ST journalist explains irksome behaviour of PRCs

Baal

Supersonic

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/03/31/st-journalist-explains-irksome-behaviour-of-prcs/

ST journalist explains irksome behaviour of PRCs

dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png March 31st, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial
PRC-protest1-300x294.jpg

A relative of a passenger on Flight MH370 shouting at journalists in Beijing last week (Photo REUTERS).

Kor Kian Beng, the ST China Bureau Chief In Beijing, wrote a ST article today (‘MH370: When grief turns into anger’, 31 Mar). He wrote to explain that the unique psyche of PRCs may help to explain the quarrelsome behavior of relatives of PRCs who were on Flight MH370. Flight MH370 went missing on 8 March and it has yet to be found.

Mr Kor wrote, “For about 400 grief-stricken relatives of the 153 Chinese passengers on board missing Flight MH370, their behaviour has run the gamut from going on a hunger strike, and gatecrashing an official press briefing in Kuala Lumpur, to protesting in front of the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing and hurling insults at Malaysian government and airline officials at meetings.”

“They were protesting against the pace and course of investigations and demanding to know why the Malaysia Airlines plane never made it to its intended destination, Beijing, and how it could have remained missing since March 8.”

Mr Kor specifically noted that media reports of PRCs’ behaviour contrasted sharply with that of families of other nationalities, who also have relatives on the plane.

Even Acting Transport Minister of Malaysia, Hishammuddin Hussein, said, “The Chinese families must also understand that Malaysia also lost loved ones and many other nations also lost loved ones.”

“I have seen images (of relatives) from Australia: very rational, understanding this is a global effort, not blaming Malaysia, because it is coordinating something unprecedented.”

Mr Kor, being based in China, tried to examine the factors behind PRC behaviour and whether most people, if in the same plight and living in the Chinese society, would have responded the same way.

He said, “After living here for two years, I have come to realise just how much the Chinese people suspect their government and officials of covering up scandals or hiding the truth. Just take a look at the Chinese cyberspace, where netizens often poke holes at official pronouncements and slam government policies.”

“This helps explain why many relatives, until now, still believe that the Malaysian government is not coming clean on the missing plane.”

Mr Kor said that many PRCs also believe in taking things into their own hands. They also believe that in the law of the jungle, only the fittest, as well as the loudest, wins.

He recounted, “I was once standing in line at an airport check-in counter when a group of men rudely cut in. When I told them off, they started heckling me and calling me blind.”

“Perhaps this is why the relatives who are in Beijing have been extremely vocal in their anger and demands as shown during meetings with Malaysian officials and the embassy protest last Tuesday.”

Mr Kor quoted Prof Hu Xingdou, who said, “China is not a law-based society but one ruled and determined largely by the elite few. So the people know that they have to kick up a fuss, fight, and struggle to get their way.”

The society’s focus on making money and becoming rich over the past 30 years has also diluted social values such as character-building at home or in school, leading many to act in less restrained or ungentlemanly ways, Prof Hu added.

Other factors may include a sense of superiority, boosted by China’s rise as a future superpower, Mr Kor said.

“Ultimately, the most powerful force driving the Chinese relatives’ behaviour has to be their fear of losing their loved ones, forever. Emotions running high – grief, anguish, anger, fear – cannot be assuaged easily,” Mr Kor said.

Mr Kor concluded, “Would I have acted the way they did? Probably not. But then, I’m not in their shoes.”

↡ Advertisement

very sensitive topic to tread on, ah kor.

i asked myself, "would i write this if i were in his shoes? no i would simply shut the f up."

Turbocharged

f**k china

all of them? do we have time?

jokes aside ... not all are bad la, i have a china classmate from uni and i can count on him for anything. yes, he is a minority amongst china chinese, but it proves that not all are bad la...

• Praise 10

(edited)

This all because of nuMber, other nationalities less than 30s, unlike china 150 families combined together

Moreover who is not sad, if i were them i also gone crazy

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

Well, it's true. PRC people believe the one who shout the loudest wins.

A few years ago, I was on a train to Dandong.

What greeted me as the train passed by a station was a large crowd gathered in the evening and there was a shouting match going on.

Yeap. I came to accept that it's their culture.

Only thing I'm lucky I don't have to live there.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3

What greeted me as the train passed by a station was a large crowd gathered in the evening and there was a shouting match going on.

not so lucky though....they are coming here in droves! cant beat us militarily (defensive pact with others) swarm us until we drown!
  • Praise 4

(edited)

china is awaken dragon

else ...where got so loud

even the chinese govt can shout, if you dont want to search ... let me search ... i can send planes, ships, submarines, and army to search

no power no talk la

look at the netizen lashing in internet

not happy dont come to china (to make money)

if we dont like you ... we boycot your country, your product, etc

mnc and artiste all scared to anger prc public ... anyhow kena boycot

yes, the loudest voice wins

Edited by Wt_know

The last sentence is the only meaningful one.... we are not in their shoes. Dont act saints and critise them, wait till ur family member (s) also on that flight den comment about them.

But you see they have 5,000 years of civilisation.

Singapore only 50, we wait another 4950 years then we also can shout shout here and there, ok?

• Praise 2

20 years ago, I was at Shanghai Train Station queueing for train tickets, a local chinese jumped queue right into the ticket counter, another local chinese behind me went forward to drag him away, the guy who jumped queue shouted loudly by saying... 我买车票关你什么事?想打架我逢陪 !

Then, 2 more local chinese infront of me dash to him and BANG ! Three vs ONE big fight broke out, all the queue in the train station disperse into a huge human mess. [dizzy]

My personal opinion is, not all PRC but majority are provocative by nature [:/][:/]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

“China is not a law-based society but one ruled and determined largely by the elite few. So the people know that they have to kick up a fuss, fight, and struggle to get their way.”

This is Singapore version

"Although Singapore is a law-based society, it is still one ruled and determined largely by the elite few. After decades of ruling, the people know that they have no chance to kick up a fuss, fight and struggle to get their way as they will be invited to kopi without trial. "

• Praise 4

20 years ago, I was at Shanghai Train Station queueing for train tickets, a local chinese jumped queue right into the ticket counter, another local chinese behind me went forward to drag him away, the guy who jumped queue shouted loudly by saying... 我买车票关你什么事?想打架我逢陪 !

Then, 2 more local chinese infront of me dash to him and BANG ! Three vs ONE big fight broke out, all the queue in the train station disperse into a huge human mess. [dizzy]

My personal opinion is, not all PRC but majority are provocative by nature [:/][:/]

We more civilised. We call police. We spit at people. We take photos.