Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

It seems from all that I've heard the insurance issue that is my biggest worry is sorted out, for other social issues - what are you thinking?  Poor drivers or poor service?  Would be rapists as drivers?  Nothing has really surfaced along these lines so far right? 

The rental can never be at "half the cost of owning" - at least, not in the long term (but maybe possible over a short term) 

just thinking out loud, china already has a big group of young uber driver (or uber like), but over here taxi driving job is kind of target at jobless and older folk with least education. if you replace more than half of these old drivers (could even be only 50s) and what can these people do?

↡ Advertisement

will there be any 'social' issue in the long run?

many young people like to drive but can't afford, renting uber car at half the cost of owning a car get to drive around making money at the same time.

the only social issue which may happen is uber bankrupts coz right now its at big operating losse so alot of its long term plan depends whether they can execute the plan to return to profit, which remains 2 b seen... 

if that happens n alot of pple rely on uber for big income, then sure got social problems when they all suddenly no $

Edited by Duckduck

But uber and grabtaxi are filling up the gaps that the mainstream taxi drivers deliberately left out. 

comfort taxi can also use uber service as long as the taxi driver register himself.

i was standing at a roadside with busy traffic (one way 5 lane main road), i open the uber app and surrounding me there were a few uber vehicles, clearly some of them are normal taxi using the app.

i dun disagree that uber is a good alternative and taxi companies seriously need to rethink their business model.

But uber and grabtaxi are filling up the gaps that the mainstream taxi drivers deliberately left out. 

by operating at a loss with big incentives given... i hope they run it well to be profitable later on...

Supercharged

Not worthwhile with the $12K/year depreciation.

The commercial insurance is high and you cannot use ur NCD for it.

And the mileage racked up is high. U will be seeing ur workshop mechanic quite often..haha.

We got this Altis for less than a month and then mileage is almost 9000km!

I was initially thinking of buying a 2nd hand car and fully paid for it.

Then use as a uber car, as for commercial insurance, pay 3rd party with fire and theft since fully paid up for.

Maintaining is easier as I know where and how. I can manage my own maintenance, parts and reliability.

What's the feel/cost of a commercial insurance?

Confirmed gahmen would not let uber continue this way, esp if they continue to receive complaint from taxi drivers.

when is our garment so nice to our taxi-laos ?? They will do something cos of taxes/money and not the plight of the cabbies lah  [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

when is our garment so nice to our taxi-laos ?? They will do something cos of taxes/money and not the plight of the cabbies lah  [lipsrsealed]

taxi is few jobs only singies can apply for... thats being nice to taxi laos

uber grabcar anyone can apply right... FT from zimbabwe also can?

Edited by Duckduck

thought PR can also as I saw one news report said so. Maybe, this reporter also never researched properly... [laugh]

taxi is few jobs only singies can apply for... thats being nice to taxi laos

uber grabcar anyone can apply right... FT from zimbabwe also can?

sure something will happen one. $8 ministar already hinted liao.

Most likely is regulate the drivers and company... like go course, sit for test, get certificate, rental car must go annual inspection....

I've got a feeling, something may happened and the gahmen is not going to let uber continue this way.

Edited by Kangadrool

Yes, apparently it is a requirement of being allowed to drive for Uber / Grabcar that you show some proof of the relevant applicable insurance coverage. 

What this seems to be, in my mind at least, is a pre-emptive statement in general that private cars cannot be used as taxis. 

While Uber / Grabcar MAY require coverage, the statement didn't specifically address these ones - it cited them as examples.  There is always the potential that other apps may not be so strict, that drivers may have some private arrangement not through Uber / Grabcar* or that people might somehow circumvent the controls put in place to use a car other than the one approved by Uber / Grabcar. 

In summary - it's simply a pre-emptive warning that drivers need to have the appropriate insurance or face a big bill in the case of an accident. 

* The other day while queueing at Ikea, I was approached by someone asking if I needed transport home - I didn't need so I didn't ask further, but it would seem that it was someone trying to offer some sort of bootleg taxi service. 

alternatively, it may be a veiled attempt to scare customers away from taking uber/grabcar/other apps and stick to conventional taxi companies. Especially if taking also into consideration the recent news report in MSM abt the number of taxis lying idle in the yard.

Although I don't know why GIA would get into this fray.

It could be like you say.

I generally don't go in for conspiracy theory though.

Generally the simplest reason is the most likely...

Besides, if really wanna scare people away...talk about background checks more effective.

I have a concern that since uber drivers may be young drivers in their twenties, they may drive too fast , or not have enough rest if they try to meet the quota for incentives.  This means they are more accident prone.  Is this a valid scenario ?

I have a concern that since uber drivers may be young drivers in their twenties, they may drive too fast , or not have enough rest if they try to meet the quota for incentives.  This means they are more accident prone.  Is this a valid scenario ?

Young drivers already have their own premium loading, even with a private car insurance.

Commercial insurance will definitely have much higher loading on them.

It's for insurance to take up that risks.

But probably nothing much will happen until we read about serious accidents involving uber drivers/passengers, as is always the case.

Edited by Kb27

Young drivers already have their own premium loading, even with a private car insurance.

Commercial insurance will definitely have much higher loading on them.

It's for insurance to take up that risks.

But probably nothing much will happen until we read about serious accidents involving uber drivers/passengers, as is always the case.

Agree. But I was referring to the risk of endangering the passenger.

Agree. But I was referring to the risk of endangering the passenger.

Unfortunately, passengers can't demand the uber driver to be of certain age or qualification.

So they have to take the risks...until something happens when gahmen steps in, as always the case.

Or maybe there's a certain qualification by uber, i dunno.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement