Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/cant-find-cabs-on-the-road-try-the-yard

It's time to let in the foreigners to take the job??? :ph34r:

lol, not so fast ...... from the same article, the SG uncle is just clever to take the better deal...

However, the single biggest factor behind the idle taxis is the higher rental rate. Daily rentals now range from around $130 for a regular cab to about $180 for a new Mercedes-Benz taxi - 50 per cent to 60 per cent higher than a decade ago.

The rental for an Uber car is as low as $60 a day.

An industry source said 30 per cent to 40 per cent of drivers

who signed up with Uber and GrabCar fleets are former cabbies.

There are an estimated 3,000 of such cars providing on-call taxi services.

Cabbies who have switched said attractions include

having access to a car that does not have a taxi sign on its roof,

and being able to fetch clients to Malaysia and back.

Mr Thomas Tan, 50, was among half a dozen cabbies who had given up their Comfort Mercedes cabs for Toyota Alphard MPVs.

"This is the new direction, and we're embracing it," he said.

His colleague Leslie Chang, 46, said: "This is like having our own car with a private number plate."

On average, Mr Chang said he does five to eight trips a day. "In a taxi, we had to do 20," he noted.

They pay less than $140 a day on rental, versus $178 for the Merc.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

If the taxi companies remove all the stupid booking fees & surcharges ... I will consider going back to taxis

Hopefully with competition can get them change to be more customer oriented ....

We had been at their mercy for donkey years Liao.....suka suka increase price, impose surcharge,: got peak hour surcharge, got airport surcharge, got expo surcharges, got midnight surcharge ... Did I miss anything?

Singapore taxi has the most complex fair structures.... And yet we can't seem to get taxi when we need them.

Say yes to uber and grabcar....

• Praise 1

if taxi lao come out and complain of unfair competition, i have only this to say.

Plain laziness

this is the reason as i cant think of other excuse.

https://www.facebook.com/poh.elton/videos/10153029919000933/

alleged taxi drivers threatening uber/grabcar driver in boleh...

wat the guy said:" yet another grabcar or uber... this is wat we'll do, if u r grabcar or uber.."

Orbi good to bolehland taxi driver. Their "parang" is very sharp to cut any innocent passenger.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/cant-find-cabs-on-the-road-try-the-yard

It's time to let in the foreigners to take the job??? :ph34r:

Are you sure foreigner took away job of existing drivers

or

Existing drivers move embrace new business model?

This is a fundamental change in taxi industry in line with technological change. Just like what happen to Nokia or Blackberry.

Actually, Uber is the world No.1. It is Didi Kuaidi in China.

Orbi good to bolehland taxi driver. Their "parang" is very sharp to cut any innocent passenger.

when i was in jb, i always find it frustrating that all these taxie lao (all races) would rather sit around tcss and wait to chop people rather than drive around looking for passengers.

its almost impossible to find one taxi that runs on meter.

when i was in jb, i always find it frustrating that all these taxie lao (all races) would rather sit around tcss and wait to chop people rather than drive around looking for passengers.

its almost impossible to find one taxi that runs on meter.

in Sabah same, no 20RM no move backside

From free enterprise 霸王车 (private unregulated taxi) to yellow top taxi to GLC transport group regulated by authority and now we are back to 霸王车 era, the next 50 years will be very interesting indeed. Like Jack Ma says, better invest in young people when you are old.

So are we seeing the start of the end of rent seeking behavior with technology giving power back to common folks or is it the other way round? Uber is certainly not a charitable organization but it is certainly giving our fat cat taxi companies which are renting out cabs at $180 a day a fxxking wake up call.

• Praise 1

Just to share, yestersay morning I pick up a couple.

Firstly they checked my rating before I pick them up and when they see 4.9, they are thinking it should be a new driver.

While in my car, I passed them my namecard and the male rider suddenly shouted, Oh My God! You're Eugene.

I was like huh? How you know me?

Later he explained that I'm famous in uber/grab forum like the god-of-uber.

This is something to boost about in office with your colleagues.

• Praise 4

Firstly they checked my rating before I pick them up and when they see 4.9, they are thinking it should be a new driver.

While in my car, I passed them my namecard and the male rider suddenly shouted, Oh My God! You're Eugene.

howlian..... :a-fun: ........ :XD:

thumbs up for your endeavor :a-good:

I just checked my statements.

Total fares collected till date at $23k before less 20% uber fee.

Total payout to me as a uber contractor at $45k.

18 weeks of driving:-

Rental $320 per week

Petrol $350 per week

Misc cost including Un-chargeable ERP $80 per week

So is uber making money?

They are throwing huge amount of incentive to me.

• Dislike 1

if i remember correctly, corona was also use as comfort taxi.

attachicon.giftoyota-corona-comfort-taxi-1990s.jpg

this one i guess....

Those good old days in the late 1990s, when Corona taxi was introduced, flag down fee was only $2.20, and taxi meter jumps $0.10 every 400 metres for the first 10km, and every 350 metres for distances beyond 10km, and for every 45 sec waiting time.

Then came the early 2000s, the $1 peak morning period surcharge was introduced. Evening no peak period surcharge at that time.

As we moved towards the mid 2000s, Singapore started to be invaded by Foreign Talents in huge alarming numbers, and the rest is history.

The original Singapore that we grew up in, that we once knew, is now gone forever and ever! [angel][thumbsdown][bigcry]

Edited by Vinceng

Rating 4.9 means new driver? You mean the higher the rating no good?

Yesterday, i encountered a new driver who has no idea how to go to my destination. I have to guide him along.

On the plus side, he is polite and willing to learn.

I only gave him 3 starts with feedback that he seriously need to brush up on his navigation.

He didn't use a gps ?

Rating 4.9 means new driver? You mean the higher the rating no good?

There is a lot of perfect 5 because they are part timers.

Normally it's 4.7 or 4.8 which consider a very good driver already

↡ Advertisement