Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/framework-needed-for-third-party-taxi-apps#xtor=CS1-10

"In a statement, an Uber spokesman said it was looking forward to continuing its ongoing dialogue with the Government. "Uber has helped thousands of Singaporeans... become thriving driver entrepreneurs using our platform," he said."

ya until the day uber incentives become too low lor, by then uber shareholders wldve flipped out n whos left to start all over? the uber drivers... uber drivers shld realize the instability of their income as no biz survives perpetually making a loss

As consumer, Uber is good for me. By the time i leave office later, Uber will be waiting for me downstairs.

Without Uber, i need to wait long long for taxi later.

↡ Advertisement

As consumer, Uber is good for me. By the time i leave office later, Uber will be waiting for me downstairs.

everyone wishes they had a chaffeur waiting for them after work, reality is who is paying for this chaffeur? currently its uber...

Edited by Duckduck

Many years ago, "pirate" taxi driver is illegal and would be prosecuted.

Now, Uber has turned anyone into a "pirate" taxi driver and it appears to be ok.

What has changed ?

I think you have a misconception of uber... Even though they are private driver, their rates are transparent, they also have similar charges like our taxi drivers. unlike olden days 霸王车, whereby you must negotiate rate before boarding.

Like One TS mentioned, a uber will be waiting for you. How many times have you tried to flag down a taxi during peak hour only to see all taxis driving past you are on call? with the app,, you can see how many uber drivers are around your area, and how soon it will arrive your location.

What has changed?

Answer : no booking fee like our taxis, no queue, No peak hour surcharge....

Edited by Bezbee

everyone wishes they had a chaffeur waiting for them after work, reality is who is paying for this chaffeur? currently its uber...

I am paying for the chaffeur & Uber hor.

What is the advance timing you can start to book for uber?

Finally tried out the uber during morning and evening peak hours, surprisingly very fast in securing the ride! Driver arrived at my location within 10 mins! Fare wise, it is indeed cheaper than taxi, but cheaper only less than $5. Not a bad experience with uber, will definitely try again. Lol.

Edited by 13177

Let Damasick have shares in Uber.

Then thing will be easier to talk.

IMO tamadesick shld never b involved in transpork firms coz at some pt down d road itll b a political problem n kena like smrt

Turbocharged

IMO tamadesick shld never b involved in transpork firms coz at some pt down d road itll b a political problem n kena like smrt

Anything that can make money, from collect sewage to making ammo, they will chap ji kar

Uber and Grabcar driver's requirement is only 25 years old and 2 years driving experience but TDVL requires driver who are 30 years old. Effectively "killing off" a group of drivers from 25 - 29 years old but to include these group of drivers (25 - 29 yrs old) for TDVL will increase the commercial insurance premiums to a certain extend for taxi company thus the company may increase taxi rental. Car rental for Uber and Grabcar is much much simpler and cheaper...

Driving taxi for 12 months will be redundant since taxi company "tied" their new drivers (who took TDVL with them) for 24 months. There is no need for them to take the "12 months" drivers unless they start to lose a lot of their drivers to Uber and Grabcar after compulsory TDVL is implemented.

To achieve a "fair" balance is near impossible, either give up on the 25 - 29 age group or prepare the taxi company to absorb the cost of increased insurance premium if TDVL is compulsory. However it would impact the corporate chartered and limousine services. Uber and Grabcar are like "budget" limousine services, if they need to have TDVL then limo drivers will also need to do the same...

For me, no harm in getting a TDVL but work for Uber and Grabcar. Both are just apps to replace call centre. Taxi Company choose to stick on traditional way of call centre instead of innovating with technology thus losing their biz edge. Don't blame others for their failure to update with times... For taxi drivers, if they find their revenue from taxi is diminishing then they can switch to Uber or Grabcar anytime. Their resistance to new technology may be their ignorance. Those taxi drivers who embraced Grabtaxi, Ubertaxi (apps for taxi drivers) are still earning.

Oh and by the way, tamadesick IS GRABCAR's INVESTOR.

Edited by Carnoob
  • Praise 2

Finally tried out the uber during morning and evening peak hours, surprisingly very fast in securing the ride! Driver arrived at my location within 10 mins! Fare wise, it is indeed cheaper than taxi, but cheaper only less than $5. Not a bad experience with uber, will definitely try again. Lol.

