Cause for car fires: overheating, engine electrical faults

Alheych

(edited)

I thought that I have been reading more about cars burning down on the roads. Indeed, earlier reports say that 106 cars caught fire in 2013, up from 100 in 2012. Meanwhile, 9 more motorcycles caught fire last year, as the number of cases rose by close to 40 per cent, to 32 cases last year. Are our cars getting lousier, or do people not know how to maintain their cars anymore?

SCDF: Overheating and engine electrical faults are main causes for vehicle fires

Published on Apr 05, 2014
5:46 PM

By Hoe Pei Shan

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) issued an advisory on preventing and handling vehicle fires after a taxi burst into flames on Saturday.

No injuries were reported in the Lornie Road incident, which occurred at about 1pm.

The SCDF went on to advise that most vehicle fires in Singapore occur while vehicles are travelling, often caused by ignition sources such as overheating and electrical faults within the engine compartment.

It said motorists should take their vehicles for regular servicing and checks on the electrical, engine and fuel systems.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/scdf-overheating-and-engine-electrical-faults-are-main-causes-vehicle-

Edited by Alheych
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Actually Lamborghini will get caught in fire if they get stucked in traffic jam because the engine cannot rest too long...

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

LTA should step in to prevent owners to make their rides "Bing Bing" at night. Those "Bings" are of a danger when wires are being tapped. And also, Mileage tampering is very common among 2nd hand dealers, so owners will not know the genuine mileage of what needs to be replaced or service.

Somehow, I thought a vehicle overheat will not cause fire, at most is engine ceased and some smoke. Anyone can clarify this? Fire are usually spark by faulty fuel systems or electrical components.

Supersonic

Are our cars getting lousier, or do people not know how to maintain their cars anymore?

Electrical faults is not just about "maintaining" cars.

Even if you sent your car in for regular servicing every 6 months, the danger can be present and overlooked by workshop.

Examples are people who install VS or what nots, a box strapped across battery terminals.

It has absolutely no protection, loose wire can move (as engine/car vibrates), get cut, and create short circuit situation.

Standard factory wirings and harness have protection for wires from moving and getting overloaded.

But once the owner starts installing aftermarket stuffs by the ah bengs, all the safety and protection is gone.

That's why insurance will protect themselves as well in any case of fire and claims.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Avoid parking near sources of rats infestation or potential source areas like coffee shops, rubbish chutes............

Rats is another source of electrical fires.

Observed recently that serious rats problem seems to surface again.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

The skill level , materials and the tools used by our so call " automotive electrician" in installing and servicing auto accessories is far from satisfaction. Most of them do not even have basic understanding of automotive DC system let alone have the right reference data book for reference.

So long as this red dot allows free movement of "FT mechanics" to work here without proper testing and certification , the problem will not go away but will get worse as car electrical and electronic systems get more advance & complex.

Cheap cannot be Good

Good cannot be Fast

Fast cannot be Cheap

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

seriously, a car has to be modified to catch fire while driving right ? i don't see how a normal engine will catch fire

(edited)

During one of the Sepang track day, an evo x return to the pit stop with flames in the engine bay. We popped the bonnet, and saw it was the original sound (or heat) insulation material that's burning. Luckily we had one ex-scdf guy with us, he immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire.

I am not sure if such material will catch fire under very high temperature.

The car surely no problem because that evo driver continued to track after putting out the fire.

Edited by LoneCatFish

seriously, a car has to be modified to catch fire while driving right ? i don't see how a normal engine will catch fire

Why don't you look at taxis! A lot of them catch fire without much explanation. I don't think taxi drivers are gonna modify their cabs.

Any repair /service caried out with improper or poor workmanship on the electrical , fuel systems etc can be the source of fire so long as there is sufficient high temp heat, oxygen and combustible material/ fluid.

Why don't you look at taxis! A lot of them catch fire without much explanation. I don't think taxi drivers are gonna modify their cabs.

New taxi comes without many add-on electrically powered accessories such as radio, GPS, credit card reader/printer etc etc. All these add-on accesories are carried out by sub-contractors using mainly "FT auto electricians". All these extras call for many length of electrical cables and joints to be used - just one poorly done join or wrong size electrical cable ( I hope they are using automotive cables and not just normal home lighting cable) and the taxi is going to be one of the potential fire fireball.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Avoid parking near sources of rats infestation or potential source areas like coffee shops, rubbish chutes............

Rats is another source of electrical fires.

Observed recently that serious rats problem seems to surface again.

I have personally encounter a friend's car.. got invaded by rats.. not sure if there was electrical fault but we only realise when there is a extreme foul smell and was told by aircon mechanic that a rat died somewhere at the engine bay..

rats invasion are indeed possible...

install fire extinguisher in car?

How much ah?

Many donkey years back, an italian fire extinguisher maker have come with a very innovative idea of installing powder fire extinguisher ( with few nozzles directly under the bonnet ) The activation is via pulling a handle located near the driver. The idea never catch on and it just die a natural dead.

Many taxi fires involve Chevrolet Epica models... Many countries (e.g. Australia, NZ & UAE) have issued recall on Epica diesel models due to fire hazard... Dunno if Singapore Chevy AD have rectified the risk on our taxis... Scary...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/9F0DF4F64A6C1A7BCA25795E000854A4

http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/autos/blogs/richard-bosselman/b/14213881/diesel-holdens-hit-by-recall/

↡ Advertisement