Road trip around Europe

Ldlian987

I rem there is a pecking order on autobahn:

1. Porky

2. Merc

3. BMW

4. Audi

5. VW

It quite funny that a lot of local Merc are road hoggers.

In Germany, those big engine E Class or S Class. E400, E500 are stormer on Autobann.

↡ Advertisement

It quite funny that a lot of local Merc are road hoggers.

In Germany, those big engine E Class or S Class. E400, E500 are stormer on Autobann.

If u drive porky, Merc will Siam

Hello Forumers,

I plan to road travel to Euro in coming school holiday,

landing Italy self-driving to France and Germany, then return car to Italy,

I heard there is not speed limit in Germany, all cars travelling about 200km/h on their expressway, does it mean I have to rent a high class cars such as BMW, Mercedes etc, normal Japanese/Korean car cannot follow the cruising speed,

Look at this video.

How fast driver keep to slower lane after overtake or faster car coming from behind on Autobann.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

Look at this video.

How fast driver keep to slower lane after overtake or faster car coming from behind on Autobann.

i'm thinking how to survive on unlimited expressway for those Jap/Korean slow cars, such as Singapore most common Altis, Elantra, Civic, vezel, X-trail, Harriar, Tuscon etc.

Edited by MQX87511

i'm thinking how to survive on unlimited expressway for those Jap/Korean slow cars, such as Singapore most common Altis, Elantra, Civic, vezel, X-trail, Harriar, Tuscon etc.

Most of the model you mention are not selling in Europe.

Those selling latest model are mostly using turbo engine. Especially those Korean car.

Civic 1.5T, Harriar 2.0T and Tuscon 1.6T may be ok on their expressway, others ... [shakehead]

Civic 1.5T, Harriar 2.0T and Tuscon 1.6T may be ok on their expressway, others ... [shakehead]

Europe no Harrier lah.

Civic should be the made in UK version.

Go europe rent car must try to get a conti lah.

Once of my rental in germany from Euro car, the rental they put Passat or similar. During the collection they give me a Toyota 1.8L. No turbo.

On Autobann really struggling to keep up with traffic. Especially on up slope portion. Manual geàr drop from 6 to 5 to 4....

Edited by Tohto

exactly, last year I was driving civic FD1.8 on NS expressway first lane cruising about 130km/h, noticed a BMW 5 series from behind high beam and horned, I throttled down and increased speed up to195+km/h,  the BMW still bited my buttom closely, I could hear very loud wind sound and speed increasing very slow due to wind resistance, gave way and it easily overtook and speed up further, which means Japanese cars mostly are not suitable for 200km/h above speed, not only the engine power, but also the aerodynamic design need to improve 

Edited by MQX87511

exactly, last year I was driving civic FD1.8 on NS expressway first lane cruising about 130km/h, noticed a BMW 5 series from behind high beam and horned, I throttled down and increased speed up to195+km/h, the BMW still bited my buttom closely, I could hear very loud wind sound and speed increasing very slow due to wind resistance, gave way and it easily overtook and speed up further, which means Japanese cars mostly are not suitable for 200km/h above speed, not only the engine power, but also the aerodynamic design need to improve

Looks like my Mini is better than Civic.

Balls not big enough to go beyond 200km/h.

Europe no Harrier lah.

Once of my rental in germany from Euro car, the rental they put Passat or similar. During the collection they give me a Toyota 1.8L. No turbo.

On Autobann really struggling to keep up with traffic. Especially on up slope portion. Manual geàr drop from 6 to 5 to 4....

I guess Mini is still better than Toyota Avensis.

Europe no Harrier lah.

looks like I have to rent at least 2.0T or 3.0NA, but I am prefer to SUV, initially intent to rent RAV4, Tucson, Ford etc, cheap and specious, 

don't tell me have to be X3/5, XC60/90, LR, GLA, etc, I'm not affordable, [:(]

consider Jeep 3.0NA, but FC horrible [:(]

Looks like my Mini is better than Civic.

Balls not big enough to go beyond 200km/h.

Mini NA or TC ?

looks like I have to rent at least 2.0T or 3.0NA, but I am prefer to SUV, initially intent to rent RAV4, Tucson, Ford etc, cheap and specious,

don't tell me have to be X3/5, XC60/90, LR, GLA, etc, I'm not affordable, [:(]

consider Jeep 3.0NA, but FC horrible [:(]

Mini NA or TC ?

Just get any Turbo diesel SUV. Cheaper fuel and good FC.

You can easily catch up with traffic.

Don't even need to drop a gear on up slope.

I don't think you can find any conti NA.

Do remember to request for auto if you can't drive left hand drive manual. As defaults car rental in europe mostly manual gear.

Edited by Tohto

Hi,

We am planning family road trip from Netherlands to Germany and Switzerland during this June holiday. In Germany we will be staying at our friend place (near Munich). We will rent SUV from Amsterdam  to Munich and Zurich then back to Amsterdam. Everyone care, share and advice will be appreciated.

Hi,

We am planning family road trip from Netherlands to Germany and Switzerland during this June holiday. In Germany we will be staying at our friend place (near Munich). We will rent SUV from Amsterdam  to Munich and Zurich then back to Amsterdam. Everyone care, share and advice will be appreciated.

Rented wrong car.

Turbo diesel stationwagen is the best.

Edited by Davidtch

Rented wrong car.

Turbo diesel stationwagen is the best.

Thought of SUV is more comfort for long hours sitting bro...

Thought of SUV is more comfort for long hours sitting bro...

SUV don't have enough boot space.

In term of comfort, there is no diff btw estate and SUV.

A lot of European city/town has very narrow roads.  With huge SUV, are you sure you can navigate it?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1