Peak hr will have many drivers try to get a ride so no worries.

Sometimes if you lucky, the driver can reach you within 1 min.

One time, after turning a corner I received the ping and the fellow was standing right in front of me.

The fastest pickup for me and him I guess. [laugh]

Uber and Grabcar driver's requirement is only 25 years old and 2 years driving experience but TDVL requires driver who are 30 years old. Effectively "killing off" a group of drivers from 25 - 29 years old but to include these group of drivers (25 - 29 yrs old) for TDVL will increase the commercial insurance premiums to a certain extend for taxi company thus the company may increase taxi rental. Car rental for Uber and Grabcar is much much simpler and cheaper...

Driving taxi for 12 months will be redundant since taxi company "tied" their new drivers (who took TDVL with them) for 24 months. There is no need for them to take the "12 months" drivers unless they start to lose a lot of their drivers to Uber and Grabcar after compulsory TDVL is implemented.

To achieve a "fair" balance is near impossible, either give up on the 25 - 29 age group or prepare the taxi company to absorb the cost of increased insurance premium if TDVL is compulsory. However it would impact the corporate chartered and limousine services. Uber and Grabcar are like "budget" limousine services, if they need to have TDVL then limo drivers will also need to do the same...

For me, no harm in getting a TDVL but work for Uber and Grabcar. Both are just apps to replace call centre. Taxi Company choose to stick on traditional way of call centre instead of innovating with technology thus losing their biz edge. Don't blame others for their failure to update with times... For taxi drivers, if they find their revenue from taxi is diminishing then they can switch to Uber or Grabcar anytime. Their resistance to new technology may be their ignorance. Those taxi drivers who embraced Grabtaxi, Ubertaxi (apps for taxi drivers) are still earning.

Oh and by the way, tamadesick IS GRABCAR's INVESTOR.

Yep, instead of trying to make technology work for them, they cry father cry mother want the govt to do something.

Too protective.

Anything that can make money, from collect sewage to making ammo, they will chap ji kar

Agreed.

Remembered the food van when it was first started by a few entrepreneurs? Things were going well until they start to chap ji kar and regulate this and that. Can only sell during certain hrs, can only park where, must get licence from NEA, etc.

In the end, it died a natural death.

• Praise 2

One time, after turning a corner I received the ping and the fellow was standing right in front of me.

Yep, instead of trying to make technology work for them, they cry father cry mother want the govt to do something.

Too protective.

Agreed.

Remembered the food van when it was first started by a few entrepreneurs? Things were going well until they start to chap ji kar and regulate this and that. Can only sell during certain hrs, can only park where, must get licence from NEA, etc.

In the end, it died a natural death.

yalor!!! :yuush:

this ninja van thing is really a good thing until these jokers come along :confident:

let say I only interested to ferry people who are on the way type when I drive to work and come home, can I join uber or something like this?

let say I only interested to ferry people who are on the way type when I drive to work and come home, can I join uber or something like this? :grin:

Don't understand how come many drivers during peak hour? Though during peak hour the demand also high? Like taxi, you cant really get taxi during peak hour?!

Don't understand how come many drivers during peak hour? Though during peak hour the demand also high? Like taxi, you cant really get taxi during peak hour?!

There's an incentive scheme for drivers to drive during peak hours.

That's why Uber can come in ma. If so easy to get taxi during peak hrs, you think Uber got chance?

coz they give v high incentives. thats y fail to understand how theyll ever return to profit. only way is to remove alot of uber drivers later on when the customer pool gets really big

Edited by Duckduck

yalor!!! :yuush:

this ninja van thing is really a good thing until these jokers come along :confident:

let say I only interested to ferry people who are on the way type when I drive to work and come home, can I join uber or something like this?

let say I only interested to ferry people who are on the way type when I drive to work and come home, can I join uber or something like this? :grin:

What ninja van?

There's a courier company called Ninja van.

I talking about the food van that was at carparks.

No you can't bro. At least not for uber. There's some car sharing thing though.

coz they give v high incentives. thats y fail to understand how theyll ever return to profit. only way is to remove alot of uber drivers later on when the customer pool gets really big

They have already reduced the incentive by a lot. We called it the Decelerator scheme whereas they called it the Accelerator scheme.

With this scheme, a lot of Uber drivers have already given up driving for Uber already. No longer enticing.

↡ Advertisement