opening up backseat

In EU, manual is default. Need to pay more for auto

You will need to put a request for auto during booking.

But why drive auto when manual is more fun, especially in a open autobann road or winding B road. You can have full control of the gear. 

• Praise 1

You will need to put a request for auto during booking.

But why drive auto when manual is more fun, especially in a open autobann road or winding B road. You can have full control of the gear.

More than 10 yrs no drive manual car liao and not familiar with road... gear stick on the right somemore
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1